Oasis

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Why are this band hated so much? The singer is a twat but they're released some great music. Overrated, probably - especially by the British press. But their early stuff is great and they've got a fucking attitude, unlike these emtionless dweebs that are classed music these days in the UK.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    muppet wrote:
    Why are this band hated so much? The singer is a twat but they're released some great music. Overrated, probably - especially by the British press. But their early stuff is great and they've got a fucking attitude, unlike these emtionless dweebs that are classed music these days in the UK.

I love Oasis. Particularly the first two albums. SOTSOG and Be Here now are decent too. Their other albums are hit and miss, but the hits among them are very good. That said, these days Liam's voice has gone to shit. I always preferred Noel as a singer anyway.
    Why the get so much flak is beyond me.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • I always figured they'd be more liked if Liam wasn't in the band. Not just cos he's an idiot, but Noel's a far superiour singer and songwriter.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    their first three albums are great. be here now i can see somebody not liking, but how can any rock and roll fan really argue with definitely maybe or morning glory? just great great rock albums. their songs are very catchy and melodic. great band, even though their frontman isnt such a nice person.
  • monster95monster95 Posts: 127
    the band everyone loves to hate...liam gallagher is such a prick..cant sing..cant play an instrument...noel is thee brains of the band...and hes funny too..got a fuckin brilliantly funny opinion on everyone and everything.
    "dont look back in anger i hear ya say"?????
    I plan to live forever.so far so good !
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Liam's writing songs these days. I think he had 3 on the last album. He's evolved from the days when all he could play was a tambourine.

I love them.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    ya i think he wrote songbird which is one of my favs

i've gone on an oasis binge the past few months, can't believe i overlooked them earlier in my life...they are amazing
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    oasis is the best fookin band in the world
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    oasis is the best fookin band in the world
    Just ask them!
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I was a fan at the beginning and then I joined in the backlash......years later I found out that I was really missing out on them. I really do not understand why some people still hate them.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    "dont look back in anger" is one of the greatest songs of all time, in my opinion.
  • "dont look back in anger" is one of the greatest songs of all time, in my opinion.

In it's other incarnation as Imagine, yes, it is.:D

Joke.:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    In it's other incarnation as Imagine, yes, it is.:D

Joke.:p

haha funny. the beginning sounds very similar, but come on!
  • haha funny. the beginning sounds very similar, but come on!

Definitely a good party/pub gig singalong, I'll give it that.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    People just don't get the Gallgher's sense of humor. Both Noel and Liam are very funny guys. They don't take the media seriously and say whatever over the top thing that they can think of.
    what are everyone's fav songs? i'm still discovering some of their stuff so i hope to come across some goodies

here are mine so far:

some might say
    don't look back in anger
    live forever
    cast no shadow
    acquiesce
    morning glory
    songbird
    slide away
    magic pie
    the masterplan
    talk tonight
    the importance of being idle
    gas panic
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
    hodge wrote:
    what are everyone's fav songs? i'm still discovering some of their stuff so i hope to come across some goodies

here are mine so far:

some might say
    don't look back in anger
    live forever
    cast no shadow
    acquiesce
    morning glory
    songbird
    slide away
    magic pie
    the masterplan
    talk tonight
    gas panic

cant argue any of those. you have to get some from be here now though. underrated album. my faves off that are:
    stand by me
    don't go away
    all around the world

also, rock n roll star off definitely maybe is a great song.
    ya i'm actually quite familiar with be Here now...bought that the summer it came out because of "d'you know what i mean"

it's The Masterplan, Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants and Heathen Chemistry, and Don't Believe the Truth aka all their new stuff that i don't know too much from yet haha
    hodge wrote:
    ya i'm actually quite familiar with be Here now...bought that the summer it came out because of "d'you know what i mean"

it's The Masterplan, Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants and Heathen Chemistry, and Don't Believe the Truth aka all their new stuff that i don't know too much from yet haha

i love them. ive heard they are nothing special live tho. id still love to see them.
  • phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    they're Godlike! Love Liam & Noel because they're both funny as hell evry one of them in their own way. By the way they got an attitude & character that matched the Rock'N'Roll they're producing.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    i love them. ive heard they are nothing special live tho. id still love to see them.

I say this as a non-Oasis fan. I liked the 1st two albums, but they've never been a favourite of mine.
    But, saw them live at Manchester City's football ground, Main Road when they were in their 'prime' around '96ish.
    They had Cast, Ocean Colour Scene & (making their comeback) Manic Street Preachers as suppost.
    Fantastic show.
    Back then, can't speak for how they are now, they just had that certain aura about them. Liam just walked out on stage and 60,000 people just went nuts.
    They certainly hit all the right notes that night, it was a very memorable show.
    Perhaps as the years have gone by the whole swaggering image thing has worn a bit thin and that the style was outweighing the content.
    But after the 1st two albums they were magnificent.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I like Oasis. I think the fact that they are so overrated is actually somewhat charming. They have a good rock and roll personality and they try their best to live up to it. Liam and Noel are just good characters in rock. They have been like this from the beginning, and some of the stuff they say and do is so outlandish that you have to believe they don't even believe the BS they throw out there. But I enjoy their music.

My favorite songs of theirs are
    Columbia
    Meaning of Soul
    Some Might Say
    Rock and Roll Star
    Hello

I group them into a category with Kings of Leon where I have no idea what their songs are supposed to mean- I just like the sound even though the lyrics might be dumb
  • They've been one of my favorites ever since I heard Live Forever on the radio back in the day. Like everyone has said, they are just a damn good rock n roll band. The first three albums are magnificient....I put Be Here Now right up there with the other two. The albums are kind of hit or miss after that I think, but still damn good stuff in large. Oasis is one of those bands whose new stuff I buy regardless without any question....one of those I'm always anxioius to hear from

As far as the disdain so many have for them, I've never understood. Personally, I like the rock n roll guys to be assholes and have constant tension going on, there's just something interesting about it....just seems like that even makes them more rock n roll. Liam is indeed a jackass and Noel is indeed the brains of the group. I really think they would be just as good if Liam quit all together, but they surely wouldn't be as interesting. Perhaps they are a tad overrated in Britain, but I wouldn't say that's the case over here.

I've never had the opportunity to see them live, but I would love to based on the two dvds I have and often crank up late on Saturday nights when just a few stragglers are still hanging around
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    hodge wrote:

here are mine so far:

some might say
    don't look back in anger
    live forever
    cast no shadow
    acquiesce
    morning glory
    songbird
    slide away
    magic pie
    the masterplan
    talk tonight
    gas panic

Too many great ones to really say. They have made such a large quantity of good music. Off the top of my head though.......Gas Panic, Columbia, Champagne Supernova, Stop Crying Your Heart Out, Some Might Say
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    very talented, but they put a lot of filler on those records

aside from whats the story, I find only a few songs on each record that I like.

the catalog could be condensed into about 3-4 really good records

plus, it would be nice if they were just a bit more enthusiatic about playing live shows in the US (not to mention playing some smaller venues where its not about the $$$$$$$$$$$)
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I have Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory, Be Here Now, Masterplan, and Heathen Chemistry.

Be Here Now was the album that drove me away. DM, MG & MP are great Cd's though.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I always figured they'd be more liked if Liam wasn't in the band. Not just cos he's an idiot, but Noel's a far superiour singer and songwriter.

I agree, I found myself preferring Noel's vocals to Liam's some years ago...However Liam is still a fuckin' great singer and he IS the main frontman of the band:) Yes, he seems a terrible prick but I wouldn't like him to leave the band!

I don't hate them at all, I DO like their music but I still think Blur's discography is more unique, colourful, innovative and precious, I miss them SO MUCH - Damon Albarn and Graham Coxon are as fuckin' gifted musicians as Richard Ashcroft and Nick McCabe!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    oasis rocks, that works for me.