Lenny Kravitz new album. Thoughts?

pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Been listening to 'It Is Time For A Love Revolution' for a couple of days now and I'm loving it. It's vintage Lenny. Back to the sound of 'Are You Gonna Go...' and'Let Love Rule'.

I've always been a massive fan of his, but would be the first to admit, he can be a bit hit & miss. But in my opinion this hits the nail on the head, and then some.

Great stuff but the great man.

Anyone else pick it up yet?
Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I doubt it's truly back to that sound, but if so, I'm all over it. He stopped being relevant when Circus was released. But "Are You Gonna Go My Way" is an essential rock album.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    gabers wrote:
    I doubt it's truly back to that sound, but if so, I'm all over it. He stopped being relevant when Circus was released. But "Are You Gonna Go My Way" is an essential rock album.

Maybe I'm getting a bit carried away!! But, I just can't stop listening to it.
    It may not rate as highly as those two albums I mentioned, but it's certainly back to that style & swagger that made Lenny the icon that he is/was(delete as applicable!).
    Cymru Am Byth

1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Another Lenny Kravitz album! Wow ! Exactly what the world needed ! Boring !
  • i had a listen to it last night and wasnt that impressed at all. some good tracks but his sound hasnt developed that much over the years ,sadly.
    How to be happy and true is the quest we're taking on together.

Take it on, on, on, on, on.
  • All I care about is whether he and Craig Ross kick some ass on the guitars. It seems like that vibe has been missing from his more recent work. Do we get some guitar throwdowns on this album?
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    All of his guitar work sounds the same on every album.
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    All I care about is whether he and Craig Ross kick some ass on the guitars. It seems like that vibe has been missing from his more recent work. Do we get some guitar throwdowns on this album?

theres a few real catchy riffs alrite but theres an equal amount of the usaual soppy whiney stuff, lol.
    How to be happy and true is the quest we're taking on together.

• cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    gabers wrote:
    He stopped being relevant when Circus was released.

No. Talk about one of the most underrated rock albums from the 90s, Circus is it. It's far and away my favorite album of his. Beats the complete shit out of everything he released after that, and I still dig 5.
    cc10106 wrote:
    No. Talk about one of the most underrated rock albums from the 90s, Circus is it. It's far and away my favorite album of his. Beats the complete shit out of everything he released after that, and I still dig 5.

Hey! Another 'Circus' fan! I thought I was the only one.

Like I said earlier, I think Lenny's material has been very hit & miss. When he's good he's very good. But when he's bad...
    Like the man said himself "one minute you're shit, the next you're shit hot"!
    Cymru Am Byth

• fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I got a few cd of 6 new tracks and six greatest hits of lenny last weekend. I will give it a spin soon
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    gabers wrote:

Didnt know he was ever relevant.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • We went to the show a few weeks ago at the Riv in Chicago...thought it was amazing and the songs he played of the new record sounded fantastic live.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Ever since he cut his hair and let sarah jessica parker grind her disgusting self on him in that GAP commercial he has been horrible. Sell out.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    it sounds good. i watched his performance on walmart.com. i was a little bummed that he doesn't play his own solos and rather the backup guitarist does! still a great guy though.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    If I like the music, I like the music. Being relevant isn't important to me.
    If I'm listening to an album, I either like it or I don't. The artist being relevant doesn't make the music any better or worse for me.
    Cymru Am Byth

• "5" is one hellofa cd :)

im gonna buy his new one tonite fur sure

he rawks
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    After a few listens i'd say the new cd is ok at first impression (maybe i should give it some more listens for further opinion)..at least its better than Baptism which sure was a crappy album.
  • love the cd/dvd package...havent got to the cd yet but the dvd is great

are you gonna go my way video is freakin awesome!
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    The CD is pretty good... track number 5 is my favorite. It's nowhere near as good as LLR, MS, or 5 though.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Trailer wrote:
    The CD is pretty good... track number 5 is my favorite. It's nowhere near as good as LLR, MS, or 5 though.

agreed! "If You Want It" is killer!

I'm also diggin on "Bring It On"

A solid release...waaay better than Baptism!

The tour is gonna be FAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ChazzChazz Posts: 1,135
    I've always been a big Lenny fan, but he can tend to be a bit hit and miss sometimes (not a big fan of Baptism)... I've only listened to new album once but it tended to wash over me a bit cos I was doing something else at the time. Think I'll listen to it in the car so I can give it more attention while driving to and from work.

Really looking forward to seeing him at Wembley Arena in June though, saw him live a couple of years ago and he was awesome :)
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • I've always been a big Lenny fan, but he can tend to be a bit hit and miss sometimes (not a big fan of Baptism)... I've only listened to new album once but it tended to wash over me a bit cos I was doing something else at the time. Think I'll listen to it in the car so I can give it more attention while driving to and from work.

Really looking forward to seeing him at Wembley Arena in June though, saw him live a couple of years ago and he was awesome :)

It's an awesome live show for sure!

Craig Ross is a hellofa geetar player

http://www.craigross.net

ripped from his website...
    " A chance meeting in an LA pool hall with Lenny Kravitz shaped the course of his career for the next 13 years. After touring Lenny's Mama Said album, Craig joined Lenny in the studio, co-writing and playing all the guitars on the track Are You Gonna Go My Way, an anthem that helped elevate Lenny's career to new heights. The collaboration continued with stand-out solos on tracks such as Believe and Is There Any love in Your Heart helping make Lenny a top rock act.. Craig has written and played on every subsequent Lenny album since as well as records by Sheryl Crow, Mick Jagger, B.B. King/ Eric Clapton, The Black Crowes, Nikka Costa and others."
  • Thu 03/13/08 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place
    Sat 03/15/08 Calgary, AB Pengrowth Saddledome
    Mon 03/17/08 Winnipeg, MB MTS Centre
    Thu 03/20/08 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre
    Sat 03/22/08 London, ON The John Labatt Centre
    Mon 03/24/08 Ottawa, ON Scotiabank Place
    Tue 03/25/08 Montreal, QC Bell Centre

The new cd is amazing!!!
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Bring It On is a f-i-n-e tune :)