This whole thing about Arcade Fire

bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I've never heard of their songs and I believe that people in this forum are so fond of them. Anyone care to share their songs (thru Rapidshare or bla bla bla)? I'd like to listem to them. If they're great, I'd buy their albums.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    2nd'd. Let's hear a WOW song.
  • there are no wow songs...not even a rice crispy snap.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    wake up
    no cars go
    keep the car running
    rebellion (tunnels)

those are standouts to me.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I don't get the hype about them at all... maybe its a live show thing or something but they kinda bore me
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • bestsane wrote:
    I've never heard of their songs and I believe that people in this forum are so fond of them. Anyone care to share their songs (thru Rapidshare or bla bla bla)? I'd like to listem to them. If they're great, I'd buy their albums.

They're very different from PJ... very folk-inflenced. I got into them by listening to Neon Bible and then Funeral. If you listen to them let me know what you thought... :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Listen to the song "Black Mirror".

That's definitely a "wow" song.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    They are my favorite band - don't listen to all the haters on this board, they clearly have no idea what they are talking about ;)

Songs I would recommend checking out

Funeral:
    Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
    Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
    Wake Up
    Rebellion Lies

Neon Bible:
    Black Mirror
    Keep The Car Running
    Intervention
    Building Downtown (Antichrist Television Blues)
    The Well And The Lighthouse
    Windowsill
    No Cars Go

Six Feet Under Soundtrack:
    Cold Wind
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Funeral:
    Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
    Wake Up
    Rebellion Lies

Neon Bible:
    Keep The Car Running
    Intervention
    (Antichrist Television Blues)
    No Cars Go

When I first heard funeral the song that hooked me was Laika. Then Powerout.

I don't understand how some folks can listen to powerout, and rebellion and say they are snooze music, but i do know everyone has different taste so i don't want to come off as judgemental.

I really enjoy this band and i feel like it is a band most pj fans could enjoy. Espcially those fans who like myself were drawn to PJ becasue of their lyrics. When ten came out it felt like eddie was passionate about what he was singing and their was a lot of emotion behind the lyrics.

I feel the same with Arcade fire. I think that is the connection. As metioned arcade fire is a bit more folky based while PJ was classic rock based. The music is different. It is not your like most chunking power chord rock based songs, but their songs do build. Like a wave many of them getting bigger and bigger and crashing with passon at the end.

I hope i did not sound like a pitch fork reviewer there :( i do hate them but that is how i feel about their music.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • You guys need to take after the radiohead forum 'morti tempo'. There are multiple uploads in just about every thread in the 'other music' section. Don't just talk about how much you love the music - SHARE IT! That's the main reason I haven't heard Arcade Fire yet is because all you guys do is TALK about them and I'm broke! :rolleyes:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • You guys need to take after the radiohead forum 'morti tempo'. There are multiple uploads in just about every thread in the 'other music' section. Don't just talk about how much you love the music - SHARE IT! That's the main reason I haven't heard Arcade Fire yet is because all you guys do is TALK about them and I'm broke! :rolleyes:

I would mate but I don't know how to upload stuff. Someone else will, I'm sure.

Anyone?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    I listened to some iTunes samples... they're sort of OK I guess... but I still hate hate hate the singer's voice.

EDIT: If Rebellion is the most famous Arcade Fire song, then I can't imagine listening to a whole album of that. Yuck.
    I would mate but I don't know how to upload stuff.

Me too - I have had people (well - one really nice person) here upload music to me, but I am pretty computer illiterate and have yet to return the favor (haven't figured out torrents and all that jazz).

Normally if I am looking into a band I download a song or two off Limewire and then (if so inclined) I go out and buy the album.
  • I fixed your problem with uploading. :)

see: thread.

"Make our day"
  • The MaestroThe Maestro Posts: 100
    Intervention...the organ intro never ceases to blow my mind
  • Intervention...the organ intro never ceases to blow my mind

Agreed. My favourite 'wow' moment of the album is when this song changes key near the end. The bass notes of the organ on that bit thump me sideways.

You guys need to take after the radiohead forum 'morti tempo'. There are multiple uploads in just about every thread in the 'other music' section. Don't just talk about how much you love the music - SHARE IT! That's the main reason I haven't heard Arcade Fire yet is because all you guys do is TALK about them and I'm broke! :rolleyes:

the mods here shut any such thread down. they can be sued for hosting free music downloads.
  • Jennytree wrote:
    I don't get the hype about them at all... maybe its a live show thing or something but they kinda bore me

Agreed. It's boring drivel. It's like Pink Floyd minus the amazing music and lyrics. So basically what you have left is listening to a bunch of guys musically masturbate with a whiney voice interwoven.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    Todd76 wrote:
    They are my favorite band - don't listen to all the haters on this board, they clearly have no idea what they are talking about ;)

Funeral:
    Wake Up
    Rebellion Lies

Neon Bible:
    Black Mirror
    Keep The Car Running
    Intervention
    Windowsill
    No Cars Go

Cold Wind
    yeah i downloaded most of these songs from limewire but i have to listen to them a few more times to really get into them .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Agreed. It's boring drivel. It's like Pink Floyd minus the amazing music and lyrics. So basically what you have left is listening to a bunch of guys musically masturbate with a whiney voice interwoven.

yeah, cos pink floyd were never self indulgent.
    yeah i downloaded most of these songs from limewire but i have to listen to them a few more times to really get into them .....

cool - give 'em a chance.....I was pretty disappointed in Funeral when it first came out - but I grew to LOVE it, it's a creeper

clearly a matter of differing tastes - in my opinion it doesnt get ANY more boring and masturbatory than Pink Floyd (talk about boring drivel) and I really don't see any musical parallels between the 2 bands
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

Different strokes and all that.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Todd76 wrote:

Funeral:
    Wake Up
    Rebellion Lies

Neon Bible:
    Black Mirror
    Keep The Car Running
    Intervention
    Windowsill
    No Cars Go

Cold Wind

X2
    though I prefer the self titled EP version of No Cars Go.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780

Yes boring drivel, much like people who crash threads just to go against the grain.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • the mods here shut any such thread down. they can be sued for hosting free music downloads.
    what a load of horseshit. besides that, MT has been doing it forver and nothing except making that place incredible and exposing people to AMAZING music that they would otherwise never find has come of it.

"Make our day"
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Todd76 wrote:
    clearly a matter of differing tastes - in my opinion it doesnt get ANY more boring and masturbatory than Pink Floyd (talk about boring drivel) and I really don't see any musical parallels between the 2 bands

Wow, I guess everyone really is different. In all the discussions about why this band or that band suck, Pink Floyd was the one band that I thought everyone would be able to get into.
  • SLH916 wrote:
    Wow, I guess everyone really is different. In all the discussions about why this band or that band suck, Pink Floyd was the one band that I thought everyone would be able to get into.
    nah there's a lot of haters. You'll even get people to bash Bob Dylan and the Beatles believe it or not. Doesn't make them right though.. ;)

"Make our day"
    what a load of horseshit. besides that, MT has been doing it forver and nothing except making that place incredible and exposing people to AMAZING music that they would otherwise never find has come of it.

is MT an official forum? maybe that's how they've avoided being found out. all i know is any time a link is posted to copyrighted music, it goes down. philosophically, i agree with you. there are dozens of bands id never have listened to or paid money to hear if not for the internet. however, by your own admission, you don't buy the cd's, so you kinda are ripping people off.
  • is MT an official forum? maybe that's how they've avoided being found out. all i know is any time a link is posted to copyrighted music, it goes down. philosophically, i agree with you. there are dozens of bands id never have listened to or paid money to hear if not for the internet. however, by your own admission, you don't buy the cd's, so you kinda are ripping people off.
    I buy shitloads of cds and never said that I didn't. I have a fucking vinyl collection (not a bad size either). I go to record stores with the intention of spending 100-200 dollars on vinyl records or cds. But where the hell am I gonna get a Gerogergegege or Koenjihyakei cd in this country? (and those are just two of many many many examples..). Besides that, I don't really like the idea of the artist getting mere pennies (or even fractions of pennies) for their album selling and the record company getting the rest of that money. But I still buy cds.

And yeah, I think MT is official. It's the forum for Greenplastic which Thom and the guys visit and actually post on the forum occasionally.. but that doesn't seem much different than this forum or Red Mosquito. I just think our mods are being a bit paranoid and uptight :p

"Make our day"