Dave Grohl to Drum for Zeppelin on Tour?

Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
edited January 2008 in Other Music
More Rumors (strange happenings indeed)

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00013224.html

and why not Jason??????
the Minions
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    why the HELL would they do that. nothing is closer to the original then having bonhams son be the drummer. plus dave grohl is more of a guitarist, how good can he be playing zeppelin songs? nirvanas drumming was always jsut straightforward drumming, nothing hard at all.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • why the HELL would they do that. nothing is closer to the original then having bonhams son be the drummer. plus dave grohl is more of a guitarist, how good can he be playing zeppelin songs? nirvanas drumming was always jsut straightforward drumming, nothing hard at all.

totally agree
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    totally agree

Dave Grohl is actually a very acomplished drummer. I was not much of a believer in him because his drumming in nirvana was not overly impressive but i think it was done that way intentionally to fit the music.

His drum work on Songs for the Deaf won me over that album is freaking awesome drum wise.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    Dave Grohl is actually a very acomplished drummer. I was not much of a believer in him because his drumming in nirvana was not overly impressive but i think it was done that way intentionally to fit the music.

His drum work on Songs for the Deaf won me over that album is freaking awesome drum wise.

Grohl's involvement with Songs for the Deaf is what first turned me onto Queens of the Stone Age when I saw him in the No One Knows video. and yes, he is excellent on that album. but I don't know why there is or ever was talk of him with Zeppelin. I'm sure he can play all the songs....but what's the point of having him there?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Dave is a fantastic drummer and I definitely think that he would be able to pull it off, but yeah, I agree...keep the son.
  • intodeep wrote:

Yep.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    he's a good drummer and a MAJOR Zeppelin freak, so he could do it easily.
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    Aren't the Foos pretty much touring like crazy until the end of May? It would seem like Dave would need to sit down and actually play with them a bit before doing live shows. I think you can't just plop your ass down and start drumming with Led-frigging Zeppelin even if you are a good drummer.

I'm not doubting you, or the author of that article, but it seems like the timing is off to me.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    intodeep wrote:

DAve is a pretty ordinary guitarist, but basically learned to drum by playing Zep.
    I would say he could sit down and play stuff from the get-go and is THE obvious choice to replace Bonzo, and I've said so a bunch of times.

Plus he is a personality and would not just be a bum-on-seat hired hand. I can really see him bringing the wild-man creative drumming to a Zep tour and really addign something to the mix without losing the original feel.

Jason has first option as son of Bonzo, but I think Dave would be a better choice.
    That said, it's all rumour and conjecture at this stage.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    DAve is a pretty ordinary guitarist, but basically learned to drum by playing Zep.
    I would say he could sit down and play stuff from the get-go and is THE obvious choice to replace Bonzo, and I've said so a bunch of times.

Plus he is a personality and would not just be a bum-on-seat hired hand. I can really see him bringing the wild-man creative drumming to a Zep tour and really addign something to the mix without losing the original feel.

Jason has first option as son of Bonzo, but I think Dave would be a better choice.
    That said, it's all rumour and conjecture at this stage.
    Are you thinking that Led Zeppelin would have trouble selling tickets if they did a tour????
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    tybird wrote:
    Are you thinking that Led Zeppelin would have trouble selling tickets if they did a tour????

No, not at all, but they will be wanting to do more that be a travelling juke-box, for sure.
    Zep is one of the few bands I can listen to where the drums are prominent as a melodic instrument that are contributing to the overall song structure rather than just being underpinning or background. Bonham brought so much to the table and there would be few drummers who could step up to that level and be more than a hired hand. Mike Portnoy does spring to mind, of course, he is inspiring too.

Grohl has his own rep too, and would not be gaining fame from a Zep tour, as he has plenty already. I just think he would be the perfect choice.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Aren't the Foos pretty much touring like crazy until the end of May? It would seem like Dave would need to sit down and actually play with them a bit before doing live shows. I think you can't just plop your ass down and start drumming with Led-frigging Zeppelin even if you are a good drummer.

I'm not doubting you, or the author of that article, but it seems like the timing is off to me.
    This would be a dream gig for Grohl. He could easily cancel his conflicting Foo gigs to drum with Zeppelin. I have a feeling that his bandmates would understand... and many of the Foo fans.
    And he would fit in great doing Zeppelin songs. He idolizes Bonham and would make sure he does the band (and their fans) justice.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo wrote:
    This would be a dream gig for Grohl. He could easily cancel his conflicting Foo gigs to drum with Zeppelin. I have a feeling that his bandmates would understand... and many of the Foo fans.
    And he would fit in great doing Zeppelin songs. He idolizes Bonham and would make sure he does the band (and their fans) justice.

I hear ya. :) On all accounts.

I just think there would be a lot more involved in touring with them than just parking his ass down and playing. I would think he would need some serious practice time with the band before they could do actual concerts. I can't believe they would just do a quick run through and then pop out on stage for a show.

I wasn't even speculating about cancelling tour dates. But if you say he could "easily" cancel his conflicting dates, I don't know what to say about that except I think it wouldn't be "easy" to do that.

But what the hell do I know. I'm just talking out of my ass anyway. :D
    I hear ya. :) On all accounts.

I just think there would be a lot more involved in touring with them than just parking his ass down and playing. I would think he would need some serious practice time with the band before they could do actual concerts. I can't believe they would just do a quick run through and then pop out on stage for a show.

I wasn't even speculating about cancelling tour dates. But if you say he could "easily" cancel his conflicting dates, I don't know what to say about that except I think it wouldn't be "easy" to do that.

But what the hell do I know. I'm just talking out of my ass anyway. :D
    Foo guitarist Chris Shiflett's side gig is playing out here tomorrow. If I get the chance, I'm definately going to ask him.
    I have heard Dave on the radio say it and i found this little interview:
    http://ca.music.yahoo.com/read/news/48976295
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    No, not at all, but they will be wanting to do more that be a travelling juke-box, for sure.
    Zep is one of the few bands I can listen to where the drums are prominent as a melodic instrument that are contributing to the overall song structure rather than just being underpinning or background. Bonham brought so much to the table and there would be few drummers who could step up to that level and be more than a hired hand. Mike Portnoy does spring to mind, of course, he is inspiring too.

Grohl has his own rep too, and would not be gaining fame from a Zep tour, as he has plenty already. I just think he would be the perfect choice.
    I don't see how having Jason Bonham on the drums would make the band a "Traveling Juke-box". :confused:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    lest we forget the connection is already in place, with john paul jones performing on a few tracks on in your honor if i recall
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
    Cosmo wrote:
    Foo guitarist Chris Shiflett's side gig is playing out here tomorrow. If I get the chance, I'm definately going to ask him.
    I have heard Dave on the radio say it and i found this little interview:
    http://ca.music.yahoo.com/read/news/48976295

well, I'll be darned...how cool is that? :) he does say in that interview that he "doesn't expect that to happen" though. I'm not trying to piss in your wheaties or anything, ;) because I totally agree that would be pretty f-ing cool.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    my guess is the band doesn't think Jason has the stamina for a full tour whereas Grohl's energy is undending...

I say "thumbs up"!

he kicked the sh*t outta the drums when he sat in for Tom Petty...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    he's a good drummer and a MAJOR Zeppelin freak, so he could do it easily.

agreed.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    in a lot of interviews with the Zep guys in the lead-up to the O2 gig, they made a point of saying that it was Jason that made the whole thing work - his knowledge of his father's work and of the songs made the whole thing gel. For me, its not about getting the "best" drummer available, its about getting the right drummer. Dave Grohl is a better drummer than Jason Bonham, but he's not the right choice for the gig, for me
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I don't thinks there's anyway Led Zeppelin tours without Jason Bonham, I would guess they wouldn't be comfortable with someone else.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    edved82 wrote:
    in a lot of interviews with the Zep guys in the lead-up to the O2 gig, they made a point of saying that it was Jason that made the whole thing work - his knowledge of his father's work and of the songs made the whole thing gel. For me, its not about getting the "best" drummer available, its about getting the right drummer. Dave Grohl is a better drummer than Jason Bonham, but he's not the right choice for the gig, for me

Agreed. Having a Bohnam sitting in with the band makes it feel like Led Zeppelin. Jason Bohnam may not be the world's greatest drummer, but he's good, and Plant/Page/JPJ are comfortable with him. I don't see why they'd change it.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I have no idea what some of you are talking about. Grohl is an excellent drummer and he was an excellent drummer with Nirvana. He should have stuck with drumming because most of his work with the Foo Fighters has been quite boring.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Jason Bonham is a very good drummer.

Jason Bonham is a very good drummer.

Has anyone here actually ever seen jason bonham perform live?

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953

Has anyone here actually ever seen jason bonham perform live?

I have seen Jason Bonham play drums. He was playing with Foreigner last year when they opened for Def Lepard. He is bad ass. After Foreigner finished "jukebox hero" they went straight into "whole lotta love" and the crowd went apeshit (in a good way). :D He is a very good drummer even though foreignr is truly a band hanging by a thread. Mick jones is the only original member I believe.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • I prefer Grohl's drumming to Jason's...by a lot. Great, great drummer.
    "One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain. So hit me with music!"
  • I saw the Jason Bonham Band twice in 98-99.
    I saw him perform a 2 hour set of Zeppelin songs on more than one occasion.

Those that are saying that Grohl is a better drummer have probably heard nothing but a snippet of bonham, and hours of Grohl.
  • I saw the Jason Bonham Band twice in 98-99.
    I saw him perform a 2 hour set of Zeppelin songs on more than one occasion.

Those that are saying that Grohl is a better drummer have probably heard nothing but a snippet of bonham, and hours of Grohl.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Grohl drumming for Zep is dumb.

I'm not against it if Jason is ill or something that he has agreed with that conflicts with a tour but if they're just considering Grohl for whatever other reasons its not going to be the same.
    the Minions
    well, I'll be darned...how cool is that? :) he does say in that interview that he "doesn't expect that to happen" though. I'm not trying to piss in your wheaties or anything, ;) because I totally agree that would be pretty f-ing cool.
    Well... I asked Chris last Friday and he said, **paraphrase** "Those rumors have been kicking around for a long time.... Jason is their drummer."
    I have a feeling this question will pop up again next Monday when the Foo Fighters do a Morning 'Breakfast With The Foo Fighters' on L.A. Radio station KROQ.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • I can't wait to see how much tickets cost for this train wreck.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-