Official Hip Hop Appreciation Thread

FreshTendrilsFreshTendrils Posts: 267
edited October 2006 in Other Music
I haven't seen any threads dealing with any hip hop groups, so I figured I'd try to find all the hip hop fans on the board.

Please, raise your hands :)

Quick Top 5 Artists for me currently:
1) MF DOOM
2) Murs
3) OutKast
4) Ghostface Killah
5) Gnarls Barkley
I share a cigarette with negativity.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    ummm, no
  • i am not a huge hip hop/rap fan at all really.....but i do enjoy bone thugs n harmony alot....i'm not sure whether you would consider them hip hop or rap or what though the whole genre confuses me
  • I can't get over how people unilaterally dismiss hip-hop. I am not a big fan, but I know how to recognize talent when I see it. There is nobody in music today that has the brilliance and creativity of Outkast. Andre and Big Boi are the best duo in music in the last 50 years.

Another one I like is Eminem. Say what you will about him, but songs like "The Way I Am," Lose Yourself," "Square Dance," "Rain Man," and "Guilty Conscience" are pure songwriting brilliance.

Also, much respect for the work of Dr. Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube, and Ice T.

There is so much more to hip hop than illiterate teenagers cranking the bass up in their 99 Civics.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    k-os!
  • I would also add "Stan" to that list of Eminem songs.
  • I would also add "Stan" to that list of Eminem songs.

Yes.

By no means was that list complete.

Also, I was listening to OutKast's "The Whole World" the other day and thinking about what an amazing song it is. It perfectly captured the feelings of the world immediately following 9/11.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    rockpants wrote:
    k-os!

new album leaked the other day! Really curious to hear it
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Andre and Big Boi are the best duo in music in the last 50 years.

Have you never heard of Lennon & McCartney?
  • Not much into the new hip/hop..I used to like it back in the day with such bands as

Special Ed
    Public Enemy
    Geto Boys
    Too Short
    Gang Starr
    ETC....
    Master of Zen
  • Does old school count? MC Hammer, Coolio etc. I remeber when I was younger and hadn't yet discovered PJ I really digged Coolio.
  • well i give it this
    gnarls barkley is way better than the killers
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • I like some rap. Eminem's first two albums, Dre and Snoop's debut albums, the Beastie Boys, and anything Rage against the Machine has done.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I can't get over how people unilaterally dismiss hip-hop. . . . There is so much more to hip hop than illiterate teenagers cranking the bass up in their 99 Civics.

Exactly!
    I am a child of the 70s and 80s and I just can't say no to a good jam, hence I am a sucker for most of Pharrell's and Kanye's beats. In terms of lyricists, check out Tupac (or Jay-Z or Biggie). There are so many noteworthy artists out there (The Roots, Mos Def, Outkast, Talib Kweli, Naz... etc.) that I can't believe people can write off a whole genre of music without really checking it out.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Jurassic 5 are the greatest hip hop act of all time. Period.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    I like K-Os, Kanye West, Outkast, some Pharrell. And i've been listening to some Three 6 Mafia songs lately.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Anything on the Anticon label deserves a lot of respect. Anything on Mush, Lex, RhymeSayers and a billion other indie hip hop labels also deserve respect.

Underground hip hop is very exciting, folks. ;)

Latest spins: Sage Francis, Atmosphere, Blackalicious, Roots, Brother Ali, Subtle, cLOUDDEAD, Buck 65, Sole, Themselves.

Cheers.
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    BRING DA MOTHAFUCKIN RUCKUS!!!

WU

TANG

WU

TANG

Also great are Snoop (Doggystyle), Dre, A Tribe Called Quest, J5, and THE ALPHA MALE GORILLAS (shameless self-promotion).

Although it's rare, there is some good hip hop out there.
  • Have you never heard of Lennon & McCartney?

Um, since they were in a 4-some called The Beatles, I really don't consider them a duo. Especially since a 3rd man by the name of George Harrison was such a crucial part of the Beatles sound.

Andre

Big Boi

Best duo

Period!
    I love my female wife...
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    The Roots are my favorite rap group. Kanye is good, the Gnarls Barkley album is a lot of fun, Jay-Z is pretty good as well.
  • Common and Jay-Z are probably my favorites. I like a lot of Kanye too. Just recently gotten into the BlackStar album with Mos Def and Talib Kweli. Don't forget the classics like A Tribe Called Quest and Public Enemy.

Also, I think it was a guest rapper on the song, but "Show Me" by Mint Royale is a sweet ass song.
    Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
  • For anybody who is a fan of MF DOOM but didn't want to plunk down 20-50 bones for his OOP album "Operation Doomsday," the album is going to reissued next year.
  • Wu-Tang Clan needs some appreciation in this bitch
    hate was just a legend