Pan-fuckin'-tera!

AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Posts: 547
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Love? Hate?

Share your thoughts.

I personally think that Phil has one of the best voices in metal, ever.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jdub3001jdub3001 Posts: 194
    Pantera was fucking awesome. Period. Down is pretty good as well, but not nearly as kick ass as the cowboys from hell were.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    They could be a bit samey and glamtera was horrible but my god did they have some killer tunes and Phil is one of the best.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • ive only heard their first two albums but damn, the speakers in my truck were never the same after that little phase i went through. FUCKIN' HOSTILE!!!!
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    lost my concert virginity seeing Pantera at 16 in 1994, wow, Sepultura opened, my ears were never the same

to say it was intense would be an understatement
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    They were always a bit of hit and miss for me.Bf in their Phil days was a huge fan.Dimebag was cool though.Occassionally stick Cowboys from Hell on mp3,when feel like an ear bash.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • never cared much for them, shame what happened to darrell though.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    ive only heard their first two albums but damn, the speakers in my truck were never the same after that little phase i went through. FUCKIN' HOSTILE!!!!
    Fucking Hostile wasn't on either of their first albums. They had a whole load of albums before cowboys of hell, they were just terrible. This is before Phil joined on vocals.

They had three albums, Metal Magic, Projects in the jungle, I am the night and Power Metal before they hit it big with Cowboys from Hell.

I hear Power Metal isn't as bad as the other Glamtera albums, can anyone confirm this as true?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    dime's dead.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Love this song by PANTERA...."WALK" one can get ALL anger out on this song.

Are you talking to ME? !

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Fucking Hostile wasn't on either of their first albums. They had a whole load of albums before cowboys of hell, they were just terrible. This is before Phil joined on vocals.

They had three albums, Metal Magic, Projects in the jungle, I am the night and Power Metal before they hit it big with Cowboys from Hell.

I hear Power Metal isn't as bad as the other Glamtera albums, can anyone confirm this as true?
    It's not horrible, my friend has a bunch of their early stuff. It always sounded KISS influenced to me (even before I knew Dime was a huge Kiss fan). I did get to meet Terry Glaze at a guitar showcase in Dallas a few years ago, as he was playing with a new band called "Lord Tracy" Again, real Glam rock influence in the band.
    Overall, I'm just not a Pantera fan. I like some of the slow songs that Phil sings like "Cometary Gates," "Floods" and the songs like that. But as far as the Growling/ screaming and the angry songs, just don't care for the whole thrash metal thing even outside of Pantera, just not my cup of tea.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Not my favorite type of music, but I saw them in March of 2001 with a friend of mine.

Pit tickets.

It really was an awesome and intense show.

I was sad when Dimebag died.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I only got to see them once...but probably the most intense opening of a concert I've ever been a part of.

Trendkill tour
    Suicide Note part I with white lights behind the band, illuminating them against a kilt like curtain of fan-made banners....which dropped as pt. II kicked in to slay us all...utter chaos... with those pulsing white floodlights, you got these momentary glimpses of bodies flying everywhere....:cool:

Phil slagged Metallica that show too :) his stage banter kinda annoyed me, but that was cool.
  • I just have their greatest hits... that's all I need really. It really depends on my mood if I like them or not, sometimes I could be really into it then later on I just think it sucks.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I'm a fan :) and i'm also a guitarist, and there's some pantera songs that have some of the most sweetest riffs you could play.
    Cemetery Gates, Regular People, I'm Broken. Badass. To the max. Fanfreakinawesome. They just make you wanna rock.
  • LOVE.... have loved for years, seen them on last ever UK date in 2000...

but then, everyone on here knows I love my metal :cool:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Love:

saw them at Liverpool Royal Court in '94. Amazing gig.

current Top 5:

Rise
    The Art of Shredding
    5 Minutes Alone
    Use My Third Arm
    Suicide Note Part 2
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    g under p wrote:
    Love this song by PANTERA...."WALK" one can get ALL anger out on this song.

Are you talking to ME? !

Peace
    OMG!... What a song to rip up the dance floor too.... :D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • I'm not really a fan of metal, but even I like some Pantera. They're too good. Dimebag was one of the best guitarists ever....and quite under appreciated.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Love? Hate?

Share your thoughts.

I personally think that Phil has one of the best voices in metal, ever.

I got into these guys in 1992 as a HS junior when Vulgar Display of Power came out. A buddy of mine had Cowboys from Hell but I didn't pay any attention to him when he said they were great. I remember listening to the Vulgar album before track meets to get pumped up for a race.

A great, great band that inspired a thousand rip-offs throughout the late 90's and early 00's. Seems like every metal band during that era were just screaming angrily over third-rate Pantera riffs.

THey were an awesome band though. They were great live and I miss being able to go see them.

RIP Dime.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i've always really liked Pantera. i got to see them open for Black Sabbath in Philly back in 99. they only played two songs from Far Beyond Driven (Use My Third Arm and Becoming) and everything else was from Cowboys and Vulgar.
    best songs for me are:
    Dom/Hollow live
    This Love
    Slaughtered
    Shedding Skin
    War Nerve
    Mouth For War
    New Level
    10's
    I'll Cast A Shadow (maybe their best song IMO)
    Yesterday Don't Mean Shit
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    i've been a fan for years. unfortunately not long enough, as i never got to see them live. damn shame.
  • lately, i can't stop listening to far beyond driven. :D

i was lucky enough to see them twice. as great as they were in the studio, they were even better live.