Whats happened to Gomez?

GillGill Posts: 56
edited February 2007 in Other Music
I'm a huge fan of Gomez, have been for a few years now, but when their new album came out last year, i have to say i was disappointed. Its got some amazing tracks on it, like Notice, See the World, How We Operate and All too Much, but all the other tracks seem quite poppy and not at all Gomez-like.

As well as that, they've moved over to america and seem to have forgotten about the uk. They'll tour there, but not in any of the smaller venues in which i've previously seen them in.

I know each band has to evolve, but to me it just seems like Gomez have evolved in the wrong direction. You look at the wacky-wierdness of Bring it On or Liquid skin, and then compare it to How We Operate, and i'm not too happy!

Still love them, but wish they'd go back to alternative and rock.

What do other people think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I LOVE the new Gomez record. It's definitely got more of a blues/alt-country feel to it, and it's a bit more straight ahead than previous records, but that's why I like it. There's no f**kin' around on this album. It seems like they made a conscious decision to tone down the weirdness and experimentalism and just focus on their songwriting and showing off their sublime vocal harmonies. I think it's a great album.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • I love their older stuff too. I never really got into the newest album, but didnt give it too much a chance. However, I did find cool clip on youtube of them on Leno - I think it was How we Operate. It is an awesome live cut!

I just received an email also that they are putting out a cool DVD.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    its supposed to be a beatles concept album right??

DAMN GOOD! chasing ghosts with alcohol
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    It's a solid album. I still think the last record (Split the Difference) is their weakest. Minus some incredible songs like Catch Me up, Do One.

I do miss some of the experimentation but if you pick up the new 2 dics set "Five Men in a Hut" theres plenty to tide you over until the next record.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Liquid Skin rocks.
  • mohomoho Posts: 541
    Gill wrote:
    I'm a huge fan of Gomez, have been for a few years now, but when their new album came out last year, i have to say i was disappointed. Its got some amazing tracks on it, like Notice, See the World, How We Operate and All too Much, but all the other tracks seem quite poppy and not at all Gomez-like.

As well as that, they've moved over to america and seem to have forgotten about the uk. They'll tour there, but not in any of the smaller venues in which i've previously seen them in.

I know each band has to evolve, but to me it just seems like Gomez have evolved in the wrong direction. You look at the wacky-wierdness of Bring it On or Liquid skin, and then compare it to How We Operate, and i'm not too happy!

Still love them, but wish they'd go back to alternative and rock.

What do other people think?

I saw Gomez three times this Year in Oxegen then Dublin and then Belfast and they were fuckin amazing all three times. The belfast show was in a tiny venue... tiny!
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • I'm seeing them at the Sonar on March 10th. My first Gomez show since I didn't catch them at 'Roo last year... hopefully they're amazing.

Split the Difference is my favorite, but I came along on How We Operate... that was my first CD by them to which I loved, but then I started getting their older catalog and saw they had a lot of different sounds on their older CDs... which was a very pleasant surprise. Can't wait to see them and Ben Kweller open for them!
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    well i hear you Gill
    the first 3 records were brilliant! In Our Gun wasn't so well received but i think its still on par with Liquid Skin and Bring It On

as many people have said the last 2 records hae been solid with great songs in their but overall not as complete as the first 3.

In addition to the songs you mentioned Gill i think 'Charley Patton Songs' & 'Tear Your Love Apart' kick ass

one thing is for sure 'Split the Difference' IS definitely their weakest album
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I thought Bring It On was great, heard the follow-up and thought it was tuneless, sounded like a couple of students knocking about.

I cannot be the only one as they seem to have slipped off the radar since, or at least I havent heard much......