I've made a decision. It's Superunknown.

pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
edited January 2008 in Other Music
I've finally decided that Soundgarden's 'Superunknown' is my all time favourite album!!

I'm not gonna be so arrogant as to say "it's the best", because like any art form, it's all down to personal taste and opinion.

After nearly 15 years, it's easily the album I listen to the most and get the most out of.
Only Pearl Jam's 'Vs' and Blind Melon's 'Soup' come anywhere near.

I just find it incredible that an album with so many obvious influences, can still manage to sound totally unique, original and innovative.
You can hear the slow, sludgy riffs of Black Sabbath. The mystical musings of mid-career Led Zeppelin. The psychedelic rock of Pink Floyd. The pop melodies of the Beatles. As well as hints of AC/DC, Tom Waits & Grateful Dead.
But despite all this, the album sounds unlike anything I've ever heard.

It's not just the flagship songs, the title track, 'Fell On Black Days', 'Spoonman' & 'Black Hole Sun', that make the album great. The lyrics and the textured layering of the sound make 'Let Me Drown', 'My Wave', 'Mailman' & 'Fresh Tendrils' more than just straight forward rockers.
Then there's the doomsday, apocalyptic feel to 'Limo Wreck', 'Day I Tried To Live' & '4th Of July'. Had it not been written years earlier, 'Limo Wreck' could easily have been about 9/11.

The beauty of the lyrics to 'Like Suicide' and the left field Eastern sound of 'Half' just add to the complexity of the album.

When you consider that Soundgarden are the only band from the 90s Alt/Rock scene that could get away with a track like 'Head Down' and the fact that 'She Likes Surprises' could easily have been found on a Beatles album, is just the final tick in the box for me.

This, of course, along side Chris Cornell's unparalleled vocals, Kim Thayil's unique guitar sound, and also that drummer Matt Cameron & bassist Ben Shepherd add so much as songwriters and not just as musicians.

Feel free to agree or disagree. It only my opinion!
Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pirlo21 wrote:
    I've finally decided that Soundgarden's 'Superunknown' is my all time favourite album!!

I'm not gonna be so arrogant as to say "it's the best", because like any art form, it's all down to personal taste and opinion.

After nearly 15 years, it's easily the album I listen to the most and get the most out of.

I just find it incredible that an album with so many obvious influences, can still manage to sound totally unique, original and innovative.
    You can hear the slow, sludgy riffs of Black Sabbath. The mystical musings of mid-career Led Zeppelin. The psychedelic rock of Pink Floyd. The pop melodies of the Beatles. As well as hints of AC/DC, Tom Waits & Grateful Dead.

It's not just the flagship songs, the title track, 'Fell On Black Days', 'Spoonman' & 'Black Hole Sun', that make the album great. The lyrics and the textured layering of the sound make 'Let Me Drown', 'My Wave', 'Mailman' & 'Fresh Tendrils' more than just straight forward rockers.
    Then there's the doomsday, apocalyptic feel to 'Limo Wreck', 'Day I Tried To Live' & '4th Of July'. Had it not been written years earlier, 'Limo Wreck' could easily have been about 9/11.

The beauty of the lyrics to 'Like Suicide' and the left field Eastern sound of 'Half' just add to the complexity of the album.

When you consider that Soundgarden are the only band from the 90s Alt/Rock scene that could get away with a track like 'Head Down' and the fact that 'She Likes Surprises' could easily have been found on a Beatles album, is just the final tick in the box for me.

This, of course, along side Chris Cornell's unparalleled vocals, Kim Thayil's unique guitar sound, and also that drummer Matt Cameron & bassist Ben Shepherd add so much as songwriters and not just as musicians.

I agree that Superunknown is a great album. I'm glad you've found you're all-time favorite album :D

I still am looking for mine. It honestly changes every day/week/month/year. I like/love a lot of albums out there. I thought I had my favorite 12ish years ago when I discovered Dark Side of the Moon. Which lead to Animals, which quickly became my favorite Pink Floyd album. Over the years I have grown in and out of many phases. I was on a huge Beatles kick for a while there, which lead to another huge John Lennon phase. Somehow I got around around to Green Day a little bit too.

The thing is, the only band I've consistently listened to for as long as I was able to form my own coherent conclusions, is Pearl Jam. Strangely, I cannot for the life of me pick my "all-time" favorite. I think I just like the bands entire body of work so much that it's all gold to me.

And as I read this, without any sleep yet, I for some reason am taken by the fact that I don't have an all-time favorite album. Maybe I need sleep.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Superunknown is a great album, without any doubt. It's not my all time favorite but it's obviously in my top 10...
    Nothing's bad on that album. And i like the production. and the cover. and everything about it.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Awesome, awesome record. Just yesterday, I was listening to Let Me Drown while working out. I'd really forgotten how much ass that song kicks. I actually like Badmotorfinger just a little bit better though. Not really sure why, but it sticks with me a little more than Superunknown. If I was trying to introduce someone to Soungarden, though, I'd definitely give them Superunknown.
  • Great album. Its the top album for me battling with BMF and VS. PJ, SG, and RH are just the best. I've gone through many favorites. A complete 2+ months of just Beatles, LZ is my first true love, Neil is the greatest and right there with those 1st three.

SUK: Its so dense with .... fucking SOUNDgarden... a brilliant output by a band that is the best ever, IMO. Some of Cornell's songs were instant classic rock, but classic rock of the best quality. And the rest of the album is unbelieveable Fresh tendrills, Mailman, suk, 4th, everything on it fuckin-a it. Crazy mood, by the guys that were best at that expression.... Hard to think of an album that good.

And then its ends with:

Heard it from another room
    Eyes were waking up just to fall asleep
    Love's like suicide
    Dazed out in a garden bed
    With a broken neck lays my broken gift
    Just like suicide

And my last ditch
    Was my last brick
    Lent to finish her
    Finish her

Bit down on the bullet now
    I had a taste so sour
    I had to think of something sweet
    Love's like suicide
    Safe outside my gilded cage
    With an ounce of pain
    I wield a ton of rage
    Just like suicide

With eyes of blood
    And bitter blue
    How I feel for you
    I feel for you

She lived like a murder
    How she'd fly so sweetly
    She lived like a murder
    But she died
    Just like suicide
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    GREAT record

my all time fav

tough

led zep 2 or Europe 72 (GD)
  • pirlo21 wrote:

Could'nt have said it better myself! A truly amazing album from an amazing band.
  • Superunknown is awesome! It's not my fav but it's definitely a good one to have as a favourite. Everything about it is perfect.
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    can't argue with your decision.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    uninnocent wrote:
    can't argue with your decision.

seconded. makes cornell's current solo work all the more puzzling :O
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Heard it from another room
    Eyes were waking up just to fall asleep
    Love's like suicide
    Dazed out in a garden bed
    With a broken neck lays my broken gift
    Just like suicide

And my last ditch
    Was my last brick
    Lent to finish her
    Finish her

Bit down on the bullet now
    I had a taste so sour
    I had to think of something sweet
    Love's like suicide
    Safe outside my gilded cage
    With an ounce of pain
    I wield a ton of rage
    Just like suicide

With eyes of blood
    And bitter blue
    How I feel for you
    I feel for you

She lived like a murder
    How she'd fly so sweetly
    She lived like a murder
    But she died
    Just like suicide

I think a lot of the Cornell bashers would do well to actually listen to that song. It is, in my opinion, absolute perfection, musically, lyrically and the vocals are just immense.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    It's a grand record, but it's not even my favourite Soundgarden album. Surely that accolade must go to the wonderous, most awesome Badmotorfinger !!
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jamie uk wrote:
    It's a grand record, but it's not even my favourite Soundgarden album. Surely that accolade must go to the wonderous, most awesome Badmotorfinger !!

i second that emotion mr. jones. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pirlo21 wrote:

Its actually my fav too.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    jamie uk wrote:
    I'd agree that Badmotorfinger is their best album. Must be honest though, I'm not particularly keen on Soundgarden any more, kinda out grown them.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    nah man

badmotorfinger ftw!
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    I can second the sentiment. I think superunkown is among my top 10 of all time actually. Or at least close. It's one of those albums that I can still pick up from time to time, give it a couple of spins, and realize yet again what a great record that is. One of those stayer albums that never get old. Or in other words: classic. :)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    pirlo21 wrote:

Nice to see that Blind Melon is up there on your list; however, Badmotorfinger is much better than Superunknown, but neither are the all time best.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me