what are some of the best MMJ songs? trying to get into them...thanks
"oh please........
let it ran today
this city is so filthy
like my mind in ways....."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Why are you trying to get into them? If you want to like them listen to everything. If you like them you like them.
    Cock Fight.
  • clayton12clayton12 Posts: 335
    They are my all time favorite band so my favorites are

I Will Sing You Songs
    Phone Went West
    Steam Engine
    The Bear
    One Big Holiday
    O Is The One That Is Real
    War Begun

the list goes on and on and on....
  • The song that made me a fan: One Big Holiday (live version)

Now, it is def not my fav song by them, but I still do love it.
    Drunk by noon but that's ok
    I'll be president someday

I have been to, and have the following posters framed:
    Hartford 96,
    Boston 98, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    just get the album Z..................class!
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    Tek Money wrote:
    Why are you trying to get into them? If you want to like them listen to everything. If you like them you like them.

helpful!!!!
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    Get Z, it's a good place to start with lots of great songs - Off the Record, Lay Low, Anytime...actually the whole thing is great.

Or, you can get a bunch of their live stuff free off archive.org - try their show from the 40 Watt in Athens, GA March 7, 2007. Some good covers on that one too.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    I was actually waiting for them so say "I hear Pearl Jam likes them... so I want to like them"

Well, I suppose that goes without saying.
    Cock Fight.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    buy there live cd, its one of the greatest live cds in the last 10+ years
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Lay Low (Z)
    Run Thru (It Still Moves)

these are by far my 2 favorite songs from MMJ, but the other songs they have are pretty damn incredible also. I would say that Z has the most songs that i like but It Still Moves is a real close second...

in other words.. just get those 2 albums!
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Go to http://www.archive.org/details/etree and do a search for My Morning Jacket. You can stream and d/l live recordings of various qualities. The 12/31/06 show is broadcast quality. Good stuff.

As far as studio stuff goes, some of my favorites are:

One Big Holiday
    Run Thru
    Off The Record
    O Is The One That Is Real
    Dondante
    It Makes No Difference
    The Way That He Sings
    Gideon
    Lay Low
    Anytime

Cobra is cool, but you probably wouldn't want to start with that one.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    what are some of the best MMJ songs? trying to get into them...thanks

"Wonderful Man" - has a great melody!
  • STEAM ENGINE
    just one thing
    rolling back
    i wil lsing you songs
    dodante
    lay low
    off the record
    Heart Breaking man
    the bear
    I wont cry
    Just because i do
    i needed it most
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • try some of these:

the bear
    old september blues
    i will be there when you die
    by my car
    at dawn
    death is the easy way
    phone went west
    strangulation!!!
    mahgeetah
    one big holiday
    i will sing you songs
    it beats for you
    off the record
    lay low
    dondante
  • anything on at dawn or it still moves.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    Tek Money wrote:

haha, yeah i agree with this statement, i don't know why you would try to like a band, just listen to what you like. but if you'd like to check them out, yeah i'd say everything they have put out is great. the only thing i could say is if you are TRYING to get into the band, i'd probably say stay away from the tennessee fire at first because it is probably their least accessible album for the casual listener, but it's still phenomenal, and might actually be my favorite. but anyway maybe start with it still moves or z. if you're more into classic rock start with it still moves, if you're more into more modern rock, and experimental stuff start with z.
    Tek Money wrote:

Thats a great statement. I remember when Coldplay first came about..I loved "yellow", but thought the rest of the stuff was too whiney. I saw them live a few times at radio shows, and thought they were boring. The third time I saw them at a radio show, I was in the very front pit, and after a few songs, I said to my friend "I don't see what people see in them", and I went to get a soft Pretzel.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Thats a great statement. I remember when Coldplay first came about..I loved "yellow", but thought the rest of the stuff was too whiney. I saw them live a few times at radio shows, and thought they were boring. The third time I saw them at a radio show, I was in the very front pit, and after a few songs, I said to my friend "I don't see what people see in them", and I went to get a soft Pretzel.

what does that have to do with anything?.........by the way i changed my mind on what you should listen to if you are checking mmj out for the first time. i'd probably go with okonokos because it's a good mix of songs from all of their albums, almost a greatest hits although they really haven't had any hits.....but yeah anyway it gives you a good idea of what they are all about
    what does that have to do with anything?.........by the way i changed my mind on what you should listen to if you are checking mmj out for the first time. i'd probably go with okonokos because it's a good mix of songs from all of their albums, almost a greatest hits although they really haven't had any hits.....but yeah anyway it gives you a good idea of what they are all about

It has to do with trying to like a band, even if it doesn;t come naturally.
    fair enough, but in your story you just said you like one song and thought the rest of the stuff was whiney, and you went to a few shows and they sucked. it didn't say anything about you trying to like the band, but oh well. i was just making sure you weren't trying to compare coldplay with my morning jacket because there is no similarity. not that there is anything wrong with coldplay because i think they are a DESCENT band....but nothing compared to mmj
    fair enough, but in your story you just said you like one song and thought the rest of the stuff was whiney, and you went to a few shows and they sucked. it didn't say anything about you trying to like the band, but oh well. i was just making sure you weren't trying to compare coldplay with my morning jacket because there is no similarity. not that there is anything wrong with coldplay because i think they are a DESCENT band....but nothing compared to mmj

I don't think Coldplay was the point.

The point was. Don't force something that isn't there.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    I don't think Coldplay was the point.

The point was. Don't force something that isn't there.

Exactly!

Luckily, Tiki is a helluva ballplayer, so who needs good reasoning skill!
    :)
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Exactly!

Luckily, Tiki is a helluva ballplayer, so who needs good reasoning skill!
    :)

WORD
  • WORD

ouch
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***