David Navarro

pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
edited March 2007 in Other Music
One of the most important, original & influential guitarist of his generation or overrated, strutting pretty boy ??????????????

After his groundbreaking work as part of Jane's Addiction, decent stint with RHCP and the good, if not spectacular Panic Channel album I tend to lean towards the first option.
Only my opinion though.

Any thoughts?
Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    In my books, he lost all credibility when he did those reality type shows.....
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    You missed out the solo record and his work with Glen Hughes
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    Jane's addciton were awesome. I didn't really get into his solo album but at least he felt passionate enough about it to write and sing all the songs. The panic channel kinda disappointed me a little.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    His work on Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual by Jane's make him an all time great in my book, no matter what. I really liked his work with the Chili Peppers. His solo album had moments of greatness, but overall was a bit of a disappointment for me. I haven't bought Panic Channel. The samples I listened to didn't impress me much.

Dave is one of the all time great guitar players, but I think he needs to work with great songwriters to really shine. Eric Avery was responsible for a lot of the best Jane's stuff, and I heard Flea did a lot of the writing on One Hot Minute.

I don't care at all about all the lame media stuff he does. People might not like his current image, but it's completely separate from the music as far as I'm concerned. All I care about is the music.
  • SlashSlash Posts: 12
    He was also In Guns N' Roses for awhile and recored Oh My God with them.
    I Love Beer
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Agreed. His media image over the last few years seems to have overtaken his imput into music.
    His career has certainly had highs & lows. But for me the highs outweigh the lows.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • His record Trust No One was not bad. I really liked the second single. Can't remember the name of it though
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Imo, Dave's best work as a guitarist was while he was in Deconstruction.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Good call on Deconstruction. I can't believe I forgot to mention it. That's a great record. Dave and Eric should just regroup Decon.