The Hold Steady

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Anyone else loving this band? I just recentelly got into them and I think they're amazing. I always love the overly-wordy songs like 70s "vintage" Springsteen, even if the numerous refenerences to American cities don't relate to a suburban middle class young lad like me living in a village in England. I think it's a bit weird to see Craig Finn, who's 36, singing about getting high and making out with girls at parties (and his voice grates on me at times) but you can't argue with a song like "First Night."

What are they like live?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I had never seen them before Lollapallooza 07 but the crowd was really into it. The band seemed to be having the time of their lives.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Everytime I hear them I think of Husker Du. They seem to be very influenced by Bob Mould and the boys. Anyone that likes The Hold Steady could do worse than check out New Day Rising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeqyCwAeT3I&feature=related
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I really enjoyed "Boys and Girls in America", but I haven't been able to get into their earlier stuff. The first three tracks off of Boys & Girls are classic, straight up Springsteen storytelling rock songs, insanely addictive. That was one of my favorite albums of 2006.

Can't wait for their new one, it's due out sometime this summer.
  • piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    They are amazing live! Craig Finn, on stage, just looks like he couldn't possible be happier.

Great live band. They're working on a new album now, so should be touring soon!
  • thesheffthesheff Posts: 59
    I'm going to see them this Friday - can't wait. Saw 'em at Lolla 07 and couldn't wait to see them play a small place.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    saw them support the Stones last year and they were shocking. each to their own though
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    They'll have a new album out in July.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I love these guys...They're great to see live, and I love how their songs are all about getting high and partying.
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Very underrated band. Love Boys And Girls In America! Awesome album.
  • nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    Well I lovin Boys And Girls of America record......still to buy 1st two albums tho!!

they playing Dublin in mid-May (same week as The National, Dino Jnr!!)
    so hope to head to it!!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    They've announced a first bit of tour dates post new Album on 7/15 (single on Itunes 5/20)

07-17 Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom
    07-18 Pontiac, MI - Crofoot Ballroom
    07-19 Chicago, IL - Union Park (Pitchfork Music Festival) $
    07-21 Madison, WI - Majestic Theatre
    07-22 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
    07-23 Fargo, ND - Fargo Theatre
    07-26 Seattle, WA - Capitol Hill Block Party
    07-27 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
    07-29 San Francisco, CA - Mezzanine
    07-30 Los Angeles, CA - Avalon
    08-02 Tucson, AZ - Rialto Theatre
    08-03 El Paso, TX - Club 101
    08-05 Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom
    08-06 Austin, TX - La Zona Rosa
    08-08 Oxford, MS - Proud Larry's
    08-09 Athens, GA - 40 Watt
    08-10 Charleston, SC - The Pourhouse
    08-12 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle
    08-13 Norfolk, VA - The Norva
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    great band, with a raucous beer swilling party atmosphere of a live show

see a strong link to The Replacements, and early Elvis Costello as well as the other comparisons(E Street band, Husker Du)
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.