Stone Temple Pilots

pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Hi guys, just need some advice on STP. I've got Core which I think is okay and Purple which I absolutely love. But never got round to trying any of the band's other albums.
Where should I start?! Tiny Music? Shangri-La Dee Da? No 4?!!!!
Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• of the three you have left, I would rank them:

1. Tiny Music
    2. Shangri-La
    3. No. 4

get em all.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Check out Tiny Music, it has Seven Caged Tigers which is probably my favourite STP song. Other standout tracks: Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart, Tumble in The Rough, Big Bang Baby and Lady Picture Show. The only track which I dont like is Art School Girl. Also check out Atlanta on No 4 which is brilliant. Their greatest Hits Thank You has a bonus DVD which is amazing, check it out.
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    lowlight10 wrote:
    of the three you have left, I would rank them:

1. Tiny Music
    2. Shangri-La
    3. No. 4

get em all.
    I agree with that.
    Tiny music is really good. really different from their first two albums
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Tiny music is my favorite. I always though No. 4 was a kickass record, but i'm in the minority there.
  • Get 4

This might be blaspheme, but it's my favorite of theirs.
  • pirlo21 wrote:
    Hi guys, just need some advice on STP. I've got Core which I think is okay and Purple which I absolutely love. But never got round to trying any of the band's other albums.

Tiny Music and No. 4 rule. Shangri-la not so much but it's got some good tracks on it.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    lowlight10 wrote:

1. Tiny Music
    2. Shangri-La
    3. No. 4

get em all.
    Sounds about right to me.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    MrSmith wrote:
    Tiny music is my favorite. I always though No. 4 was a kickass record, but i'm in the minority there.

I'm one who likes No. 4 better than Tiny Music.

That being said, Core and Purple blow the rest away.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • I think No. 4 is great. It's probably their heaviest record. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I think I will now. I'd put it above Tiny Music and Shangri-La Di Da (but I like both of those albums as well).
  • GetALifeGetALife Posts: 563
    I

Love

"no. 4"
    2000: Hamburg
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Munich * Düsseldorf
    2009: Berlin * Manchester * London
    2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin
    2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen
    EV 2012: Amsterdam I & II
    2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin
    EV 2017: Berlin
    2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin
    2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II #
    2024: Berlin I & II

~~~

“It is curious that while good people go to great lengths to spare their children from suffering, few of them seem to notice that the one (and only) guaranteed way to prevent all the suffering of their children is not to bring those children into existence in the first place.”
    ― David Benatar - Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence

• shangri-la is by far the best of them all in my eyes.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • how i rank them

1. Tiny Music...
    2. Purple
    3. Core
    4. No. 4
    5. Shangri La De Da

the first 3 are excellent all the way through, No. 4 was half good, and SLDD had maybe 3 or 4 songs worth listening to

Also, download "All in the suit you wear" off their greatest hits. It was better than ANYTHING they recorded for SLDD.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    lowlight10 wrote:

1. Tiny Music
    2. Shangri-La
    3. No. 4

get em all.

That's how I would list it too. They are a phenomenal and totally underrated band. I definitely like them at least as much as PJ if not more.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • i'd say get no.4 first, then tiny music... then shangri-la.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    listen to

1 - Tiny Music
    2 - No. 4
    3 - Shangra Li........

also, good suggestion about that 1 track on the Greatest Hits record.

Killer
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,224
    pirlo21 wrote:

I would get them in that order, but definitely get them all. Hot damn were they a fantastic live band...I need a reunion!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    pjl44 wrote:
    Hot damn were they a fantastic live band...I need a reunion!
    Yes..............and yes.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Speaking of STP, how is Scott Weiland still alive?
  • Tiny music is by far the best by STP. Was my favorite band 11-12 years ago, now I pretty much just like Tiny music. Haven't listened to no.4 in years and years, Core and Purple sound so generic and just bore me now.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Cheers guys. That's been a big help. Already ordered Tiny Music on the strength of you advice. Think I might go for No 4 next.

Don't know what it is at the moment, although I've had the albums for over tem tears I just can't stop listening to STP's Purple & Blind Melon's Nico at the moment!!!

Once again, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
    Cymru Am Byth

1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Cheers guys. That's been a big help. Already ordered Tiny Music on the strength of you advice. Think I might go for No 4 next.

Don't know what it is at the moment, although I've had the albums for over tem tears I just can't stop listening to STP's Purple & Blind Melon's Nico at the moment!!!

Once again, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Good move ordering TM, the album is out of this world. I personally would have gone with SLDD over No. 4, but both are great, and both have some killer songs. With TM, the whole album is phenomenal. I believe that with No. 4 and SLDD too, but not quite as good, but with some seriously awesome tracks, such as Glide, Atlanta, Church on Tuesday, No Way Out on No. 4. And Coma, Hollywood Bitch, Hello Its Late, Wonderful, Too Cool Queenie, Bi-Polar Bear, and Transmissions From a Lonely Room on SLDD.
    Cheers Yosi. I don't know why I haven't got into their other albums sooner, I absolutely love Purple & have heard good things about the later albums.

Looking forward to hearing Tiny Music now, should have it midway through next week. I'll get back to you all when I've had a few listens!!
    Cymru Am Byth

• Pirlo, when you get Tiny Music, may I suggest 1 song? Adhesive...Adhesive...Adhesive. For my money, the best song they ever wrote.
    yieldtome wrote:
    Pirlo, when you get Tiny Music, may I suggest 1 song? Adhesive...Adhesive...Adhesive. For my money, the best song they ever wrote.
    oh yes ! this song is perfect ! a masterpiece !
  • shangri-la is by far the worst in my eyes
    Core is by far the best

They have some REALLY good and some REALLY bad. Core and Purple is all you really need... but if you get one of them get tiny music...
    shangri-la is by far the worst in my eyes
    Core is by far the best

They have some REALLY good and some REALLY bad. Core and Purple is all you really need... but if you get one of them get tiny music...

I don't really like to say this about taste, and opinions, and what other people like, but you're wrong.
    Just to update you, got my copy of Tiny Music on Weds. Only had 3 or 4 listens, but from what I've heard it's fantastic.
    Adhesive is a cracking track as is the album closer. I'm sure more & more tracks will grow on me as time goes by.

Really glad I got it, cheers for the info guys.
    Cymru Am Byth

pirlo21 wrote:
    Just to update you, got my copy of Tiny Music on Weds. Only had 3 or 4 listens, but from what I've heard it's fantastic.
    Adhesive is a cracking track as is the album closer. I'm sure more & more tracks will grow on me as time goes by.

you're welcome ! enjoy... sicne I read your thread a few days ago, I've listened 2 or 3 times to Tiny music.... adhesive is really one of their est songs ever. and yes, the closer of the album is very good too
    Just read that Weiland has got himself arrested for driving under the influence!
    Sounds like he refused to give a sample too!
    Cymru Am Byth

pirlo21 wrote:

Awesome, I'm glad you enjoy it. Adhesive and Seven Caged Tigers are two unbelievable songs. This album is just so damn underrated.