Are Led Zeppelin musical hacks???

sapperskunksapperskunk Posts: 684
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Don'y be fooled, the title's just for shock value, I am a fan, but I heard an awful rumor about them stealing and uncrediting multiple artists. After some quick research I found this. Is it true? Will somebody please tell me these are wrong? Cause that's a lot of different artists that they stole from if that's the case.

Now by popular demand! A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

Plagarizmo Extraviganto?
www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Page freely admits that many of their songs were derived from earlier songs, but also that in turn those artists were derivative as well. He jokes that Plant didn't chnage the words enough at times.
    All music is derivative at some point.
    I read that ZEp actually tried to give royalty to the family of one artist for a line or 2, can't remember which one, but teh family used it as an excuse to sue them for the whole song, so they backed out.
    What ZEp did though, was to take those songs to another realm altogether. It was more a respect than a rip-off.

You also forgot "Out on the Tiles " which is a derivation of an old drinking song Bonzo used to sing in pubs.

Not hacks, amazing band, MUCHO RESPECTO DUO !!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'd never heard about the Stairway to Heaven rip-off before but I listened to a clip on Amazon and it's eerily familiar. Just go down and click on the song Taurus for a clip: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Spirit/dp/B00008WT4L/sr=1-5/qid=1165804953/ref=sr_1_5/104-1532200-4403962?ie=UTF8&s=music
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I think that the Zep songs are much more in the style of those songs as opposed to blatant plagarism. In the same vain that GTF is like Going to California, or Yellow Ledbetter is like Little Wing. Not rip offs, just in their style. That's how the built their own style, by writing songs similar to those that influenced them.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • adam42381 wrote:
    I'd never heard about the Stairway to Heaven rip-off before but I listened to a clip on Amazon and it's eerily familiar. Just go down and click on the song Taurus for a clip: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Spirit/dp/B00008WT4L/sr=1-5/qid=1165804953/ref=sr_1_5/104-1532200-4403962?ie=UTF8&s=music

WOW
  • There's at least one ancient blues song on every one of their albums. True.

And they absolutley play the hell out of them - and besides, no one would give a fuck or would have heard the songs at all without Led Zep.

So who cares?

Zep rules.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • There's at least one ancient blues song on every one of their albums. True.

And they absolutley play the hell out of them - and besides, no one would give a fuck or would have heard the songs at all without Led Zep.

So who cares?

Zep rules.

Yeah but why didn't they pay those guys, it's not like they couldn't afford it?
  • Yeah but why didn't they pay those guys, it's not like they couldn't afford it?
    *shrugs*

I never really thought about it. Kind of sleazy but it still doesn't really bother me.

"Make our day"
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    adam42381 wrote:

Its clearly similary, and most probably influenced them, but I wouldn't say they ripped them off. That's how music evolves. I don't think it's a big deal at all.

Also, Stairway to Heaven changes a lot throughout the song. That's only similar to the begining.
  • yosi wrote:
    Its clearly similary, and most probably influenced them, but I wouldn't say they ripped them off. That's how music evolves. I don't think it's a big deal at all.

Also, Stairway to Heaven changes a lot throughout the song. That's only similar to the begining.

But you know, If somebody recorded that "taurus" song for the first time in the present, people would scream bloody murder. I don't know how Zep got away with it.
    But you know, If somebody recorded that "taurus" song for the first time in the present, people would scream bloody murder. I don't know how Zep got away with it.

Yea, but those people screaming bloody murder are probably people who don't really know shit about music. It evolves. People imitate their influences. It's not a bad thing.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I've heard many of the originals and they do deserve credit where credits due.. but i do not think zeppelin's credit should be taken away.. they used their influences and created a fucking genre.. that is still influencing bands today.. lets face we might not even be here today talking about pearl jam if it wasn't for them!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    bharQ wrote:
    I've heard many of the originals and they do deserve credit where credits due.. but i do not think zeppelin's credit should be taken away.. they used their influences and created a fucking genre.. that is still influencing bands today.. lets face we might not even be here today talking about pearl jam if it wasn't for them!
    never mind pj,there wouldnt be rock music period if it wasnt for zeppelin.doesnt anyone think that cready at one point or another has stolen a riff from a another gutarist or ed stealing a lyric from another songwriter and making it his own
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    never mind pj,there wouldnt be rock music period if it wasnt for zeppelin.doesnt anyone think that cready at one point or another has stolen a riff from a another gutarist or ed stealing a lyric from another songwriter and making it his own

yeah it happens a lot more now.. because so much as been done already

when led zeppelin were starting out they weren't ripping off hard rock artists because.. well.. they were still in the process of inventing that genre.. what they did do is use their blues and folk influences to create their groundbreaking sound... thus creating a musical orgasm.. especially for back then
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • never mind pj,there wouldnt be rock music period if it wasnt for zeppelin.doesnt anyone think that cready at one point or another has stolen a riff from a another gutarist or ed stealing a lyric from another songwriter and making it his own

Do you know of any instances for sure where PJ rips off someboy else?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    umm yeah in the song gone.the lyrics
    If nothing is everything
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
    If nothing is everything

are taking from a who song.theres probably many more times when pj has copied a riff or gotten idea for a song,from another artist
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• umm yeah in the song gone.the lyrics
    If nothing is everything
    If nothing is everything

are taking from a who song.theres probably many more times when pj has copied a riff or gotten idea for a song,from another artist

Vedder occasionally pays tribute to Pete Townshend in a song he writes all on his own...

As for Zeppelin, no other band from their era can top them...NOONE!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Don'y be fooled, the title's just for shock value, I am a fan, but I heard an awful rumor about them stealing and uncrediting multiple artists. After some quick research I found this. Is it true? Will somebody please tell me these are wrong? Cause that's a lot of different artists that they stole from if that's the case.

Now by popular demand! A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
    "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
    "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
    "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
    "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
    "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
    "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
    "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
    "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
    "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
    "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
    "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
    "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
    "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."

Plagarizmo Extraviganto?

In a way most musician are, I think they all borrow a little here and little there, I think the difference with the legends like led zeppelin is that they take what is borrowed and improve upon it and take it to a new level.

I remember reading once (by a music producer, can't recall who) that AC/DC might be one of the most original bans ever. Now I can't say if thats true or not mostly because I probably don't know much more about music than the average fan.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • beemster wrote:
    In a way most musician are, I think they all borrow a little here and little there, I think the difference with the legends like led zeppelin is that they take what is borrowed and improve upon it and take it to a new level.

I remember reading once (by a music producer, can't recall who) that AC/DC might be one of the most original bans ever. Now I can't say if thats true or not mostly because I probably don't know much more about music than the average fan.

I think the shock value stems from it being Zeppelin, yeah they improved upon it, but that doesn't make it right. If this was some new shitty emo band uncrediting people that's one thing, but we're talking about a hugely influential group that a LOT of people love.
  • Vedder occasionally pays tribute to Pete Townshend in a song he writes all on his own...

As for Zeppelin, no other band from their era can top them...NOONE!!!

The first few chords of "Breakerfall" are the same as the Who's "I Can See for Miles."
  • The first few chords of "Breakerfall" are the same as the Who's "I Can See for Miles."
    "black red yellow" might as well be a Who cover medly.

"Make our day"
  • in response to the title............jimmy page DOES play guitar like a drunk 5 year old live.........
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403

This is a good point. McCready freely admits the Alive solo was every SRV riff he knew and it sounds totally like it. Doesn't stop it from being great, or worthwhile in it's own right.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The 5th member of Led Zeppelin was Willie Dixon.
  • Pretty much every 60's rock band borrowed heavily from old blues without paying any royalties. Nobody payed attention to that stuff back then. Cream, the Stones, the Doors, and many others are equally as guilty as Zeppelin. I'm not saying it's right, but Zeppelin shouldn't take all the heat for it.
    Yellow Ledbetter is obviously influenced/"ripping off" Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing. GTF takes part of the melody from Zeppelin's Going to California.
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811

Great songs you might never have heard of if Led Zeppelin hadn’t immortalized them.

Anybody have any of these songs?

Bert Jansch was a guest at this years Bridge School Benefit. He’s an early influence of Neil Young and Jimmy Page. Check out that version of “Black Water Side.” Acoustic guitar fans will like it. Dazed and Confused by Jake Holmes - This one will pop your eyeballs out. Most of these songs were recorded (barely) by some old dude, solo with his guitar. “When the Levee Breaks” by Memphis Minnie is a lot of fun. Not listed, try n’ find the Joan Baez cover of “Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You” this will make your ears bleed. But this is the music that inspired all those young lads way back when.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago