Louder Than Love

pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I admit it's been gathering dust for the last couple of years, but I've been giving it some serious air time recently. I'd forgotten just how good it is.
Some might argue it's no 'Badmotorfinger' or 'Superunknown', but I think considering when it was released, that it's a very important album.

Very under-rated and very overlooked, in my opinion.

Hope I'm not alone!
Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Superunknown STINKS compared to Louder Than Love!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I got an idea of something we can do with a gun!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Danimal wrote:
    Superunknown STINKS compared to Louder Than Love!

Superunknown doesn't stink, even compared to the best albums ever made. It owns us all.
  • reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
    actually, I've recently considered Louder Than Love to be one of the best two albums ever recorded. Now I can't say that I have one stand alone favorite in the Cornell catolog - its all so good
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    It is pretty phenomenal. Gathering the best of Zeppelin, Sabbath & punk, and turning it into their own sound.
    I know there was Skin Yard, Green River, The Melvins etc. And that Nirvana caused the big 'explosion', but I always consider Soundgarden as the pace makers when it come to this type of music. The seeds were there on 'Ultramega Ok', but 'Louder Than Love' is just amazing.
    Cymru Am Byth

1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Louder Than Love is just pure brilliance from start to finish. I've had Gun stuck in my head for the last 3 days.
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    I like Ultra Mega OK better, but louder has some of the best songs from that era.
  • louder than love, i think i awake is a great song to, so are uncovered and power trip..

aah i miss em.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Well, honestly, I think that Louder Than Love is pretty average. It has some nice tunes in there, but a lot of it is just filler to me. Maybe that's because it's by far my least listened to SG album, I don't know. It really doesn't come close to their their last three albums. I think most people would agree with me, but I think it's pretty cool that some people like it so much. I just prefer the more articulated sounds of Superunknown and DotU to the power rock of Louder Than Love.

By the way, SG is my second favorite band of all time, so...
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    You inspired me to dig it back out, let you know in a day or 2 how it goes, but I have to say Badmotorfinger has always been way out in front for me.JUK
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • 1) Ugly Truth: fucking awesome tune, in my SG top ten. "i painted my eyes, ugly isnt what i want to see" 10/10
    2)Hands All Over: another great song, sweet guitar work. and the lyrics are great when you realize he is talking about mother nature. 9/10
    3)Gun: fuckin sludgy, heavy guitar that will pummel you into submission. 9/10
    4)Power Trip: cool song, just not crazy bout the intro where cornell sounds like a 80s metal singer. 7.5/10
    5)Get On The Snake: cool tune, although i like it better live than the studio. Cornell would intro it live by saying " this is a song from a movie that nobody saw" 7/10
    6)Full On Kevins Mom: great song title and great song. love the fast tempo and cornells screaching vocals. 8.5/10
    7)Loud Love:classic SG sound, awesome riff, awesome vocals, awesome breakdown. 9.5/10
    8)I Awake: very eerie, depressing song. "woke up depressed, i left for work. you have a good day, good day its not your fault". 8/10
    9)No Wrong No Right: another eerie tune, i like it a lot. 9/10
    10)Uncovered: very different sound for early SG, i think the guitar are tuned differently. more like classic 70s sound. 8.5/10
    11)Big Dumb Sex: anthem rock at is best, too bad most metal heads didnt get the irony. 9/10
    12)Full On(reprise): good closer, again different sound for early SG, lets you down softly. 8.5/10
  • FreshTendrilsFreshTendrils Posts: 267
    Louder than Love is my third favorite Soundgarden album. On a quick side note, I'm not sure why people are so in love with Down on the Upside, because I personally prefer Louder than Love and Ultramega OK (not to mention the double EP album) by a wide margin to their last record. Anyway, back on track. I think its their most entertaining album personally. Its great just for rocking out, but at the same time it mocks the entire 80s hair rock shit so its a bit more intelligent than it lets on to be. Kim's guitar work on the album is nothing short of brilliant, especially on the intro to Loud Love - that intro gets me every time.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
    Louder than Love is my third favorite Soundgarden album. On a quick side note, I'm not sure why people are so in love with Down on the Upside, because I personally prefer Louder than Love and Ultramega OK (not to mention the double EP album) by a wide margin to their last record.

I have 16 reasons why DotU is a great record.

[EDIT] And Fresh Tendrils is one of SG's best tunes... well done sir!
    DOSW wrote:
    I have 16 reasons why DotU is a great record.

[EDIT] And Fresh Tendrils is one of SG's best tunes... well done sir!

I think there's some definite filler throughout DotU and while I don't mind the reworking of some of Hater's tunes, it doesn't mean I like it. I guess I prefer the pre-Superunknown Thayil because thats what I usually go back to. That and Cornell's banshee shrieking.
    I think there's some definite filler throughout DotU and while I don't mind the reworking of some of Hater's tunes, it doesn't mean I like it. I guess I prefer the pre-Superunknown Thayil because thats what I usually go back to. That and Cornell's banshee shrieking.

The only songs that I don't really like are Rhinosaur, Never Named, and An Unkind. But with 16 tracks, not every song is going to be great.
    DOSW wrote:
    The only songs that I don't really like are Rhinosaur, Never Named, and An Unkind. But with 16 tracks, not every song is going to be great.

Exactly. I equate that with the White Album because they give off the same vibe. A big song selection, some gems in there, a wide variety of styles, but compared to their other albums, it just doesn't match up.
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    intodeep wrote:
    I got an idea of something we can do with a gun!
    Sink, load and fire till the empire reaps what they've sown!
    That song is sooooo good. One of may favourite Sg songs.
    watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-nzmd86qO8
    I have to admit I don't have the Screaming Life/Fopp EPs.
    Is it worth investing? How do they measure up to the albums?
    Cymru Am Byth

• pirlo21 wrote:
    Very different. They were finding their sound at the time so a lot of it is kinda cheesy straightforward rock with the odd gem (Hunted Down and Entering for example). It's pretty cheap if you can find it on CD so it's definately worth it for a Soundgarden fan.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Those the only things missing from my Soundgarden collection. I'm sure I can find them online, but I don't like ordering stuff online. I wish my local music store that has just about everything would carry those because I would rather give my money to local businesses.
    I may to invest then. I'd like to complete the collection.

Any ideas which direction Cornell's headed with this new solo album? I've been worried he's gonna leave the heavy rock he does so well behind, and move to a softer, accoustic sound.
    From the reports I've seen on his tour so far, it's sounds as though some of the harder classics are still being played.
    Maybe, there'll be one or two 'new' classics on the album!
    Cymru Am Byth

pirlo21 wrote:
    I may to invest then. I'd like to complete the collection.

Any ideas which direction Cornell's headed with this new solo album? I've been worried he's gonna leave the heavy rock he does so well behind, and move to a softer, accoustic sound.
    From the reports I've seen on his tour so far, it's sounds as though some of the harder classics are still being played.
    Maybe, there'll be one or two 'new' classics on the album!

The new album has a few harder-edged numbers, but it seems to me like it's going to be a very pop-oriented album. :(
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    louder than love is number two behind badmotorfinger to me. Awesome album to get baked to.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
    DOSW wrote:
    The new album has a few harder-edged numbers, but it seems to me like it's going to be a very pop-oriented album. :(

That's what I've gathered from the songs I've heard so far as well. Not that that would be a horrible thing, because he can write some terrific pop songs (ie: Dandelion). It seems like the album will be covering various styles, which worries me that it won't feel like a complete album but just a compilation of songs. Plus, only one of the songs have really struck me as being really good. I'm definitely not really excited for the new album and a lot less excited than I thought I would be at this point.
    pirlo21 wrote:

Definitely worth it. The EPs are along the same lines of Ultramega OK and Louder than Love. Its definitely an item for the Soundgarden that wants their hands on everything. I wouldn't really recommend it to the fan who only has two or three albums. Anyway, I personally prefer the first half of the album, just because the songs as a whole are stronger than the second half, but that doesn't mean the second half is less enjoyable. Swallow My Pride is great, I really love Cornell's vocal deliver on that one and the beat on Fopp is sexy-funk.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    jamie uk wrote:
    You inspired me to dig it back out, let you know in a day or 2 how it goes, but I have to say Badmotorfinger has always been way out in front for me.JUK
    I have to say it's not gone well, I also dug out TOTD at the same time and haven't gotten past Hands all Over without slipping Temple otd back in. I'm afraid I can't find anything overly special on Louder'-but if you love it that's just great. Badmotorfinger still rules for me.Love to all,JUK
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....