Bob Dylan

SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
edited October 2007 in Other Music
So who else digs him? (yea I said "dig")
Definitly on my top 3 for songwriting.
So cuss and discuss!
Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    LOVE Bob. greatest songwriter of all time.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Grossly overrated. He's written some legendary songs for sure, but most of his songs are pretty lame.

At least that's the way I feel right now. Who knows how I'll feel about him 1, 5, or 10 years down the road.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I only have Blonde On Blonde and a Greatest Hit's album.

I love the way his voice changes all the time. His songs are mellow and beautiful and good to sing along to.

...I just wanted to give my thumbs up.
    DOSW wrote:
    Grossly overrated. He's written some legendary songs for sure, but most of his songs are pretty lame.

At least that's the way I feel right now. Who knows how I'll feel about him 1, 5, or 10 years down the road.
    let's take a look at Bob's output in 1965. he released Bringing it all back home, Highway 61 revisited and Blonde on Blonde in the same year. 3 of the greatest albums of all-time. overrated? no. just because he has been inconsistent doesn't mean he's overrated. you're bound to slip up in a 40+ year career.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I have a few of Bob's albums. Enjoy all of them!
    Magnificent talent, one of the greats!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    Bob Dylan is like Tom Waits, or vice versa-brilliant writers, but

all of their songs sound great when someone else is singing them
    Get_Right wrote:
    Bob Dylan is like Tom Waits, or vice versa-brilliant writers, but

all of their songs sound great when someone else is singing them
    ok I understand with Bob but with Waits that is just wrong. he has such an endlessly fascinating voice. so many different sides to it. why would you ever want to hear Rod Stewart singing Downtown Train for example? it's a travesty.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Bob is amazing. One of the best shows I've seen. Seeing him play: Masters Of War, Highway 61, and Like A Rolling Stone back to back was incredible.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I went through a big Bob Dylan stage when I was in High School.....when everyone else was listening to Gangsta Rap....I was considered "the weird one".........it just doesn't get better than Bob on "Tangled Up in Blue".
    "It's all happening"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i just bought no direction home today. i love me a good music doco.
    i wanted to buy that new pj one, but it seemed to be lacking some songage.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    bob dylan pisses on the beatles and whipes his ass with their love songs
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    glasshouse wrote:
    bob dylan pisses on the beatles and whipes his ass with their love songs

did you go surfing at j bay and have some great white bite your board. cause youve not been the sweetest apple in the barrel lately. :D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    did you go surfing at j bay and have some great white bite your board.

haha :D ~ i wish!
    i feel strong about Dylan and his music ;)
    and i've never been sweet :cool:

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    glasshouse wrote:
    ....and i've never been sweet :cool:

yes... i'm slowly realising that. :D;):p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Greatest lyricist ever, but definitely not best songwriter.
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    one of my most treasured moments was meeting him at MSG. very reclusive - practically trembling as he shook my hand. but i am so proud to say that i met such an icon in the music industry :)
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    ok I understand with Bob but with Waits that is just wrong. he has such an endlessly fascinating voice. so many different sides to it. why would you ever want to hear Rod Stewart singing Downtown Train for example? it's a travesty.

I wouldnt, but I find waits' voice to be unbearable, not matter which side im hearing. Its harsh and irritating IMHO.
  • Even his shit is better than most peoples' gems.
    Even his shit is better than most peoples' gems.

i agree.
    btw dylan is just as good a songwriter as a lyricist

• glasshouse wrote:
    i agree.
    btw dylan is just as good a songwriter as a lyricist

I'm just gonna go ahead and say, no freakin way. Tons of standard singer-songwriter chords, no crazy arrangements. Not much complexity at all to his music, but the guys lyrics should be compiled into a book of poetry.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    standard singer-songwriter chords, no crazy arrangements. Not much complexity at all to his music.

complexity has nothing to do with a "good" song mate
    most of the greatest songs written are extremely simple. (i give you Mozart)
    let's just agree to disagree

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    glasshouse wrote:

No, don't agree to disagree.... you're right. :)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    glasshouse wrote:

Why do you think Mozart songs are simple?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    gates of eden

is such a fucking terrific song

I started reading "Dylan on Dylan" (the essential interviews) two days ago. and have since been listening to....

freewheelin'...
    the times they are a changin'
    another side of bob dylan
    to compliment the book.

i've been on a dylan hiatus prior to this book for some time. It so good to listen to the man again.

next up is highway 61 and so on and so on. This is going to be quiet the musical/artistic journey.

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I really can't remember when Sir Bob finally clicked with me. It was some time after I had already seen him in concert twice, knowing nothing more than the big ones at that point. It didn't happen immediately after I saw him and perhaps his association with The Band was what caused me to dig deeper, but he is definitely a legend and one of if not the greatest songwriters ever.

I think the part of his genius that sticks with me the most is that he writes song that say so much and mean so much, but he doesn't beat you over the head with it all the time. He's the Madonna of real music in that he has changed or altered his persona several times throughout his career and I think his last three albums contain some of the best work of his career

I don't get Radiohead, some people don't get Bob
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Bob Dylan rules. Def one of my favorite artist. Although Live, He seems to be hit or miss but the man is a genius. I really got into Dylan because of his contribution in the Traveling Wilburys. Actually I got into all the artist in the band that way, but really dug Dylan's work on those records. "Tweeter in the monkeyman" is one of my favorite Bob sung wilbury tracks.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • ramborambo Posts: 170
    Dylan is awsome, just saw him twice in st.john's and he can still put on a pretty good show, in my top 5 artists of all time for sure
    st. john's newfoundland, sept 24/2005
    st. john's newfoundland, sept. 25/2005
    song to woody
    blowin' in the wind
    girl from the north country
    masters of war
    hard rain's a gonna fall
    don't think twice, it's all right
    corrina corrina
    the times they are a changin'
    with God on our side
    only a pawn in their game
    boots of spanish leather
    the lonesome death of hattie carrol
    chimes of freedom
    it ain't me baby
    subterranean homesick blues
    maggie's farm
    mr. Tambourine man
    gates of eden
    it's allright ma
    it's all over now baby blue
    like a rolling stone
    tombstone blues
    ballad of a thin man
    highway 61 revisited
    desolation row
    rainy day woman #12 &35
    pledging my time
    visions of johanna
    one of us must know
    4th time around
    obviously 5 believers
    sad eyed lady of the lowlands
    all along the watchtower
    lady lady lay

• IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    I'm going to see him in exactly one week. It will be my first Bob Dylan's concert. Hope his voice won't be too shitty but the guy is a legend in music history so it can't be bad :)
    By the way, the good thing is that the venue is just 10 minutes walk from my apartment.
    The week after I'll be seeing Neil Young. That's a pretty cool month since I just saw RATM last week ...