Qtrax - millions of songs to download for free and legally?

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited January 2008 in Other Music
So I open the paper today to find an article about something called Qtrax, a service that claims to offer millions of songs to download for free and legally. Apparently, the big labels are all onboard.

It's the first I've heard of it, and this seems like something pretty big. Has anybody tried it? Does it work?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Im sure there is something behind it, the only free services I have seen offer no name bands basically
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • whoa that actually looks pretty impressive... Its looking like iTunes except free... hmmm... I guess the site means it is available at midnight tonight? It says with the advertising they use, they will be able to compensate the artists for their work on the music. but I couldn't give a damn about that or if its legal... it still looks decent...
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Researched it a little bit. Apparently, some labels haven't commited to it yet but they're in negotiations.

And it will be free because they'll use adverts. Not sure what to think about that really.
  • muppet wrote:
    Researched it a little bit. Apparently, some labels haven't commited to it yet but they're in negotiations.

And it will be free because they'll use adverts. Not sure what to think about that really.

Yeah I looked at the site a bit more... I think this is a good thing... it might help out some peoples consciences
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Can the songs be burned or copied to MP3 players?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Can the songs be burned or copied to MP3 players?

ooooo... good question...
  • Can the songs be burned or copied to MP3 players?

Apparently you will be able to put them on your iPod by March.

Not sure about other devices, but I plan on downloading it when I get home from work.
  • I was just thinking though... their gonna have to have a assload of adds to come up with the kind of money that they need to... I bet their gonna do something retarded like integrate adds into the songs or something... or maybe they will have a ton of pop ups...
  • i looked into this and it looks pretty stupid. it's pretty much just another application to play music through. and they are tagged with DRM that send information back about how many times you listen to the songs.

Do you really want your listening habits being reported back to the very people who are trying to sell you Creed and Nickelback?

We bought Pearl Jam, so they signed Creed. We listened to Nirvana, so they signed Seether. Does anyone else not see the problem here? Whatever you listen to, they are going to sign 10 watered down versions to sell you next year. Fuck that.

Keep stealing till their entire business model is dead and gone. You'll save future generations from having to put up with what we did.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Keep stealing till their entire business model is dead and gone. You'll save future generations from having to put up with what we did.

Got a good point there.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • i looked into this and it looks pretty stupid. it's pretty much just another application to play music through. and they are tagged with DRM that send information back about how many times you listen to the songs.

Do you really want your listening habits being reported back to the very people who are trying to sell you Creed and Nickelback?

We bought Pearl Jam, so they signed Creed. We listened to Nirvana, so they signed Seether. Does anyone else not see the problem here? Whatever you listen to, they are going to sign 10 watered down versions to sell you next year. Fuck that.

Exactly and there already is Pandora (for now) so this seems to me like a crappy corporate idea.

I bet there will be ads at the end of each song or possably shorten songs that if you like you can then purchase the full song fro 75 cents. As to undercut Itunes
    I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

The Tie-Dye Lady is HOT!!!
  • There're easy ways around unDRMing a file ;)
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • I was wondering why I couldn't download anything yet...

http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9859244-2.html