What? Blind Melon?

otis mcflusterotis mcfluster Posts: 536
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I've totally missed any Blind Melon discussion on this board--apparently they are still around: http://www.myspace.com/blindmelon

Question--Why keep calling yourselves Blind Melon? Seems a little desperate.

If Ed died would you want PJ to continue with a new lead singer under the name Pearl Jam?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    There has actually been a lot of discussion. Although it is impossible to replace Shannon, there are still the other 4 members and they have a right to use the same name. There concerts are mostly the older stuff anyways and the new singer has done a good job of maintaining Shannon's ways.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I've totally missed any Blind Melon discussion on this board--apparently they are still around: http://www.myspace.com/blindmelon

If Ed died would you want PJ to continue with a new lead singer under the name Pearl Jam?

Finally a new topic to discuss. Oh wait...

I am a HUGE Shannon Hoon fan and I have no problem with it whatsoever. Don't go dying of a drug over-dose if you don't want some other guy replacing you in a band. Actually, I'm fairly certain Shannon would support his friends' musical endeavors by any name.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Boston Globe had an article around December about their new singer.
    that's when I heard they had a new singer.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • I've totally missed any Blind Melon discussion on this board--apparently they are still around: http://www.myspace.com/blindmelon

Yeah, it's been "discussed" here many-a-times. While I respect the talent of the remaining 4 members, using the name "Blind Melon" is not only laughable, but disrespectful. They will never be "Blind Melon" without Shannon. They are coming to St. Louis sometime soon & the only way I would step foot into that place is to pelt Travis (the new singer) with tomatoes. :D (Yeah, yeah, he seems like a nice guy & all & thinks he's paying tribute, but sorry dude, you're not Shannon...mimic him all you want, it'll never happpen.)
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I was actually lucky enough to see them live back in December and to tell you the truth, they blew me away. I really didn't know what to expect and the new singer, along with the ban of course, sounded great! If they come around awy where close to you, I would check them out- you'll have a great time.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Seems to have worked for a little band called AC/DC
    NERDS!
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Is it just me or are people not quite so bothered by the whole 'Blind Melon without Shannon' thing as they are about 'Alice In Chains without Layne' ????!!!!

You could argue that Shannon was a bigger influence on his band than Layne was on his! But it seems people don't get so upset by the Blind Melon thing.

Personally I don't have a problem with either situation.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Look at guns n roses. One man standing and still under the banner Guns N roses.

They are shit in concert too.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Look at guns n roses. One man standing and still under the banner Guns N roses.

They are shit in concert too.

HA ha! Good call. That's like Cornell going round as Soundgarden!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    pirlo21 wrote:
    HA ha! Good call. That's like Cornell going round as Soundgarden!
    Isn't that basically what he is doing?
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • pirlo21 wrote:
    Is it just me or are people not quite so bothered by the whole 'Blind Melon without Shannon' thing as they are about 'Alice In Chains without Layne' ????!!!!

You could argue that Shannon was a bigger influence on his band than Layne was on his! But it seems people don't get so upset by the Blind Melon thing.

Personally I don't have a problem with either situation.

Me neither...Some people are taking the Alice thing really badly. I love Layne very very much but if instead of dying he had gone to do other things than singing, I dont think he would mind the other boys going around as AiC! Plus, they are AiC, even if Layne is not there anymore, they were part of it, they wrote music and lyrics...Don't know Blind Melon that well but hey...Lifes goes on!
    If it happend with PJ...Well...They've been around for a long time now so it would feel weird but why not....It'd be a different PJ era!
    "Come on people now, smile on your brother and everybody get together, try to love one another right now!!!!"
    "You my friend, I will defend and if we change, well I love you anyway"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I AM MINE"
  • Isn't that basically what he is doing?

Not really. His solo songs weren't done with Soundgarden. Temple of the Dog songs weren't done with Soundgarden. Audioslave songs weren't done with Soundgarden.

He is playing all the hit songs HE wrote.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Well, in my honest opinion I don't care if AIC or Blind Melon go on using the bands names, hell they already have. The die hard fans who love the band and want to go hear those songs being played again by the original members have done so. AIC damn near sold out every show on their 2006 tour. Layne and Shannon were both heroin addicts and unfortunately the monster killed them both. While it sucks that they are no longer here, the other band members of either band or any other band that has had replacement singers should not have to sit around. Both AIC, and Blind Melon have waited a respectable amount of time to keep going. Those other band members helped create the music, that's why it's called a band. Any way, I'm done preaching to the chior. I'm sure someone will blast me somehow, but hell if you like AIC and Blind Melon (and alot of people do cause the shows are selling very well) then go and have a good time. For the record I saw Foreigner last year with a whole new band except for Mick Jones (only original member) and the show was great and the crowd had a blast.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Amen
    "Come on people now, smile on your brother and everybody get together, try to love one another right now!!!!"
    "You my friend, I will defend and if we change, well I love you anyway"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I AM MINE"
  • Yeah, it's been "discussed" here many-a-times. While I respect the talent of the remaining 4 members, using the name "Blind Melon" is not only laughable, but disrespectful. They will never be "Blind Melon" without Shannon. They are coming to St. Louis sometime soon & the only way I would step foot into that place is to pelt Travis (the new singer) with tomatoes. :D (Yeah, yeah, he seems like a nice guy & all & thinks he's paying tribute, but sorry dude, you're not Shannon...mimic him all you want, it'll never happpen.)
    I agree with you in sth "they will never be blind melon without shannon...but it's a hard question ..If Ed died I wouldn't want a new singer. Never. Ed is 90% pearl jam ....
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    If Ed died I wouldn't want a new singer. Never. Ed is 90% pearl jam ....
    IMO, if this happened, you wouldn't see these group of guys in the same band again.
  • F'n_Circus wrote:
    IMO, if this happened, you wouldn't see these group of guys in the same band again.

I disagree. Stone and Jeff have been in the same band for a loooooonnnnggg time now, including after the tragic death of a lead singer. I think they would keep playing together. As for Mike and Matt, if you can play with Mike McCready and Matt Cameron and you choose not to, then you're just a moron.

I also disagree that Ed is 90% of Pearl Jam. While I love Ed's voice, if the band he was fronting wasn't the awesome rocking machine Pearl Jam is, I probably wouldn't care enough to listen. But then, vocals are always secondary to the music for me.

On topic, the Blind Melon guys waited a long time, they wanted to make music together again and continue to play the old songs. I have no problem with it. I'm just excited to hear new music from great musicians who I thought I would never hear again. The new tracks on their myspace sound great.

I've always thought the kind of idol worship some people exhibit with guys like Shannon and Layne Staley is misplaced. Music is pretty much my religion, but a single person, no matter how talented, who got hooked on drugs and threw it all away, shouldn't be held so sacred. As long as the band is in it for the right reasons, and I personally believe Blind Melon are, you should just appreciate the music and let the past go.
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I disagree. Stone and Jeff have been in the same band for a loooooonnnnggg time now, including after the tragic death of a lead singer. I think they would keep playing together. As for Mike and Matt, if you can play with Mike McCready and Matt Cameron and you choose not to, then you're just a moron.

I also disagree that Ed is 90% of Pearl Jam. While I love Ed's voice, if the band he was fronting wasn't the awesome rocking machine Pearl Jam is, I probably wouldn't care enough to listen. But then, vocals are always secondary to the music for me.
    I agree Ed is not 90%. And I agree that Stone and Jeff have been in the same band for a long time. I just think, IMO, that Mike and Matt would break off to do other things, and quite possibly Stone and Jeff to explore their creativity without one another. Who knows? But then again, its all moot cause Ed is still here and I would assume has no plans to leave this earth anytime soon.

Shannon and Layne were singers that fit the bands they were in very well and gave the music a meaning. Its sad to not see (and hear) them anymore. All we have is memories and recordings.

But the music is alive and still lives on, its just that the new singers bring a different perspective to the music of Blind Melon and Alice in Chains........................I know William does a FANTASTIC job with AiC. Travis, I have not heard yet.