Options

Bands with great B-sides

bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
edited March 2007 in Other Music
So what are the bands that come out with great & outstanding B-sides?
In my mind now there are 2 bands: Oasis and Pearl Jam.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Bright Eyes
    Ron Sexsmith
    Sarah McLachlan
    The Band
    Coldplay
    Cock Fight.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Tek Money wrote:
    Bright Eyes
    Ron Sexsmith
    Sarah McLachlan
    The Band
    Coldplay

bright eyes? i didnt find any of their b-sides to really add much to their catalogue that their originals didnt already say. but to each their own eh? :)

id say oasis is definitely a big one. like pearl jam, a lot of their b-sides surpass their album material.

some of the "lost crowes" stuff from the black crowes is pretty fantastic. would nico count as b-sides? cos if so... blind melon, definitely!
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Radiohead
    Pearl Jam
    Morrissey
  • Options
    bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    bright eyes? i didnt find any of their b-sides to really add much to their catalogue that their originals didnt already say. but to each their own eh? :)

id say oasis is definitely a big one. like pearl jam, a lot of their b-sides surpass their album material.

some of the "lost crowes" stuff from the black crowes is pretty fantastic. would nico count as b-sides? cos if so... blind melon, definitely!

I agree ...

Oasis and Pearl Jam have B-sides which surpass their album materials.
  • Options
    Smashing Pumpkins
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    REM- actually my favorite album is their b-sides
    Radiohead
    some smashing pumpkins
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    id also say nirvana had some stellar b-sides. again, a band whose best songs didnt always make it to the album.
  • Options
    Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    The Strokes have an AWESOME B-side called "Hawaii", if you like the Strokes at all you should at least listen to a snippet.
  • Options
    BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    The Pixies
    Radiohead
    Oasis
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Nirvana

a tough nut to crack being that you usually only bother with the b-sides of your very favorite bands
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,649
    bestsane wrote:

funny that this is the first thing i see when i open the thread. i was thinking oasis as soon as i looked at it. the masterplan might be one of their best albums, and it's nothing but b-sides. pearl jam has great b-sides too and some of their b-sides from lost dogs are album material and even some of their best songs, but unlike oasis' b-sides, i can see why some of the songs didn't make the final cut.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    smashing pumpkins
    nirvana
    foo fighters

and yeah, oasis, cause the masterplan is one of their better discs.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    COLDPLAY AND METALLICA

Coldplays b's are amazing

and Metallica......
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,348
    Smashing Pumpkins

i 2nd this....smashing pumpkins have some KILLER b-sides...I heard one that James Iha sings on

the who has some good b-sides too
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    PJ
    Pumpkins
    Incubus (Follow, Pantomime and Monuments and Melodies are 3 of my fave Incubus songs)
    Nirvana
    Radiohead
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    The Beatles
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Radiohead's pre-Kid A b-sides were consistently up there with the quality of their studio work, but their more recent stuff has been decidedly lower in quality(except "Cuttooth").

Smashing Pumpkins, I'll add in the countless outtakes and demos that exist as well, a nearly never-ending supply of songs, find the '89 Demos if you want a treat.

The White Stripes have a good collection as well, some of their better songs are b-sides.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Editors...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642

It's the only album I have and I love it. I just typed in b sides in my media search funstion and that is what I got.
    Cock Fight.
  • Options
    ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    gtbrown77 wrote:
    The Beatles

pah! they didn't even have any good a sides!

the wildhearts were a fantastic band for b sides - there were always at least 3 new tunes on any single release. caffine bomb and 29 times the pain were far better than much of the stuff that actually made it onto their albums!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    gtbrown77 wrote:
    The Beatles

I agree. Rain, You Know My Name (Look Up the Number), and The Inner Light being my favorites
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Blind Melon
    Nirvana
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Pearl Jam
    AIC

But then again, these bands listed can't make bad songs ;)
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,837
    The Shins shoulda put their B-side of the alternate version of Split Needles on the album instead of the version they put on the album. Upbeat vs. depressing, too totally different songs, and the former is better.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Nirvana - Even In His Youth

Teen Spirit b-side i think, great song.
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Brainofdz wrote:
    The Pixies
    Radiohead
    Oasis
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Nirvana

a tough nut to crack being that you usually only bother with the b-sides of your very favorite bands

I agree with this fellow, Pixies put out a good album of B-sides. More Frank Black yelping in spanish is a good thing.
  • Options
    funny that this is the first thing i see when i open the thread. i was thinking oasis as soon as i looked at it. the masterplan might be one of their best albums, and it's nothing but b-sides. pearl jam has great b-sides too and some of their b-sides from lost dogs are album material and even some of their best songs, but unlike oasis' b-sides, i can see why some of the songs didn't make the final cut.

yeah, but if lost dogs was only 1 disc, it'd easily rival masterplan. i wish masterplan had been 2 discs though.
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    bestsane wrote:

Pearl jam haven't put out a good b side for a while
    I would go with
    Coldplay, arctic monkeys, ocean colour scene ,travis and oasis.
    The beatles had some quality out to.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Black Crowes B-sides are often better than the official single.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    Gomez has basically put out two double disc b-sides records spanning their career.

I put them right up with In Our Gun as my favorite Gomez albums

as well
    Radiohead - Pre Kid A (as was mentioned)
    Foo's (TCATS & earlier)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    c'mon people!! BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he wrote 4 songs for every one he released. his Tracks boxset was good but do some digging for his old acoustic demos.. the shit that got him signed to Columbia. "Arabian Nights", "Cowboys of the Sea", "If I Were The Priest", "Southern Son", "Two Hearts In True Waltz Time", "Song For Orphans", "Balland Of The Self-Loading Pistol".. etc.