Options

Billy Corgan--still a wanker after all these years

otis mcflusterotis mcfluster Posts: 536
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Billy proves his douchebagery once again in an interview with RS: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/19801847/corgans_fury_exclusive_qa/

Rolling Stone: Artists are finding their own ways to get paid outside of the major-label system, like the Eagles with their Wal-Mart deal, Madonna signing up with Live Nation.
Billy Corgan: I think it's really difficult for the young artist, who doesn't have at least some sense of a pathway. For example, if you were a kid today and you're looking at the bands who are successful right now, you think, if you don't sort of sell out and let somebody make you a star, go on American Idol, then you can't be successful. Alternative culture is really critical towards introducing new ideas. We need those young bands to push old band like us, to push new boundaries. We need our butts kicked regularly. That's where all the energy comes from, from the bottom. And when the message on Amy Winehouse is drama is better than music, and for Radiohead publicity is better than music -- no disrespect to them. But I think it's a bad message to young bands of how to make it happen. It's almost like the evil stepchild of the rap bling-bling thing, like, the only way to make it work is I've got to come up with a gimmick.

Radiohead's publicity is better than their music?--OK Billy.

But as stereogum.com points out: letting Wal Mart and Target pimp your shitty Zeitgeist album is apparently totally kosher in "alternative culture."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Actually, I agree with him.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I think he's right to an extent, too. I see penniless musicians, kids, thinking it's cool to put their first records up online for free as "information", because Radiohead did it. Then they'll wonder a couple of years down the line why they haven't got anywhere or made any money. It's because they followed a gimmick a few millionaires could get away with.
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I understand what Billy is saying, but to diss Radiohead after Zeitgeist and the new Pumpkins were a complete and utter failure, is pretty stupid.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I understand what Billy is saying, but to diss Radiohead after Zeitgeist and the new Pumpkins were a complete and utter failure, is pretty stupid.
    It is stupid, but Radiohead does suck
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    It is stupid, but Radiohead does suck

No, they don't.
  • Options
    hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    He's not dissing Radiohead, friends. He's saying all the emphasis fans and the media are putting on them is their marketing ideas rather than the music. And he's spot on. You're much more likely to read about Radiohead's download of the last album than the actual album itself.
    It's true.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    "Billy Corgan--still a wanker after all these years"

That's just a song title in the making right there.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    hailhail82 wrote:
    He's not dissing Radiohead, friends. He's saying all the emphasis fans and the media are putting on them is their marketing ideas rather than the music. And he's spot on. You're much more likely to read about Radiohead's download of the last album than the actual album itself.
    It's true.
    Exactly...it, the attention paid to the album, was more about whether people paid for the download or didn't..not the quality of the album..that's what Billy was railing against.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    dharma69 wrote:
    "Billy Corgan--still a wanker after all these years"

That's just a song title in the making right there.

Despite all his rage he is still just a wanker today!
  • Options
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    Despite all his rage he is still just a wanker today!
    Lyrics by Gremmie 95

Fucking.
    Brilliant.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    I agree with him.
    oh...btw...he never claimed that they weren't at fault...he just acknowledged that this is the way it is...it is all about publicity.

My opinion of Billy really changed, for the better, during an interview he had on Sirius a few years back (he was on air for a couple of hours). He talked about this then as well. He also talked about how a label loves you when you sell say 6 million albums. Then you follow up and sell 6 million more albums...then 10 million. Your next album sells say 5 or 6 million and they want nothing to do with you. He explained that if your sales drop it is a career killer, which is why it is so hard to evolve and try new things as a band.

I have always loved his music, but did not think much of him. My opinion was changed after that.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    and for Radiohead publicity is better than music -- no disrespect to them.
    this statement is absolutely laughable. Sounds like Zeitgeist's poor sales have left Billy boy a little bitter.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    hailhail82 wrote:
    It's true.

Exactly. I read so much about the album's marketing, and then it suddenly occured to me that I hadn't read a single review of the album.

I agree with most of what he said, the record industry is virtually clueless to what the consumer wants.
  • Options
    Exactly. I read so much about the album's marketing, and then it suddenly occured to me that I hadn't read a single review of the album.

I agree with most of what he said, the record industry is virtually clueless to what the consumer wants.
    Well I think you just weren't looking in the right places, if you didn't read one review.

Point is, Radiohead was bypassing the traditional record industry marketing. They weren't proliferating a "gimmick" to sell records. Billy's lame ass implication is that Radiohead was more concerned with publicity and gimmicks, rather than producing quality, innovative music. In my mind nothing could be further from the truth. It is hard to think of another band more progressive, that "push the boundries", and drives innovation more than Radiohead. I see nothing wrong with their efforts for make their music accessible.

Billy Corgan is the prototype of regurgitating the same tired shit from album to album, and attempting to pass it off and market it as a new fresh Smashing Pumkins sound.

To lump Radiohead in the same line of thinking as American Idol marketing and selling out is delusional at best.
  • Options
    The obvious seems to elude Corgan:

~Radiohead did it because they could afford to do it.

~Reznor/NIN did it because he could afford to do it.

~Radiohead's album is far superior than the publicity received for their method of distributing it.

~The methods used by the established, high quality, mega-successful band/artist shouldn't necesarily be the blueprint for the barely known/unheard of, struggling newbie.

~Smashing Pumpkins is a waste time and no longer qualifies as music...if it ever did, which it never did to me.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    How do people not understand what he's saying? He's not commenting on the music. He's not even commenting on Radiohead's intentions. He's commenting on what's important to the press and bloggers, which is what ends up being seen as a gimmick.
    The quality of the last Pumpkin's record doesn't have anything to do with what he's saying. I think with Adore and Machina he's proven he has been willing to take chances with his career.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    I understood what he said just fine; I've just no eye or ear for whining.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    dharma69 wrote:
    I understood what he said just fine.

Based on your point by point analysis up there, I don't think you (or several other people in this thread) do.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    Based on your point by point analysis up there, I don't think you (or several other people in this thread) do.
    That's fine.

Perhaps your opionion is based on the entirety of the RS article; mine is on the paragraph that initiated the thread because I don't have enough interest in Corgan/SP to read any further than that.

Still I understand what I read and have formed my opinion thusly. Winehouse and Radiohead/drama and gimmick. No talent there whatsoever, I guess.

Quit whining about the irrelevant and make your damned music. Times change; move on or get left behind.

But that's just me.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    dharma69 wrote:
    Winehouse and Radiohead/drama and gimmick. No talent there whatsoever, I guess.

Yeah, maybe you should read it again. You obviously do not understand.

I'm far from a Corgan apologist, but he makes valid assertions here that it seems only hailhailrandomnumber and a couple others are seemingly able to grasp, and doing so based on that one paragraph in the initial post. I haven't seen the rest of the article, either. I'll concede that his point isn't stated very clearly, but there is one, and it is not what you are claiming it to be.
  • Options
    I don't mean to be rude (honestly) but what part of "that's fine" and "but that's just me" don't you understand?

It's not your job to sway me or to change my opinion or to make me "see the light" about this or anything else and at the end of the day neither my nor your opinions on this matter are really that important other than to ourselves.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:

Quit whining about the irrelevant and make your damned music. Times change; move on or get left behind.

But that's just me.

If you had read the whole piece, he was talking about making music and his ideas for releasing it. He wasn't whining so much as slagging off the record industry.
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I agree with the point he is making.
    But he is still full of his old self importance.
    I liked Sharon Osbornes description of him as "a baldy twat in a dress".
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    hailhail82 wrote:
    It's true.
    I think he was doing both. He is being both critical of the media/fans and Radiohead themselves.

The only reason you were much more likely to read about the pay what you want release of In Rainbows is because it was groundbreaking and crossed multiple industry interests. Thus a larger variety of industry focused media outlets were likely to cover it; e.g. business, economics, entertainment, celebrity, music/recording industry, investment, technology, etc.

Corgan clearly critiques Radiohead for using a gimmick to market their music and lumps them among the bling-bling, sell out, and American Idol culture. Which again, is quite comical and ironic considering the ass-hat hasn’t made innovative music in 15 years.
  • Options
    If you had read the whole piece, he was talking about making music and his ideas for releasing it. He wasn't whining so much as slagging off the record industry.
    If you've read what I wrote, you'd see that I didn't read the whole piece and have based my opinion off of the thread starter and that's as far as it's going to go.

Slagging off/whining; same thing. Keep up, do something innovative yourself or get out of the way.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    If you've read what I wrote, you'd see that I didn't read the whole piece and have based my opinion off of the thread starter and that's as far as it's going to go.

Slagging off/whining; same thing. Keep up, do something innovative yourself or get out of the way.

And if you read my comment, you would realise that I acknowledged you hadn't read it all - hence the 'if' part!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    edited March 2018

Billy seems to be fashioning himself some type of intellectual philosopher of sorts these days:

Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan has posted the following on Instagram where he describes how a figurative ‘mob’ has attacked him over the years for his contrarian views:

“The most dangerous things in the world are a free mind, a free heart, and free will. Society, or culture (which aren’t always the same, mind you) defines itself through a collective consensus. But far too often throughout history the psychopathic leanings of the mob have been dead wrong. So it isn’t surprising that the mob uses itself to justify an ill-logic, turning inward to ask, ‘aren’t we right in our feeling/belief/suspicion?’ (cue loud, guttural cheer). And by extension that same mob hates, and I do mean hate, that which it cannot control.

For the existence of any contrarian symbol, be it man, woman, bird, or falling duck is that which the mob identifies as threat to its so-called hegemony. So they endeavor to stamp that virus out, only to target the next most dangerous elemental force, and the next, and the next. Continuing on forever until like a snake eating it’s own tale, there are simply no more witches to burn.

And so over a lifetime of wonderings and wanderings I have deduced a pattern that says if I’d only gone along to get along (to abuse the old aphorism) my life might have gone different, or better, or more brightly. I must admit that I even fall into the trap occasionally of this same query. But thankfully I have seen the light on this new moon, falling as it did on my birthday, that the gift that has saved and resurrected me again and again is the treasure of discernment.

And for years I did struggle with the question of how one can both oppose that which attempts to destroy you all while participating in it’s mad game. (Which stands as a larger parable for Life). So note that which opposes your dream and like myself you will detect the stench of the crowd, furious that anything so weak as a lone individual should refuse their math: 2 + 2 equals 5.

No, 2 + 2 equals 4. And my name is William, not Winston.

Last point: if your bias filter is with the mob you will read such thinking as I have laid out here as complaint.

It is not. My heart is free. I am smiling. And I love God.

The ramblings of a madman being not far from the laughter of a child. So God bless you in finding your own rainbows.”

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,794
    The fuck??
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    The fuck??
    to sum up:

"Fuck D'arcy and all the people that didn't buy tickets to this tour". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,794
    This dude is a friggin' tool. But not even a good one. More like a tool you bought once because you thought you'd need it some day. Only all these years later, you see it in the back of your toolbox and can't help but to think how worthless of a tool that is and recall how you wasted your money on it.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory