Buckethead playing Led Zeppelin: Best Guitarist Alive Today

Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Seems like a decent guitarist, but there are loads of Zeppelin covers bands who play that stuff, I don't see how that makes him the best guitarist alive today....
  • Widdly widdly widdly (no tone) widdly widdly widdly. With a couple of riffs we all know.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    any person who wears a bucket on their head is a retard.. and Jimmy Page is still alive and he came up with those riffs so this thread is utterly dumb
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Buckethead is a great guitarist.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    dunkman wrote:
    any person who wears a bucket on their head is a retard.. and Jimmy Page is still alive and he came up with those riffs so this thread is utterly dumb

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I was just thinking the same thing!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• dunkman wrote:
    and Jimmy Page ... came up with those riffs

I wouldn't go that far. ;)
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    Buckethead's an amazing player. I like his whole stichk, with the bucket, the michael myers thing, not talking & the humor in the music. very cool indeed
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • I know Buckethead is a great guitarist, but even I can play this medley (and I'm not that great a guitarist).

He was totally off beat on the intro to Good Times Bad Times.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • BinFrog wrote:

Oh, and I've always loved that Tommy Emmanuel Beatles medley
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Drifting is brilliant. Heard his cover of Africa by Toto?

And to the original poster, Buckethead is a very technically able guitarist and his albums are actually creative as opposed to just fretwankery but best alive? He's not even the best shredder alive and whoever holds that title is probably about as worthwhile as a musician as Simon LeBon
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Buckethead is a great guitarist.
    He is. I'm not a big fan, but he's extremely underrated.
  • Buckethead playing a medley and Machine Gun from Hendrix
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pngkxpmhMAg
  • Probably the dumbest thread ever. Buckethead is a very good guitarist, but calling him the best guitarist alive = retarded. Using a video of him playing RIFFS that were written by someone else = even more retarded. I can play that medley. Would that make me the best guitarist? If you're going to promote Buckethead, use his own material. Something like this for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o would work much better.

Here's a much better guitarist who isn't quite as well known. Check out his others as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOs7iLKaTI&feature=related
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    Here's a much better guitarist who isn't quite as well known. Check out his others as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOs7iLKaTI&feature=related

Digging that video. Thanks for posting.
  • no the best guitarist today is John 5...he pisses all over buckethead
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
    no the best guitarist today is John 5...he pisses all over buckethead

He hardly blows Buckethead away. Buckethead is incredibly versatile.
  • Buckethead is a very good player. Check out some of his original compositions, very melodic and understated. I agree when he shreds, he sounds just like all the rest. The Zeppelin medley is not his best work, but I still think it's fun to listen to.
  • BinFrog wrote:
    He hardly blows Buckethead away. Buckethead is incredibly versatile.

Just not as versatile as John 5 imo
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • sunnydaysunnyday Posts: 33
    I wouldn't go that far. ;)

which one of those riffs buckethead played were not written by jimmy page? i know he stole couple of riffs, but i dont think it was any of these. but please enlighten me mr knowitall
    make tea not love
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Ckech this out. Les Claypool with Buckethead from Bonnaroo 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEDB4xJsXVo