Can bad production ruin an otherwise decent record?

2»

Comments

• fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I telling you one has to turn up the volume a tone just to hear the song
  • JWBusher wrote:
    The probelm with the Springsteen and Pumpkins albums is not necessarily the production, but the way that they were mastered & prepared for CD. They're very, very compressed, loud and trebly, which is sadly the standard these days. The new Paul McCartney and Red Hot Chili Peppers are some of the worst examples of this. A lot of record labels and artists deliberately do bad mastering work because they think that's what people want to hear. It's called the "loudness wars" and there have been countless articles and even youtube videos about it. That's why I buy a lot of new albums on vinyl (and even they can be mastered badly).

I'm so glad you said this. It is a fucking disgrace to music everywhere that this is going on.

For those who maybe want to know more, an article that was written up around 2001 and is still relevant today on this can be found here:

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm

If you don't feel like reading all that there is a very quick and to the point video that explains this stuff linked at the bottom of the article in the link above. It is the hyperlink titled "A Short Video About Loud CDs".

Also, it should be noted that the trend in country music is kind of the opposite. At least it was a couple years ago as I don't make it a point to listen to that kind of music, but when I'm in the car with my mom, that's what we listen to. Anyway, she put in a relatively new CD and I was instantly amazed at how much depth there was and how organic everything felt.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    well.......one album I for sure feel was ruined by pruduction levels was Rid of Me, PJ Harvey. Steve Albini is lauded at times but I fail to hear why, too low,then too loud, always too tinny.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    elmer wrote:
    well.......one album I for sure feel was ruined by pruduction levels was Rid of Me, PJ Harvey. Steve Albini is lauded at times but I fail to hear why, too low,then too loud, always too tinny.

I don't claim to know much about production, but I've always thought the bad sound on this album was part of it's charm. Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but I always figured it was supposed to sound like crap! You do need to turn the volume up pretty high to listen to that album, but it's never bothered me. I just make sure not to allow those songs to shuffle with my other music!

I also remember reading complaints about the production on Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes on another message board. Again, I can see what people are saying, but it just wouldn't be the same with a more modern sound, in my opinion.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I'm so glad you said this. It is a fucking disgrace to music everywhere that this is going on.

For those who maybe want to know more, an article that was written up around 2001 and is still relevant today on this can be found here:

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm

If you don't feel like reading all that there is a very quick and to the point video that explains this stuff linked at the bottom of the article in the link above. It is the hyperlink titled "A Short Video About Loud CDs".

Also, it should be noted that the trend in country music is kind of the opposite. At least it was a couple years ago as I don't make it a point to listen to that kind of music, but when I'm in the car with my mom, that's what we listen to. Anyway, she put in a relatively new CD and I was instantly amazed at how much depth there was and how organic everything felt.

Good post and great links, cheers.

It becomes very evident how music is being ruined.....

Magic by Springsteen sounds worse each time I hear it....a shame.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    soclose wrote:
    I don't claim to know much about production, but I've always thought the bad sound on this album was part of it's charm. Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but I always figured it was supposed to sound like crap! You do need to turn the volume up pretty high to listen to that album, but it's never bothered me. I just make sure not to allow those songs to shuffle with my other music!
    but most of the songs are on her 4-Track Demo's cd where they sound beat-up, distorted, she sounds like a true psychotic banshee. On the album proper I find it much harder to feel the songs, the silent moments just irk.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Metallica's And Justice For All comes to mind when I think about a good album with bad production. Did Jason even play bass on that one? Can't hear it.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Good post and great links, cheers.

It becomes very evident how music is being ruined.....

Magic by Springsteen sounds worse each time I hear it....a shame.....

Thanks. It is a shame, indeed. I can hardly listen to Pearl Jam's newest album anymore because of this. I LOVE the songs, but when I try to listen to them I get a headache. If you wanna hear a REALLY good example of a well done CD, I'd suggest Tad's "Inhaler" or "Infrared Riding Hood". Those albums are so raw and heavy, yet sound unbelievably awesome! I guess another album that I've been listening to alot lately that sounds really good too would be the Melvin's "Houdini".
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Thanks. It is a shame, indeed. I can hardly listen to Pearl Jam's newest album anymore because of this. I LOVE the songs, but when I try to listen to them I get a headache. If you wanna hear a REALLY good example of a well done CD, I'd suggest Tad's "Inhaler" or "Infrared Riding Hood". Those albums are so raw and heavy, yet sound unbelievable awesome! I guess another album that I've been listening to alot lately that sounds really good too would be the Melvin's "Houdini".

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll definately check them out.

Im with you on Avacado too, such a badly produced album...
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Just a thought, but whenever I read interviews with rock bands about their new albums, they're forever saying that they want to replicate how they sound on stage, on record. Nearly every show I ever go to is typically way too loud to the point of distortion, dropping the volume a little would allow a lot more clarity of sound. For some reason people think they can't enjoy a show unless they are totally consumed by the music which means ridiculous volumes that are ultimately damaging people's hearing. I would far rather have the volume turned down, but be able to hear the singer's voice perfectly or for an amazing guitar solo to be audible. So if these bands are intent on 'capturing' that live wall of sound, it's no wonder so many records sound so sanitised.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me

.....amazing/intense/incredible album rendered almost unlistenable by Butch Vigs hack job
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the wall of sound production of Magic. The only thing I don't like about it is the effects that are put on Springsteen's voice (layering it, adding delay like in Last to Die, etc) which often don't help the song at all.

But still, records like Darkness on the Edge of Town sound horrible but are still jaw droppingly amazing.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Flagg wrote:
    Metallica's And Justice For All comes to mind when I think about a good album with bad production. Did Jason even play bass on that one? Can't hear it.
    The bass is inaudible intentionally out of respect for Cliff. Other than that I love the sound of that album.
  • considering production has ruined Riot Act, Binaural, and especially avacado, id say yes.

PJ should beg O'brien to come back.