Footsteps Vs Times of Trouble

pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
edited April 2007 in Other Music
As we know, these are Eddie Vedder & Chris Cornell's verions of the same Stone Gossard song.
Both finished articles are very different, but great in their own way.
Just wondering which version people out there prefer.
Think I'm swaying towards Eddie's 'Footseps'. If only for the fact that it's part of the Mamasan Trilogy, with 'Alive' & 'Once'.

Any thoughts?
Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    I like both, but given the choice I'd prefer Footsteps.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Footsteps wins, hands down. Its just sooo much better - lyrics are better, the tone is better. Times of Trouble sounds too 80's for me.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Times of Trouble. No doubt is the better of the two. And I don't even like Cornell.
    Cock Fight.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Footsteps by a longshot. Times of Trouble is a good song, but Footsteps is one of my all-time favorites.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Footsteps is amazing and Vedder's voice is chilling, BUT...

The chorus in Times of Trouble is just unbelievable. It's one of the high points of TOTD and that's really saying something. Talk about chilling..

If somebody left you,
    out on a ledge,
    if somebody pushed you,
    over the edge,
    if somebody loveeeed you,
    and left you for dead,
    you gotta hold on to your time and break through these times of trouble.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Both incredible songs, it's difficult to compare them because whilst they share the same melody they are so different. I think it would be interesting to hear a stripped down version of Times of Trouble, but as they are it would be like comparing apples and oranges. Ok maybe I'm just being indecisive!
  • Both incredible songs, it's difficult to compare them because whilst they share the same melody they are so different. I think it would be interesting to hear a stripped down version of Times of Trouble, but as they are it would be like comparing apples and oranges. Ok maybe I'm just being indecisive!
    We should mass email Chris to play TOT with his new band.

"Make our day"
    We should mass email Chris to play TOT with his new band.

Hell yeah! I wouldn't be surprised if he plays it anyway - hell if he's been rehearsing Jesus Christ Pose, TOT can't be any more vocally demanding.
  • Hell yeah! I wouldn't be surprised if he plays it anyway - hell if he's been rehearsing Jesus Christ Pose, TOT can't be any more vocally demanding.
    holy shit he's been rehearsing JCP?!?!

His voice is 5 star right now (judging by the Kroq performance) so maybe he can handle it..

"Make our day"
    holy shit he's been rehearsing JCP?!?!

His voice is 5 star right now (judging by the Kroq performance) so maybe he can handle it..

Yeah from Ross Halfin's (photographer) blog:

"Go way out to the valley to see Chris Cornell (who signs some big prints I've blown up for The Sunset Marquis Hotel), he's rehearsing for his tour. I stay and shoot a bit of it. He does Spoonman, Rusty Cage, Black Hole Sun, Burden In My Hand, Jesus Christ Pose and Seasons, plus a few Audioslave songs. I suggest Slaves And Bulldozers and Mind Riot which he says is a good idea. I also tell him to do Blind Dogs - he has no idea how it even goes.

Well, he could open with Like Suicide. Chris reminds me of the time I shot Soundgarden in Melbourne and Ben Shepard said 'Hold on,' turned around, threw up, wiped the vomit on his sleeve and carried on... I'd forgotten about that. The band were tight and heavy. I came back to Hollywood and went for a run listening to Soundgarden. I'd forgotten how much I like them."
  • Yeah from Ross Halfin's (photographer) blog:

"Go way out to the valley to see Chris Cornell (who signs some big prints I've blown up for The Sunset Marquis Hotel), he's rehearsing for his tour. I stay and shoot a bit of it. He does Spoonman, Rusty Cage, Black Hole Sun, Burden In My Hand, Jesus Christ Pose and Seasons, plus a few Audioslave songs. I suggest Slaves And Bulldozers and Mind Riot which he says is a good idea. I also tell him to do Blind Dogs - he has no idea how it even goes.

Well, he could open with Like Suicide. Chris reminds me of the time I shot Soundgarden in Melbourne and Ben Shepard said 'Hold on,' turned around, threw up, wiped the vomit on his sleeve and carried on... I'd forgotten about that. The band were tight and heavy. I came back to Hollywood and went for a run listening to Soundgarden. I'd forgotten how much I like them."
    hahahhah good lord.

"Make our day"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Times of trouble, though they are both amazing. as someone already said, the "if somebody left you out on a ledge..." part is incredible.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • footsteps is way better...there so much emotion in this song, its also great live
    "oh please........
    let it ran today
    this city is so filthy
    like my mind in ways....."
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    Footsteps
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    times of trouble.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    definitely footsteps for me.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    footsteps is 1 of my favs. period

although pushin forward back is a bitching tune
  • ArtMarsArtMars Posts: 109
    Footsteps