Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt/Wilco etc etc

pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Hi guys, want some help!

Only got into Wilco last year, through Sky Blue Sky. Love the album & now want to investigate further, not just Wilco but the roots & offspring too!!

Wondering where I should go next?!
Which Wilco album is a must?
Should I bother checking out Uncle Tupelo? What about Son Volt?
etc etc etc...

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers.
Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    My favorite musical topic! I have to head off to work in a few minutes, but here's a quick breakdown:

Wilco:

The albums are all so different. I'd do backwards chronological order personally. That would make A Ghost is born you next step (and it just happens to be my favorite, by the way).

Otherwise, consider what style you're interested in. A Ghost is Born and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot are the so-called "experimental" albums. Summerteeth is essentially a pop rock album. Being There is largely country and 70's pop rock influenced, and Being There is basically a country rock album. I know not everyone is comfortable with country music (and AM isn't Jeff's high point lyrically either), so you probably don't want to start off with AM.

Uncle Tupelo:

If you like Wilco's folkier/country moments definitely check them out! I love them!

In my opinion Jay Farrar was the star of this band . . . and that's not a bad thing! Jeff Tweedy was still getting warmed up here, so don't expect to be blown away by too many of his Tupelo songs. Again, we're looking at more of a folk/country/"alt-country" thing with this band.

Anodyne is probably the best place to start. All the albums are classic though, and stand out from one another. I can't pick a favorite!

Son Volt / Jay Farrar:
    If you're not familiar with Jay yet I'd say you definitely need to go the Uncle Tupelo route first. His music is not melodic as Jeffs, and I know many Wilco fans simply can't stand his voice. That said, I love his music!

Trace is the classic Son Volt album, and if you were listening to rock radio during the mid-late nineties you probably heard "Drown" a few times. It's a nice continuation of the folk rock/alt-country thing Uncle Tupelo was doing - only better in my opinion. The following two albums are much in the same vein - and I actually consider Straightaways (the 2nd record) to be my favorite. The two albums "they" released this decade are good as well, but I'd say start at the beginning with Son Volt.

I like Jay's solo albums as well, but I'd hit those up last. They're a bit . . . different.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    They are all good.

Wilco-
    Man where to start. It really is hard to say there albums are a bit different. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is my favorite, but i like them all. The first two being there and AM are a little more alt country then the others. Summerteeth is pop rock brillance. Yankee hotel foxtrot is fucking awesome. A ghost is born has soem really good songs on it but i think suffers as an album on a whole.
    They are all worth exploring. I would note that Nels Cline the lead guitarist on Sky Blue Sky is not on any of the other recordings except their live album Kicking Television. Which might be a good next step for a fan. You can then get a taste of the other albums and that might help you decide what to get after that.

Son Volt/Jay Farrar-
    This stuff is more alt country more typical of Uncle Tupelo. That is not bad at all. I like Jay's stuff. ESPCIALLY the son volt album Trace. holy shit that is a great sunny day driving record or sitting around outside on the back porch chillin.

Uncle Tupelo-
    They have an anthology album out that you can get that is similar to a greatest hits. I have it and i like it a lot.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I dont listen to sonvolt, tupelo or jays songs

but as far as wilco goes,
    I would get these

summerteeth (really the first record where the band establishes its identity)
    yankee
    ghost
    being there
    AM

As far as live shows go, they are available all over the net and better than kicking television IMHO

the charlottesville show from 10/20/07 is great as is the 2/16/08 show in Chicago

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=510502
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    The whole Uncle Tupelo-Son Volt-Wilco family tree has moved up to my top tier of musical gods. I agree with the earlier poster, you may want to see how you like Uncle Tupelo before diving into Son Volt's stuff. I personally don't see how you couldn't love all of them, but I'm a bit biased.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Cheers guys. Much appreciated.

Just ordered Summerteeth. Let you know how I get on!!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Also you might want to check out the reviews on http://www.allmusic.com

they review every album and could give you better descriptions of the music on those albums.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    This thread died quickly!

I just wanted to add that Golden Smog is another great Wilco relative. Aside from Jeff Tweedy you get the fabulous Gary Louris (formerly of the Jayhawks) and some other talented guys.

. . . and Loose Fur is good as well.

I'll shut up now!
  • KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    Get_Right wrote:
    I dont listen to sonvolt, tupelo or jays songs

but as far as wilco goes,
    I would get these

summerteeth (really the first record where the band establishes its identity)
    yankee
    ghost
    being there
    AM

As far as live shows go, they are available all over the net and better than kicking television IMHO

the charlottesville show from 10/20/07 is great as is the 2/16/08 show in Chicago

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=510502

Wilco awesome would have to agree with the Summerteeth comment