Black Keys - Attack & Release

otis mcflusterotis mcfluster Posts: 536
edited April 2008 in Other Music
The Black Keys - Attack & Release drops today. Post your reviews here.

I'm really pleased they brought Danger Mouse into the studio. I love every album they have made thus far but it was time for them to expand and modify their sound. Perhaps this would have been accomplished without DM, but I think he brought a unique perspective to their musical talents, flavor, & sound.

I need to marinate on the album a little more, but so far I am in love. All You Ever Wanted, Strange Times, and Remember When A&B, are the highlights/standouts right away for me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    the first two songs are awesome, I know that much.
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    I listened to a clip of Strange Times today on iTunes. I can already tell it is certified bad ass.

I'm very tempted to go pick this up today.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    what's their best album?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

what's their best album?

I like Rubber Factory the best
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    what's their best album?
    I like Thickfreakness the best but everything they've put out is very good. You can't really go wrong with Rubber Factory or anything else for that matter. Give them all a spin. I'm going to have to pick up Attack & Release today.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I like Rubber Factory the best
    I agree--probably just edges out Magic Potion.

Either of those 2 albums are a good place to start for the causual fan.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i think theres a thread on this..... anyways, yeah the album kicks ass....i wanna see em again.. this album has grown on me a ton
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    what's their best album?

Rubber Factory. All thier albums are good, but I find Rubber Factory has the most memorable songs.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    good. because i brought Rubber Factory off amazon last night on a whim. :)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• The Black Keys - Attack & Release drops today. Post your reviews here.

I'm really pleased they brought Danger Mouse into the studio. I love every album they have made thus far but it was time for them to expand and modify their sound. Perhaps this would have been accomplished without DM, but I think he brought a unique perspective to their musical talents, flavor, & sound.

I need to marinate on the album a little more, but so far I am in love. All You Ever Wanted, Strange Times, and Remember When A&B, are the highlights/standouts right away for me.

I don't care for it at all so far. I've given it at least 6 listens in the past 2 weeks and it has not grown on me yet, but I think I know why...

I'm a new Black Keys fan. Read about them on this board and decided to check them out about 2 months ago. So I burned a CD of about 20 songs from all of their CDs and I absolutely loved it. Therein lies the problem - being a new fan, I don't want them to "expand or modify their sound". This CD sounds too polished to me.

Just 2 cents from a "newbie" Keys fan.
  • I don't care for it at all so far. I've given it at least 6 listens in the past 2 weeks and it has not grown on me yet, but I think I know why...

I'm a new Black Keys fan. Read about them on this board and decided to check them out about 2 months ago. So I burned a CD of about 20 songs from all of their CDs and I absolutely loved it. Therein lies the problem - being a new fan, I don't want them to "expand or modify their sound". This CD sounds too polished to me.

Just 2 cents from a "newbie" Keys fan.
    I can understand why you feel that way--I'd tell you that it may grow on you, but after 6 listens--probably not.

I think one of the more interesting aspects of this album will be to see how it translates to a live show. Also would hearing these songs live make you like this album more, or less?

They are warming up the Wiltern tonight for Ed and sadly for me skipping right over Vegas: http://theblackkeys.com/category/tour/
  • Really feeling So He Won't Break. Great tune. I'm enjoying the album more and more with each listen.

Very bummed I won't be catching them live.
  • sickwilliesickwillie Posts: 178
    It's killing me that I can't listen to this. I don't want to download it, and there was a problem with Canadian distribution that resulted in the release date changing to the 8th. I should have it now; not fair! :)
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • I hate to admit but I had never heard of them until I read a thread here a while back...I've familiarized myself with them somewhat through the bootlegs available on their website and like what I've heard so far. The new songs sound great....I plan on picking the new album up Saturday
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • ReleasHReleasH Posts: 743
    I'm not sure how I feel about the new sound of this album yet. I love all their past material (in particular Rubber Factory) and they put on a fantastic live show. I need to dedicate some more listening time to Attack and Release before I form a final opinion.
  • This album has been in heavy rotation since lunch time tuesday. I'm going piss a lot of people off and come out and say this is possible there greatest album ever. OMG it's flat out amazing.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • So far I'm loving this album. As I tend to do with most albums I anticipate for a long time, I forgot that it came out Tuesday, but I got it today and am on my second listen right now. I tend to agree with the people who say that this album gives us an idea of where the Keys are going with their sound. I'm also impressed how even with the cleaned up sound, they still manage to maintain that rawness that makes them so great.
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    This album has been in heavy rotation since lunch time tuesday. I'm going piss a lot of people off and come out and say this is possible there greatest album ever. OMG it's flat out amazing.

I would be inclined to agree, but in fairness to those that think we're nuts - I have ALREADY listened to their new one more than all their others combined. I'm definitely going to go back and give all their old stuff a fair shot. I know I like it - I just don't know how much comparatively.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    There is more GOOD variety on this album than I ever thought I'd hear on a Black Keys album. After Magic Potion, which was pretty good, mostly ran together from start to finish, the changes on this album are a nice surprised. I really like what they did with the first and last tracks, I didn't think they could be so interesting on slow tracks
  • Before Attack & Release, I had only listened to Magic Potion a few times, but I was really digging their sound on this album. So Attack & Release wasn't really what I was expecting, but after several listens i'm starting to like it. My favorites right now are All You Ever Wanted, Remember When Sides A and B, and Oceans & Streams.
    I'm surprised the Black Keys fans on here haven't purchased the Ames poster they did. It's says there will be 70 sold total and I got one a couple months ago s/n #61. I think it's a pretty cool poster, and only $20

http://www.bigpopposters.com/posterMain.asp?Category=1

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/38873