Can someone tell me about Kaki king?

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited April 2008 in Other Music
she is supporting foo fighters. I have never heard of her. I'm looking her up now. I am a bit worried, should I be????

I just found this. She wrote music to several scenes for famed actor/director Sean Penn's Into The Wild movie. Its soundtrack features music by Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder as well.

Also this...

Having fans like Dave Grohl and Eddie Vedder must be amazing. Do you get a lot of young fans writing in to you for advice?

Yes, I do – a lot. At gigs, they will bring me their records or talk about their bands. A huge part of my fan base is musicians. I just tell people to forget about the posters and forget about the t-shirts and venues and just work on your music until it is something that is undeniably good. Then, no one can say that it is crap or that they can’t play or write – just love your own music. The best thing about that is when something is good, word of mouth – something that you can’t buy or manufacture – will happen. That is the most important thing that you can do for your career. I tell people not to worry about sending a press kit out; just play really good music and make it as good as it can be.
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• quarterpastquarterpast Posts: 185
    I was lucky to stumble onto her a while back (She was on a satellite radio station at a store where I worked). If you have seen an August Rush trailer, or the movie, you have heard her and seen her hands. She also did some great little dities for Into The Wild. Kaki is a very creative artist and very fun to listen to!
    You should never worry about seeing any artist, they each have a craft. Sometimes they may seem shallow, sometimes a bit unpracticed (a good way of saying bad), but they are all trying and it is music.
    If only I could get her tapping and slapping methods down on my bass...
    rock bands may come and rock bands may go...
    but rock n roll will live forever! - ray davies
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I was lucky to stumble onto her a while back (She was on a satellite radio station at a store where I worked). If you have seen an August Rush trailer, or the movie, you have heard her and seen her hands. She also did some great little dities for Into The Wild. Kaki is a very creative artist and very fun to listen to!
    You should never worry about seeing any artist, they each have a craft. Sometimes they may seem shallow, sometimes a bit unpracticed (a good way of saying bad), but they are all trying and it is music.
    If only I could get her tapping and slapping methods down on my bass...

Thank you. I am worried about seeing people I don't know. I once saw a band support the band Live. Their name was Iota and the lizard man. Ever since then I question any band I have never heard of. :D He was poo (A good way of saying shit)
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • raszputiniraszputini Posts: 119
    She's a classical-jazz acoustic guitar player with a really sick "hands-on" style. She literally attacks the fretboard. I think she's part Asian and from NYC. I caught her set at 10KLF last year and it was pretty incredible. She has a very unique, percussive way of playing guitar -uses wierd chord formations - like making a G chord by ""tapping" three notes simultaneously. Very wierd sound. Use a lot of strum-handed bass techniques ala Flea and Claypool.

You should check her out. Definitely unique. Not a tired Ani DiFranco ripoff.