All of this indie rock in the UK...

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Can't say I'm liking this sudden influx of indie bands in the UK. I don't know if it's the same in the USA or other countries but in the UK there seems to be about a hundred bands (usually titled "The <something>") that all sound exactly the same and wear the exact same clothes from Topman. Say what you want about Oasis but at least they have some personality of their own.

I know I'm probably been very narrow minded but if there's going to be a rock revial, I'd rather it were with bands that weren't annoying.

What do you Brits think? Are there any good bands that I'm missing out on?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    muppet wrote:
    Can't say I'm liking this sudden influx of indie bands in the UK. I don't know if it's the same in the USA or other countries but in the UK there seems to be about a hundred bands (usually titled "The <something>") that all sound exactly the same and wear the exact same clothes from Topman. Say what you want about Oasis but at least they have some personality of their own.

I know I'm probably been very narrow minded but if there's going to be a rock revial, I'd rather it were with bands that weren't annoying.

There probably are some good bands that you're missing out on, but I couldn't tell you what they are. My solution to this is to never, ever, EVER listen to the radio. So now, when people talk about all these bands that sound the same, I can proudly say "I don't really know who that is".
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • muppet wrote:

i agree with you 100%
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    For the most part, yes, but it's plain lazy to say that every band is rubbish. Search for decent music!

I'm really getting into Cage the Elephant recently. Lots of varied music (if a little poppy at times), a good live show and true rock n roll spirits. They're still young so plenty of time to develop (sometimes songs sound like they're building up to a guitar solo.... then there isn't one) but I definitely think they're onto something. First band I've seen in quite a while who I think could build a career on what they've got rather than drilling the same formula into the ground til people get bored. Their debut is out sometime between April and June, but I've heard all the songs off it now in one form or another (Album sampler + Myspace + live show) and it's pretty damn good. They even use a slide in one song!

Selling over :p
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I like some of the UK indie bands that are about just now, The Maccabees album is one of my favourites in recent years. Love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvr8DGuw0cw
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I hardly know whats happening with UK music scene just now,what comes of not listening to radio/watch mtv et all.
    The Fratellis are great though.A good live band and great fun,real sing along stuff,and their Scottish :)
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • muppet wrote:

I agree. I am so sick of indie. The majority of the bands sound exactly the same.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I hardly know whats happening with UK music scene just now,what comes of not listening to radio/watch mtv et all.
    The Fratellis are great though.A good live band and great fun,real sing along stuff,and their Scottish :)

Actually, I love The Fratellis. The soundtrack to many drunken nights out.
    stargirl69 wrote:

Liked the fratellis when they first came out but some of the songs they have released have been horrendous, chelsea dagger should be banned.

Maybe i should be supporting them as they are from Glasgow but there are a few other Glasgow indie bands i much prefer at the moment.

Dykeenies are really good and a decent bunch of guys, good live as well. Love this song New Ideas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxtXgKepIAc

Also really like what The Royal We are doing at the moment All The Rage -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WExJEYZiM0

Favourite Glasgow band and of recent years is undoubtedly Glasvegas though, best band ive seen live in years as well. Daddys Gone -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uSdQxKaBfU
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    stu gee wrote:
    I like some of the UK indie bands that are about just now, The Maccabees album is one of my favourites in recent years. Love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvr8DGuw0cw

Toothpaste kisses is amazing also
    fada wrote:
    Toothpaste kisses is amazing also

Yeah its a nice wee tune, its a pretty simple album but i really like all of it. Latchmere is probably my favourite on the album.

I also really like The Cribs and Art Brut. Emily Kane is one of my absolute favourite songs in recent years to be honest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvA0UBesfbY
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    stu gee wrote:
    Liked the fratellis when they first came out but some of the songs they have released have been horrendous, chelsea dagger should be banned.

Maybe i should be supporting them as they are from Glasgow but there are a few other Glasgow indie bands i much prefer at the moment.

Dykeenies are really good and a decent bunch of guys, good live as well. Love this song New Ideas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxtXgKepIAc

Also really like what The Royal We are doing at the moment All The Rage -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WExJEYZiM0

Favourite Glasgow band and of recent years is undoubtedly Glasvegas though, best band ive seen live in years as well. Daddys Gone -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uSdQxKaBfU

Thanks a lot for the reccomendations. This forum is certinally useful for discovering new music.

I've actually listened to a bit of Glasvegas before and Daddys Gone is amazing. I didn't think too much of their other stuff however.
  • Sawyer wrote:
    MGMT are just amazing......worth the hype.....Vampire Weekend too in my opinion.

yeah I can't say enough how fucking awesome MGMT is... every friend I introduced them to they really love em...
    muppet wrote:
    Thanks a lot for the reccomendations. This forum is certinally useful for discovering new music.

I've actually listened to a bit of Glasvegas before and Daddys Gone is amazing. I didn't think too much of their other stuff however.

I didnt think theire first recordings were that great but i love their new stuff and also the reworkings of their first songs.

Check out Geraldine amd Flowers and Football Tops in particular on their myspace, the latter tune is fantastic in my opinion. Fair enough if you dont like them though.

http://www.myspace.com/glasvegas
  • I hear you...

most of the stuff like Wombats, Babyshambles, Pigeon Detectives, The Cribs etc is all overhyped bollocks to me.....

they all sound and look the same, same jagged sideswept haircuts, Topman cardigans and and jeans thinner then their legs.....its all very very boring.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • shite....utter shite.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    I fucking love the Cribs, 3 great albums. To mention them with the wombats is wrong.
  • ChazzChazz Posts: 1,135
    they all sound and look the same, same jagged sideswept haircuts, Topman cardigans and and jeans thinner then their legs.....its all very very boring.....

This comment made me laugh.....what is it with men in skinny jeans - do they not have mirrors in their houses? :o

I'm just too lazy nowadays to listen to radio and get into these new bands....they all seem to have such a short life span anyway (very closed minded of me I know)
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • The Cribs are probably one of my most hated bands at the moment. I have a friend who loves them and of the 10 songs or so I've been shown that cover their career, every single one has been utter shit. Where's the musicality, the interest? It's just watered-down, accent-laden "rock" for the iTunes generation.
    The Cribs are probably one of my most hated bands at the moment. I have a friend who loves them and of the 10 songs or so I've been shown that cover their career, every single one has been utter shit. Where's the musicality, the interest? It's just watered-down, accent-laden "rock" for the iTunes generation.

I would never go as far as to analyse and disect music or a band as much as to call them "watered-down, accent-laden "rock" for the iTunes generation". I just know when i like the sound and music that a band produces, and i for one really like the Cribs.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I have to say I'm totally sick of most of the stuff thats being pumped outta the UK at the mo, with one exception.

Bloc Party.

And I have no idea why, cos I don't like that style of music at all.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
    Bloc Party's first album is honestly one of my all time favourites, id probably have it in my top 5.

2nd one's pretty rubbish though.
  • stu gee wrote:
    I would never go as far as to analyse and disect music or a band as much as to call them "watered-down, accent-laden "rock" for the iTunes generation". I just know when i like the sound and music that a band produces, and i for one really like the Cribs.
    I just know when I detest the sound and music that a band produces, and I for one really detest the Cribs. Ah, opinions, opinions. I wouldn't really say that I "dissected" music. Not quite sure where that came from. I just say what I hear.