What is Bruce thinking?

Otis64Otis64 Posts: 41
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Hello out there!

Just before I say anything, for the record I consider myself a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. Seen him many times, have every album. Love the man and his music. It is Bruce who actually got me hooked on Pearl Jam after watching him and Eddie Vedder do Betterman together a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I know there is a whole thread praising the Seeger Sessions album and tour, but am I the only Bruce fan who cannot wait for this to FINALLY END?

I listened to the album about twice {and that was enough } and considered going to one of the US shows that didn't sell out, but didn't in hope that the tour would end and the Bruce we know and love would return to regular form.

I guess this Seeger thing is really big in Europe and didn't do as well here, but I read this morning that Bruce told a crowd in Dublin that "You'll see them again" , referring to the Seeger Sessions band. My heart sank after reading that.

I don't know. I guess everyone has different tastes in music, and Bruce has stumbled in his career before, but how long can this Seeger stuff go on? It is good that he likes to mix up his music so it doesn't all sound the same, but I'll take a Glockensphiel riff over a Banjo anyday. How about another E Street album or even another solo album? Anyone with me on this Seeger stuff or am I just a sore sport?
It's Gonna Be A Long Walk Home
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    *raises hand* I'm with you! I've never seen Bruce live before, and I'm dying to do so. But not with the Seeger Sessions band...

I figured the album was just a one-time departure, and I still think it is. He'll probably go back and make the next album by himself or with the E Street Band. It would REALLY surprise me if he made another album like We Shall Overcome.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Otis64 wrote:
    am I just a sore sport?

you're just a sore sport. :rolleyes:

i only say this because with all of your criticism , it comes from listening to the album at home ? :confused:

you even mention yourself the SSB was so much more well received in Europe then in the US , which is why the tour resumed across the pond , as well as no closing dates over here in the States. :mad: Regardless of where geographically the shows took place ,- the results were the same - everyone out of their seats and enjoying themselves at one point or another throughout the show .15 musicians onstage , and not 1 electric guitar .

part of Bruces allure is that he changes things , re- does songs that are 100 years old , and his mastery of storytelling. This can be found amongst many of his Seeger Sessions Band music , and even has crossed over into his own personal catalogue of songs being re-arranged in this big band format . So many of the Bruce diehards felt the same way immediately after " Ghost Of Tom Joad " or Nebraska came out, and now they are some of the Bruce Fans' favorites.

I guess it is up to personal preferences- as you are not the only fan who is not happy with the SSB experimentation. And, for even better news , there are multiple rumours about a new E Street Band Album / Tour . ( possibly 07 sometime )

Oh and just so you know beforehand, the Bruce " we all know and love " will be returning, but word is he will carry a little of The SSB with him back to the ESB .

i was lucky enough to catch 3 of these SSB shows & it was something different , something fresh , but i didnt go there expecting to hear " Born To Run " and " Rosalita " , and being that i actually attended 3 shows , i can draw a more concise conclusion then someoine who listened to the new CD twice ( that was enough ) at home. :rolleyes:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • to Otis 64: wow man you're a real fan! Im sure Bruce thanks you for your support.

But seriously, dont you get tired of listening to the same old shit over and over(15 nights at the Meadowlands couple of years back???) Thats why Bruce did the solo tour and the Seeger Session Band, he needed to change it up a bit in my opinion...
  • Otis64Otis64 Posts: 41
    GeorgeinNY wrote:
    to Otis 64: wow man you're a real fan! Im sure Bruce thanks you for your support.

But seriously, dont you get tired of listening to the same old shit over and over(15 nights at the Meadowlands couple of years back???) Thats why Bruce did the solo tour and the Seeger Session Band, he needed to change it up a bit in my opinion...

As I said in the first post, it is good that Bruce mixes up the music. I never said it wasn't. Just some people aren't into everything he does. Everyone has different opinions. I happend to love the solo tour he did. Those were some of his best performances ever. It just seems as if this Seeger experiment is dragging on forever. That's all I was trying to say. But I guess speaking out against the Boss is a sin.
    It's Gonna Be A Long Walk Home
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Otis64 wrote:
    speaking out against the Boss is a sin.

:D

[size=+2] " Faith Will Be Rewarded " [/size]

;)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    i dont really like his music. but i think the seeger sessions are great. better yet, the concert i saw of it is the best thing i ever did see.

long live the seegers sessions band!
    I change by not changing at all.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i love much of bruce's stuff, but i really, really hate the seeger sessions. early 20th century folk covers?! come the fuck on. even bruce cant make that good. these songs are just lame and its just disappointing frankly. i hope he gets it out of his system, we need one more really great e street band record.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.