Favourite Beatle?

GillGill Posts: 56
edited January 2007 in Other Music
When i was just getting into their music (i was very young and foolish), i just generally assumed Lennon and McCartney were the fabulous ones, and whilst they are amazing, i would possibly go so far as to say George Harrison almost overtook them in terms of amazing songs. He wrote Taxman (a magnificent opening for Revolver) - Love You Blue (makes me smile ;D) - Within You Without You - I Me Mine - Here Comes the Sun - While My Guitar Gently Weeps - the list could go on. Don't get me wrong, Lennon and McCartney were wonderful and created some classics, but there's something about Harrison's music that really sticks in my mind and makes him my current favourite! His songs seem to be able to put emotion across so much more clearly and artistically, almost. Lennon and McCartney almost seemed to be fighting each other for the biggest hits.

Ringo obviously rocks, too, but i almost feel sorry for him. Just in the way Lennon would taunt 'he's not even the best drummer in the beatles', and the way they jokingly laughed at his nose in 'A Hard Day's Night'. I think he took it in good stead, but he was the one who almost left a few times, wasn't he? And he was the last one to join.

In the end, though, the Beatles wouldnt have been The Beatles without all four of these amazing musicians, and i really wish i was alive in the 60s to have lived through it all!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    John
    George
    Paul
    Ringo

They all brought something unique to the table which, as Pearl Jam fans, we may know more about than any other band since The Beatles
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I have to say macca but I love it if he would stop with that the peace signs
  • John
    George
    Paul
    Ringo

They all brought something unique to the table which, as Pearl Jam fans, we may know more about than any other band since The Beatles

I'll second that exact order.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Ringo! He's short and cute. I was second row at a Ringo Starr and his all-star band in 1989. I reached my hand out and he touched my fingers. Man, that was cool! I told my parents and my mom said You touched a Beatle!.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I'll second that exact order.

Third.
  • i've always been a big fan of lennon. he appeals to me the most. but paul was great in the beatles, too. they complimented each other. lennon would come out with 'in my life', paul would come out with 'here, there and everywhere'. paul had 'get back', john had 'come together'. and i've started getting into paul's dvd concerts. i have 3 of them now. but i've also come to appreciate george's songs more since he died(why is it always after someone dies??) i used to just think he was a great guitarist who wrote filler, but he wrote some AMAZING songs like 'within you without you'(which i used to skip on sgt. peppers) and 'blue jay way' which i have finally come around to. he gave the beatles a unique sound.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • John Lennon, hands down.

His political conscience, and his great songwriting skills helped the beatles immensely.

I wasnt around when he died, but I imagine it was really a tough time for Beatles fans, and most especially, Yoko, Sean, Julian and Cynthia
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    cutback wrote:
    Third.
    i'll 4th it, although for me john and george are a very close tie. i love george
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I agree that all the members of The Beatles brought something to the table during the band's years, but in my opinion AFTER The Beatles, John Lennon truly became my favorite.
  • george
    paul
    john
    ringo
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • I'm actually related to John Lennon, somewhere along the line. I'm going with Paul.
  • I'm actually related to John Lennon, somewhere along the line.

distant cousins??
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • aBoxOfFear wrote:
    distant cousins??

Yep. The research is there. Check the McGuires.

Or Maguires, too. It's a common mis-spelling in this context.

Edit: http://www.lennon.net/familytree/sub/mary_maguire.shtml Okay, dig a bit in that direction. ;)
  • as a musician, I must say Sir Paul Mc Cartney. But as a person and artist in general, my favourite is definetely John Lennon.
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • I like George's post-Beatles stuff the best, but it seems like the majority of my favorite Beatles tunes were written either by John or Paul. I love George, but I would have to put him a very close third.
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    George has some great songs, however they are only some. Still eventhough he may have less songs on the albums, the ones he did have are absolutely brilliant. Still I prefer John, Strawberry fields just has it all.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    Im going with Pete Best..lol... John great song writer
    grimmy
  • john,paul,george,ringo
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    john,paul,george,ringo

ha ha great answer. :)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    George
    John
    Ringo

Paul.

I respect what John, George, and Ringo did with their lives after their time in the Beatles. Can't say the same for Paul.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    gleemonex wrote:
    George
    John
    Ringo

Paul.

I respect what John, George, and Ringo did with their lives after their time in the Beatles. Can't say the same for Paul.

How so? Or do you mean his music? I think he did what was in his heart. He always wanted a family and he had that.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Paul's my favorite.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • poto101poto101 Posts: 406
    yoko!!!!!

jk of course

John
    Paul
    George
    Ringo
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Gill wrote:
    i would possibly go so far as to say George Harrison almost overtook them in terms of amazing songs. He wrote Taxman (a magnificent opening for Revolver) - Love You Blue (makes me smile ;D) - Within You Without You - I Me Mine - Here Comes the Sun - While My Guitar Gently Weeps - the list could go on.

George never came close to touching John and Paul in the Beatles. when an album has 6 john songs, 6 paul songs, and 1 George song, the case is closed right there. That being said, he may have been the best solo artist.

my personal favorite Beatles songs from George are It's All Too Much and Only A Northern Song from the Yellow Submarine album
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tough to pick any one person, as you remove one beatle, you take away part of the heart and soul of the band. but lennon for me always wrote some of my favorite beatle songs.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • i went through a month and a half of pure beatles indulgence in 02. it was magical and about falling in love and all that. we started with loving everything George, then John, and then Paul. They are so great in their own way musically. if i had to pick one to hang with, i'd definately say George.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown