Who the FUCK are going to support the fooies?

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Well? Suggestions?
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjfan31 wrote:
    Well? Suggestions?
    Read this:
    http://www.foofightersblog.com/2008/01/los-angeles.php

Down the bottem, Nate mentions Kaki King might be supporting them.
  • They should get the other "Greatest Mediocre Band" in the world, Nickelback, to co-headline with them. They could then hire Axl's friends, The Pigeons Of Shit Metal, to open for them. People sure have low expectations for bands these days.
  • Good lord, if you can't tell the difference in quality between the Foos and Nickelback there's no hope for you.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    Good lord, if you can't tell the difference in quality between the Foos and Nickelback there's no hope for you.

Much less the difference between Nickelback and the Eagles of Death Metal...
  • Good lord, if you can't tell the difference in quality between the Foos and Nickelback there's no hope for you.

somebody else on here compared them recently...

what the hell?

Dave Grohl is a pure genius. the foo fighters rock so hard it's hard to believe. How on earth could they even be used in the same sentence as nickelback :(.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I agree about them being very average/boring but I would never compare them to Nickelback.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I agree about them being very average/boring but I would never compare them to Nickelback.

Have you seen them live? Boring is not the word I would use to describe one of their shows. IMO, they're fucking awesome.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    They should get the other "Greatest Mediocre Band" in the world, Nickelback, to co-headline with them. They could then hire Axl's friends, The Pigeons Of Shit Metal, to open for them. People sure have low expectations for bands these days.

I agree with this post.
    Have you seen them live? Boring is not the word I would use to describe one of their shows. IMO, they're fucking awesome.

I find their songs boring, doesnt matter if they are live or not.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I find their songs boring, doesnt matter if they are live or not.

go see them. you will change your opinion. i wasn't a huge fan until i saw them live and they were incredible. hell, just check out there live dvd, "everywhere but home" or something like that. its pretty impressive as well.
    go see them. you will change your opinion. i wasn't a huge fan until i saw them live and they were incredible. hell, just check out there live dvd, "everywhere but home" or something like that. its pretty impressive as well.

I wouldnt spend that much money on a band I dont even like that much
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I just realized that I've seen the foo fighters 3 times... I saw them once in high school and then twice in college. I really used to like them! And now I don't even think about them.

I have to agree that they are boring now.
  • I was just thinking the other day about how Foo Fighters have become the new corporate rockers. Corporate rockers for the grunge age. It's stuff that becomes popular and wins awards and you can't understand why becasue it's so trite and "safe", like Journey or Genesis or something. Nobody gave a shit about them in the early days when they were actually good.
  • I still don't understand the whole business of basing an opinion on the singles a band releases - they're very rarely the best songs on the record. The Foos' latest album, is without doubt the most accomplished and varied record of their career. They have always been a mainstream band, so this whole notion that they've become a corporate sell-out or something is rubbish.

I'll totally agree that In Your Honour wasn't very good, and aside from a couple of songs it's easily their least appealing record. The new one however, is a totally different beast. Sure The Pretender and Long Road To Ruin are fairly familiar sounds from them, but stuff like Let It Die, Come Alive, Statues and Home, are all well written and show a new strength in songwriting.

I think a lot of people wrote them off a while back and now just won't give them a chance. Shame.
  • The truly great bands...almost everything they release is solid and groundbreaking, even the singles.

When a band consistently puts out singles for every album that are monotonous and uninspiring, even if the deeper tracks are "better"...in my opinion, that tells me that they really aren't that good.
    If money is the root of all evil, then how come most religions ask for so much of it from their followers?
  • I still don't understand the whole business of basing an opinion on the singles a band releases - they're very rarely the best songs on the record. The Foos' latest album, is without doubt the most accomplished and varied record of their career. They have always been a mainstream band, so this whole notion that they've become a corporate sell-out or something is rubbish.

I'll totally agree that In Your Honour wasn't very good, and aside from a couple of songs it's easily their least appealing record. The new one however, is a totally different beast. Sure The Pretender and Long Road To Ruin are fairly familiar sounds from them, but stuff like Let It Die, Come Alive, Statues and Home, are all well written and show a new strength in songwriting.

I think a lot of people wrote them off a while back and now just won't give them a chance. Shame.

oh yeah the singles are not their best stuff (though I have to disagree- The Pretender is one of my favorite songs). I mean I got kinda bored with them during the In Your Honor Period and stuff too...and what was that album before One by One (like with Hero on it- never really liked that song too much)? I only liked about half that. But the self titled, the colour and the shape, one by one, and e, s, p, & g are definitely up there as the favorites in my whole collection. there is so much passion in foo fighters music...that's what I love about it. You can FEEL their music. And it's so heavy and melodic at the same time. that to me is perfect music. Everlong is one of my favorite songs of all time...and the E,S,P&G...probably the best album of the past decade IMO.
  • goint to see them at wembley and would love to see the mighty D support them!!
  • The truly great bands...almost everything they release is solid and groundbreaking, even the singles.

When a band consistently puts out singles for every album that are monotonous and uninspiring, even if the deeper tracks are "better"...in my opinion, that tells me that they really aren't that good.

So when was the last time Pearl Jam released a groundbreaking single...perhaps the Miller Lite has erased my memory. I certainly wouldn't call WWS groundbreaking....good song, but far from groundbreaking or utterly inspiring.

That said, I missed out on Foo for a while after the first album, but rediscovered them a few years back. The new album is a fuckin' masterpiece and you can bet your ass they are one of the best live acts around...no doubt about it....if you disagree, you haven't seen them or you have your mind already made up with no intention of changing
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all

I agree with this and will be the first to admit that PJ's last album did falter a bit in this category.

IMO, the last GREAT PJ album was Binaural.
  • So when was the last time Pearl Jam released a groundbreaking single...perhaps the Miller Lite has erased my memory. I certainly wouldn't call WWS groundbreaking....good song, but far from groundbreaking or utterly inspiring.

Alright, maybe WWS is not a truly "groundbreaking" song, but, it's pretty damn good! And, it's far superior to anything the Foo Fighters have ever released as a single, except for Everlong, which is their only "great" song.

But this isn't about comparing PJ to the Foo Fighters, because, as most would agree, that's just ridiculous.
    That said, I missed out on Foo for a while after the first album, but rediscovered them a few years back. The new album is a fuckin' masterpiece and you can bet your ass they are one of the best live acts around...no doubt about it....if you disagree, you haven't seen them or you have your mind already made up with no intention of changing

I've seen them...I saw them way back when they opened for Mike Watt (Ed on guitar)...I'm not sure if they even had a name back then, it was just Dave Grohl's new band. They all came out dressed in drag. They were alright, not great, not terrible. I haven't seen them live in person since, but I have seen them play live on TV, the internet, etc. They're tight, they play their songs well...Dave kinda sucks when it comes to screaming like he does on the studio recordings.

If someone finds a band's songs dull, seeing them play those same dull songs in a live setting, even if they play them really well, that won't do much to change that person's feelings towards the band.
    was it?....
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I love the Foo Fighters... Only seen em live one time (well two days at bridge) and they were AWESOME!
    Great energy, great sound, and great songs!!!
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    i like this band i think the breeders should open .
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I agree with this and will be the first to admit that PJ's last album did falter a bit in this category.

IMO, the last GREAT PJ album was Binaural.

No arguments here.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    So bhack to my point, Who is going to open for them?

Foo fighters are a ripper band, Pearl jam is just way better. End of argument.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • pjfan31 wrote:
    So bhack to my point, Who is going to open for them?

Foo fighters are a ripper band, Pearl jam is just way better. End of argument.

I heard Jimmy Eat World were opening for them on some dates in the US. Would suit me fine, JEW are a great live band.
  • I saw them 2-2-08 in Oakland, a great show!! 2 hrs before show started bought the tickets, had been discussing with my friend all week, checking tickets & only available were obstructed nosebleeds, refreshed the page & seats came up in the 2nd row lower sec center. During the show they all came out to the smaller stage right in front of us & did an acoustic set. It was excellent!! Thought i'd share :)

Also saw them at bridge ;)
  • Last time I saw the Foo Fighters they were supported by Juliette And The Licks who made the whole evening a lot of fun.

I think Serj Tankian is a possibile opener.
    www.myspace.com/andreasjunge
  • When I saw them in January Jimmy Eat World and Against Me were opening. Now, they've got Against Me and Serj
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I agree about them being very average/boring but I would never compare them to Nickelback.

I DO agree however they are a great live act (however far far from Pearl Jam)
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    No opinion regarding the subject of the thread, but...

Calling the Foo Fighters the "fooies" should never, ever, EVER happen again. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win