I Have Just Listened to the new Foo Fighters album on MTV the Leak and...

Ved in the Head91Ved in the Head91 Posts: 70
edited September 2007 in Other Music
...it's simply fantastic.

This is as good as mainstream rock gets, people.

Anyone who hasn't listened to it all the way through or what not - just give it a chance. This is the album we've always knew Dave was capable of. His singing is better than ever, the lyrics are a little deeper, Taylor sounds great as always and *gasp* - there's some pretty great melodic guitar solos on this. They're finally taking advantage of the fact that Dave and Chris (the other guitarist) can really play.

For those of you who said "In Your Honor" Part II - hmnn, not so much - maybe if "In Your Honor" was edited down to it's 12 best songs I could see a comparison. I think this is the album we EXPECTED "In Your Honor" to be and wasn't. "The Pretender" isn't even a good example of where this album ends up taking you. They embrace all sorts of influences like Zeppelin and Wings and No Means No and it all still sounds like themselves at the same time. Blows the last 2 albums out of the water and might even be better than "There Is Nothing Left to Lose." It's just really beautiful music, man.
What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ...it's simply fantastic.

This is as good as mainstream rock gets, people.

Anyone who hasn't listened to it all the way through or what not - just give it a chance. This is the album we've always knew Dave was capable of. His singing is better than ever, the lyrics are a little deeper, Taylor sounds great as always and *gasp* - there's some pretty great melodic guitar solos on this. They're finally taking advantage of the fact that Dave and Chris (the other guitarist) can really play.

For those of you who said "In Your Honor" Part II - hmnn, not so much - maybe if "In Your Honor" was edited down to it's 12 best songs I could see a comparison. I think this is the album we EXPECTED "In Your Honor" to be and wasn't. "The Pretender" isn't even a good example of where this album ends up taking you. They embrace all sorts of influences like Zeppelin and Wings and No Means No and it all still sounds like themselves at the same time. Blows the last 2 albums out of the water and might even be better than "There Is Nothing Left to Lose." It's just really beautiful music, man.
    but i bet it doesn't blow "The Colour and the Shape" out the park, does it? i'ma go listen to it, if i don't like it.... god, i wish i can have you give me back an entire hour of my life back.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Chris (the other guitarist) can really play.
    Aaaahhhh Chris, my favourite Shiflett.
  • but i bet it doesn't blow "The Colour and the Shape" out the park, does it? i'ma go listen to it, if i don't like it.... god, i wish i can have you give me back an entire hour of my life back.

You know, I've never been a big fan of "The Colour and the Shape" as a whole - obviously "My Hero" and "Everlong" are still two of their absolute best songs and "Monkeywrench" is one their most popular - but the album as a whole never did much for me. I've always prefered the debut and "There is Nothing Left to Lose." The only reason I didn't say the new album was better than TCATS in my original post is because that album is sacred to so many people. But yeah, it's definitely more up my alley than TCATS.

If you don't end up liking it, I'm sorry - it's really not in the same vein as TCATS at all - I just prefer it. I love how Dave sounds like Paul McCartney on parts of it. His vocal range has really improved.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.