Have you heard of "Captain Beefheart", what do you think?

ViggoViggo Posts: 274
edited December 2007 in Other Music
The title pretty much speaks for itself.

I love the music. Kinda psychedelic punk/rock&roll kinda music.

I read on wikipedia that Cpt. Beefheart influenced Kurt Cobain. I like this picture, reminds me a lot of Eddies pic.

Cpt. Beefheart: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e1/Captainbeefheart.jpg

Eddie: http://aycu20.webshots.com/image/38059/2001371868420609160_rs.jpg

They are both really private. There are few interviews with him. And they both paint. One more than the other (the captain).

I recommend you to listen to their music. Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band.
It's okay, It's okay
You don't have to run and hide away
It's okay, it's okay
I love you anyway
2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    my dad keeps going on about him :S

never heard anything
  • Beefheart rules. His albums are all different from each other so you can't listen to just one. He retried from music in 1982 to become a painter full time, and he made far more money with his paintings than he ever did making music.

Trout Mask Replica is his most famous, yet fucked-up album. I think it's funny when unsuspecting people who've never heard him before buy it or listen to it and are replused.

Some of Beefheart's best albums are out of print on CD which is a bummer.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I bought Trout Mask Replica and its rubbish
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    very weird. i don't care for it.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    maybe looks more like Dave A

where can i find some music?
  • fada wrote:
    I bought Trout Mask Replica and its rubbish

In your opinion.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    JWBusher wrote:
    Beefheart rules. His albums are all different from each other so you can't listen to just one. He retried from music in 1982 to become a painter full time, and he made far more money with his paintings than he ever did making music.

Trout Mask Replica is his most famous, yet fucked-up album. I think it's funny when unsuspecting people who've never heard him before buy it or listen to it and are replused.

Some of Beefheart's best albums are out of print on CD which is a bummer.
    Like My Decals Off, Baby never even got a CD release I don't believe... which is a tragedy.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Like My Decals Off, Baby never even got a CD release I don't believe... which is a tragedy.

There was an excellent American CD and a Japanese CD that were available only briefly. I bought mine when it was new so I luckily didn't have to pay a fortune on eBay years later. There are lots and lots of bootleg CD copies. Most copies you'll see on eBay are boots. Some of them use vinyl as the source.
    JWBusher wrote:
    There was an excellent American CD and a Japanese CD that were available only briefly. I bought mine when it was new so I luckily didn't have to pay a fortune on eBay years later. There are lots and lots of bootleg CD copies. Most copies you'll see on eBay are boots. Some of them use vinyl as the source.
    yeah, I have a CD-R which I think is sourced from the vinyl but I'm not sure.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    Or torrents (illegal of course...............)
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
    Viggo wrote:
    Or torrents (illegal of course...............)
    If you don't make it commercially available, you can't expect people not to download illegally :D
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I just started listening to the Cap about a year ago...it's definitely an acquired taste. It requires work to actually appreciate Beefheart's stuff, especially Lick My Decals and Trout Mask. Safe as Milk, Clear Spot, The Spotlight Kid are more straight-forward, but still full of weird stuff. His late 70's/early 80's stuff is pretty out there, but still high quality (Ashtray Heart, for example, is awesome...I love the line "somebody's had too much to think") After listening for awhile, you'll find yourself appreciating certain things, such as:

- the guitar tone in Moonlight on Vermont

- the drums on Sure Nuff 'n Yes I Do

- the way that Beefheart sounds like a crazed Van Morrison on the song Doctor Dark

- The interplay b/w Beefheart and The Mascara Snake before the ultra bizarre Pena (I love it when The Mascara Snake snickers and says "Christ" - there's a layer of humor under Beefheart's music that's hard to miss)

- The surprisingly straight-forward, very soulful song Too Much Time on Clear Spot

and so on...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • If you trip to Trout Mask you'll laugh your face off. I love it.
    the Minions
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    zappa. without him, who is captain beefheart??

his vocals on willie the pimp are great, for the first 1:30...then we get a nice 8 minute jam. oh frank, how i love you
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Beefheart forever
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • He's the greatest lyricist of the twentieth century. Shits on Dylan. I'm deadly, deadly serious.
  • GetALifeGetALife Posts: 563
    Hi there!

Well, after I started seriously listening to music and playing guitar with the help of the Rolling Stones, I read a review about Frank Zappa's "Hot Rats", bought the album and was on fire...I was 13 years old then. On the record Beefheart sings on "Willie the pimp" - great. I collected Zappa's whole discography (almost 70 records) and a handfull of boots (different to PJ, he let the FBI persecute bootleggers...he authorized just a dozen (released on 'Swinging Pig Records') to have control about some of the better ones) in 4 years. Captain Beefheart, as you might know, was his childhood friend in Lancaster, CA (Mojave desert) and they listened to and played music together...on Zappa's "Lost Episodes" (1996) there are a few old and later tracks never released before with Beefheart singing and narrating. I love his performances on the Zappa/Beefheart-project "Bongo Fury", especially "Debra Kadabra". I'm not that into Beefheart, but I really like "Trout Mask Replica", which Zappa produced. I like his voice and harmonica style (both very 'dirty').

Did you know how Beefheart got this last (artist) name?
    I'll tell the story if you are curious...I have to look it up in Zappa's autobiography and translate it...

Rock on, my friends!
    2000: Hamburg
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Munich * Düsseldorf
    2009: Berlin * Manchester * London
    2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin
    2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen
    EV 2012: Amsterdam I & II
    2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin
    EV 2017: Berlin
    2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin
    2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II #
    2024: Berlin I & II

~~~

“It is curious that while good people go to great lengths to spare their children from suffering, few of them seem to notice that the one (and only) guaranteed way to prevent all the suffering of their children is not to bring those children into existence in the first place.”
    ― David Benatar - Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence

• I think Beefheart blows Zappa away. I hate it when people say he's a Zappa offshoot. There's a used record store here that puts Beefheart albums in the Zappa section, which is a fucking insult.
    JWBusher wrote:
    I think Beefheart blows Zappa away. I hate it when people say he's a Zappa offshoot. There's a used record store here that puts Beefheart albums in the Zappa section, which is a fucking insult.

I agree. They would even have Mick Jagger in the "J"-section, before, let's say Jethro Tull and Ian Anderson solo stuff in the "A"-section. Where's that store? Should we blow it up ;)

~~~

“It is curious that while good people go to great lengths to spare their children from suffering, few of them seem to notice that the one (and only) guaranteed way to prevent all the suffering of their children is not to bring those children into existence in the first place.”

GetALife wrote:
    I agree. They would even have Mick Jagger in the "J"-section, before, let's say Jethro Tull and Ian Anderson solo stuff in the "A"-section. Where's that store? Should we blow it up ;)

...but I don't agree that he blows Zappa away...I know too little stuff from Beefheart but I know that they can't be compared...they are really different musicians and writers...

~~~