Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill

AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Posts: 547
edited May 2008 in Other Music
What an underrated album!

That album is just pure fucking hate recorded to tape.
People slam it often because it is maybe even a little too dark even for a pantera record, but goddammit, it just rips.

Anyone else love this record?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    Best Pantera album...

FACT.

;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Drag the Waters is kick arse.
    But Cowboys, Vulgar and Far Beyond are all better imo, not by much though.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Tis a great album
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • No_ones_rivalNo_ones_rival Posts: 385
    Floods is fucking epic, Suicide Note pt 1 is haunting, and the rest is some of the best and most furious metal from that day and age
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Posts: 547
    Fucking A.

Awesome to see i'm not the only Pantera fan around here.

Personal album ratings (not including the early glam days):

Vulgar Display of Power
    Cowboys from Hell
    The Great Southern Trendkill
    Far Beyond Driven ("I'm Broken" is probably my favorite Pantera song though)
    Reinventing the Steel

All their albums are awesome. They always stayed true to themselves and never gave in on the whole nu-metal wave in the 90's.
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    All their albums are awesome. They always stayed true to themselves and never gave in on the whole nu-metal wave in the 90's.
    I agree. I'm not even a fan of metal...but sometimes there's a band that's so good and so talented, that you can't help but get into their music. Pantera is one of those bands for me. Unbelievable stuff.
    Fucking A.

Awesome to see i'm not the only Pantera fan around here.

Personal album ratings (not including the early glam days):

Vulgar Display of Power
    Cowboys from Hell
    The Great Southern Trendkill
    Far Beyond Driven ("I'm Broken" is probably my favorite Pantera song though)
    Reinventing the Steel

But of course! I've flown the flag for the southern boys a few times on here :D
    My first gig was Pantera in 2000 for the Reinventing the Steel tour and consequently the last tour they did over here.
    Are you a Down fan at all?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I've always enjoyed it, but I still love Far Beyond Driven.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Vulgar has always been my fav, but Southern is a great album. I know I'm getting older, I barely ever listen to them anymore.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    A big part of my musical formation. I saw Pantera several times in the 90's.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Posts: 547
    Are you a Down fan at all?

Oh YES!

I love Down...almost as much as Pantera.

Phil Anselmo is, without a doubt, one of my favorite metal vocalists.
    Oh YES!

I love Down...almost as much as Pantera.

Phil Anselmo is, without a doubt, one of my favorite metal vocalists.

I'm a hardcore Down fan *strokes NOLA Fleur de lys tattoo*

Anselmo is by far (imo) the best metal vocalist on the planet. I saw Down for the 5th time a couple of weeks ago and he's still on fine, fine form :D

• Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I'm a hardcore Down fan *strokes NOLA Fleur de lys tattoo*

Anselmo is by far (imo) the best metal vocalist on the planet. I saw Down for the 5th time a couple of weeks ago and he's still on fine, fine form :D
    Anselmo's voice is so growly and hate-filled, perfect for a metalist! <3
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
    Lukin66 wrote:
    Anselmo's voice is so growly and hate-filled, perfect for a metalist! <3

Indeed! My housemates are friends of the band and often comment on when they meet him, how growly his voice is when he's just talking, let alone singing!

I love that fact that Anselmo's voice can easily slip from full blown, hate fuelled metal scream to a soft and melodic singing voice in a heartbeat... there's no one can do it like Anselmo.

• JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I love that fact that Anselmo's voice can easily slip from full blown, hate fuelled metal scream to a soft and melodic singing voice in a heartbeat... there's no one can do it like Anselmo.

I dunno - I reckon Mr. Vedder could give him a run for his money. Its been a long time wish of mine to hear Pearl Jam cover Pantera... how odd is that?!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
    Jennytree wrote:
    I dunno - I reckon Mr. Vedder could give him a run for his money. Its been a long time wish of mine to hear Pearl Jam cover Pantera... how odd is that?!

Not at all!!! I'd love to here Ed cover Hollow tbh.

oh... how good would it be to see Down play a PJ song?! :D

• DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    It's a great album (Floods and Living Through Me are standouts IMO). But don't ever leave it in your CD player if you use that player as an alarm clock. It's not a gentle way to wake up.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
    DocChicago wrote:
    It's a great album (Floods and Living Through Me are standouts IMO). But don't ever leave it in your CD player if you use that player as an alarm clock. It's not a gentle way to wake up.

haha! I did that once.... just the once mind.. ;)

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Trendkill is my personal favorite Pantera record. i always compare Far Beyond Driven and Trendkill to Nevermind and In Utero... both are essential but different animals. you can't say one is better than the other because they're both amazing for different reasons. i love the brutality of songs like War Nerve, Suicide Note Part II, Sandblasted Skin, 13 Steps To Nowhere... and i love the haunting beauty of 10s, Suicide Note Part I and Floods. probably Anselmo's best lyrics ever.... i feel he's slipped alot since this record. Reinventing and Down II seemed a little out of focus for me... Down III is better but still in a haze.

wish we could hear the songs Anselmo sung on for Trent Reznor's Tapeworm project.. sadly i don't think we ever will.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Jennytree wrote:
    I dunno... I can't see Eddie pulling of Cemetery Gates... not with those full-throated wails :D The verses would be fine but the bridges would be a bit shadey.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I dunno... I can't see Eddie pulling of Cemetery Gates... not with those full-throated wails :D The verses would be fine but the bridges would be a bit shadey.
    It's tough enough for Phil these days ;)

Oh and for the ladies ;)

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m79/urbanhippie_2006/200philanselmophoto4.jpg
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    What an underrated album!

That album is just pure fucking hate recorded to tape.
    People slam it often because it is maybe even a little too dark even for a pantera record, but goddammit, it just rips.

Anyone else love this record?

When I saw them for that tour they opened with the CD version of Sucide Note pt 1 being played through the PA. As this was going on there was a big white sheet covering the stage and they were projecting various images on it (weed leaf, pantera logo, etc.). Then when the song ended, the sheet dropped and the band immediately kicked into Suicide Note pt 2!!! The pit just ERUPTED!!! Fucking amazing
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • OUTHOUSEOUTHOUSE Posts: 39
    Have had it since the first day it came out.

I was a freshman in high school. Saw Pantera in 98 with Coal Chamber and Machine head. My ears rang for days.

Phil's Work In my humble opinion (in order):

Down (Nola)
    Far Beyond Driven
    Vulgar Display of Power
    Great Southern Trendkill
    Down III (saw them on Tour in Houston...wow great show)
    Down II
    Cowboys from Hell
    Reinventing the Steel

Superjoint Ritual
    Viking Crown.