Iron Maiden

edited February 2008 in Other Music
I think they are great band and I'm going to see them live in Split (Croatia) at the city stadium. I want to hear your opinion about them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Great band, one of my favorites. Hallowed Be Thy Name is such an amazing song. Enjoy the show.
    I know we've been to Ohio and I know we've never been to Toledo, and i know i've never smiled while wearing a speedo.
    ~E.V.
  • they're great
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Up The Irons!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No one is ever gonna find ya, if you don`t get yourself lost...........
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Maiden was a few years before my time. Out of curiosity, I picked up "Dance of Death" from the library the other week. Overall, it was a good album, though it took me a while to get used to Dickinson's unusual voice. What other albums of theirs do y'all recommend? I'll keep them in mind when I return my books to the library later this week.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    they kick ass live. i dont really love metal, but i saw them a few years back with motorhead and dio. maiden put on a great show and the crowd reception is crazy. you'll have a great time.
  • Odin wrote:
    Maiden was a few years before my time. Out of curiosity, I picked up "Dance of Death" from the library the other week. Overall, it was a good album, though it took me a while to get used to Dickinson's unusual voice. What other albums of theirs do y'all recommend? I'll keep them in mind when I return my books to the library later this week.
    Wow, DOD is an unusual starter I think. The more albums you here you'll realise Bruce's voice suits to perfection (though he wasn't on the first two). I'd absolutely recommend the masterpiece that is A Matter Of Life And Death, that's the latest one. And other personal favs would be Piece Of Mind and Somewhere In Time. But they're all good. Especially if you can get them from your library! ;)
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Wow, DOD is an unusual starter I think. The more albums you here you'll realise Bruce's voice suits to perfection (though he wasn't on the first two). I'd absolutely recommend the masterpiece that is A Matter Of Life And Death, that's the latest one. And other personal favs would be Piece Of Mind and Somewhere In Time. But they're all good. Especially if you can get them from your library! ;)

There was no rhyme or reason as to why I selected Dance of Death. The CD was right in front of me, I saw the words "Iron Maiden" on the cover, and I decided to pick it up, take it home and give it a listen. :D

Thanks for the suggestions...
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    iron maiden is one of the few bands that i would pay to see.....and i have never seen them.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • I've been listening to Iron Maiden since 1982, and saw them live for the first time in 1984. Great band, one of my all-time favourites.

I saw them in Mexico City on the weekend, and just posted a review:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=274604

WWPJ: Are you the guy who commented on my Iron Maiden video on YouTube?

I agree that Dance Of Death isn't the right album to start with if you want to get into Iron Maiden. Neither is A Matter Of Life Or Death, though I do like that album.

Start with Powerslave and The Number Of The Beast. To most Iron Maiden fans, those two albums are to Iron Maiden what Yield and No Code are to Pearl Jam fans. Somewhere In Time, Piece Of Mind and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son are also highly regarded.

Their first two albums (s/t and Killers) are both big fan favourites too, with a lot of songs that have proven to be classics over the years, but they had a different singer for them. I love the songs, but the original singer (Paul Di'Anno) has a COMPLETELY different voice than Bruce Dickinson. I much prefer Bruce.

Whatever you do, stay away from the two albums they did in the mid 90s with their third singer. Utter crap. Bruce Dickinson returned in 2000 for Brave New World, which was an EXCELLENT comeback album, by far my favourite of the three they've done since his return.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    Jerkoff wrote:
    I've been listening to Iron Maiden since 1982, and saw them live for the first time in 1984. Great band, one of my all-time favourites.

I saw them in Mexico City on the weekend, and just posted a review:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=274604

WWPJ: Are you the guy who commented on my Iron Maiden video on YouTube?

I agree that Dance Of Death isn't the right album to start with if you want to get into Iron Maiden. Neither is A Matter Of Life Or Death, though I do like that album.

Start with Powerslave and The Number Of The Beast. To most Iron Maiden fans, those two albums are to Iron Maiden what Yield and No Code are to Pearl Jam fans. Somewhere In Time, Piece Of Mind and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son are also highly regarded.

Their first two albums (s/t and Killers) are both big fan favourites too, with a lot of songs that have proven to be classics over the years, but they had a different singer for them. I love the songs, but the original singer (Paul Di'Anno) has a COMPLETELY different voice than Bruce Dickinson. I much prefer Bruce.

Whatever you do, stay away from the two albums they did in the mid 90s with their third singer. Utter crap. Bruce Dickinson returned in 2000 for Brave New World, which was an EXCELLENT comeback album, by far my favourite of the three they've done since his return.
    jerkoff knows what he is talking about.....wise counsel, indeed.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Totally agree with the above message..though i'd like to add that Di'Anno's voice was cool in a way too..gave the band a more "garage" sound to describe it in some way..once Bruce Dickinson joined the band a monster was born, and it is called Iron Maiden.
    I loved all the records until Seventh Son of A Seventh..Fear Of The Dark has some good tracks but it didn't fulfill what i was expecting when it came out..after that i kinda lost track of the band after i found out Dickinson was out (let's put it this way..if there is no Bruce Dickinson vocals and history-epic based lyrics there is no Iron Maiden) and when i saw a video (can't even remember the name of the song) of a dude "trying" to fill in the band.
    Anyway i still listen to it every once in a while..its damn good, elaborate, intelligent music.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    I saw them once in 1988 at the Capital Center, MD in the middle of winter all by myself. I was scared out of my mind but through friendly fans around me made the show totally enjoyable.

Lots of onstage theatrics somewhat like RUSH like in this video The Trooper (Live In Ullevi). Oh I love the Canadian Mounty Uni Bruce wears in this video. :)

Too bad they won't be playing on the east coast here in South Florida. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Is it me or is it that IRON MAIDEN appears to be more popular outside of the USA than in it???

More of a world band to me.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Piece of Mind is my favorite. Also like their debut and and a lot from Killers. The first two records blended punk with prog in a very unique kind of way...

If you can score a copy - it was released in their box set several years back: give the Beast Over Hammersmith a listen! It's from their '82 world tour and it is fantastic! The box set is out of print and I am unsure if the CDs were ever sold separately...

Here's a fun site: http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/?url=discography&lang=eng&link=albums

Anyone pick up the DVD of Live After Death? Great documentary on the second disc!
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • I saw Iron Maiden play with Anthrax at Maple Leaf Gardens, way back when....

jerkoff has a more storied history with the band, but if you can get a hold of Live After Death (1985) you can get a bit of a history of this band.

My favourite song has to be The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (youtube it....it will take 3 parts) and you will get a great sense of what Iron Maiden stands for both sonically and in a live capacity!

I also love Revelations, and Hallowed be Thy Name, also Aces High (with a little help from Sir Winston!....

Enjoy the show!

Brian
    From 04/04/92,-13/09/05 (x5)

Brian
  • I liked them a lot better when Paul Di'Anno was the singer. They sounded a lot more punk back then. Bruce Dickinson is kind of a cheeseball and the whole metal and spandex phase was kind of laughable. "Running Free" is still a brilliant song, it's held up well over time.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    The first (2) albums also my favorites.
    Listen to them quite a lot still.
  • SiDSiD Posts: 76
    "Somewhere In Time" is by far my fave Maiden album. EPIC!!

Is there a better song to just BLAST than "Wasted Years?"
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    My 15 yr old has just decided that Iron Maiden are his favourite band...
    When I think of all the other shit out there he could be listening to, I just breathe a sigh of relief.... :D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09