Fleet Foxes

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Listening to their debut for the first time right now. Perfect summer record! Loving it so far, and I'm only on track 2.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tnt358tnt358 Posts: 72
    i love it also, good album
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I have heard many good things about this album. I must download it and have a listen.

Can you make any comparisons?
    Cock Fight.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I love this band. The EP is incredible as well.

Tek Money: I've read comparisons to My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses and Grizzly Bear. The first and last I agree with to limited extents, but the Band of Horse comparison is off the mark as far as I'm concerned.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Yep band of horses, my morning jacket, grizzly bear, the shins are all thrown out there and i can hear them all to some extent.

They really sound like a indie modern day CSNY with their harmonies.

They are pretty good.

The EP is pretty awesome too if nothing else for songs 3 &4 on the ep. Which are my two favs by them.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    great band. the record is fantastic.
  • very good album, great sounds
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Echo27Echo27 Posts: 57
    Their music is great and they appear to be nice people, too. My husband's band played a show with them a while back and we had a poster designed. The other two bands on the bill flaked when it came time to cough up the money (which was probably only like 30 bucks, now that I think of it!). The foxes split the bill with us so we weren't completely screwed. It's always nice when nice people make it.
    "I am disrespectful to dirt! Can you see that I am serious?"
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I've been alternating between this record & the new beck record... I'm in love w/ both of them.

I like this one a bit better though.
  • quasiquasi Posts: 492
    Saw them two nights in a row a few weeks ago in LA ($10 each night in small clubs...what a deal!). They sound even better live in my opinion. I'm afraid their days of playing small clubs are over as they are getting so popular. Yes, they are really nice. The Spaceland show had sold out and Robin (the lead singer) went out and put as many people as he could on his guest list to get them in. I talked to him a bit before the show and he's a very cool guy.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I live in Fleet but never heard of them!
  • just discovered this band yesterday, and i'm pissed that i didn't earlier since their show is sold out at the middle east in boston tonight. i would have loved to have gone (esp. for 9 bucks). lead singer def. sounds like jim james of MMJ, and they've got a mix of MMJ, the shins, grizzly bear and the beach boys, combined with folk that is quite awesome.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Yes, I listened and it definitely reminds me of earlier MMJ. It's ok I guess. I will have to listen more, but it isn't in my buy list yet.
    Cock Fight.
  • i just discovered the fleet foxes a couple of months ago and have been obsessed ever since- definitely prefer sun giant to their full album... its really hard to categorize their sound without sounding crass, but i'd say its like csny on crack. and then some.

saw them for the second time yesterday at the capitol hill block party and i was blown away all over again. their live shows are amazing.
    ...master of karate and friendship for everyone!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    what a beautiful sound they have. very reminiscent of MMJ. robin peckhold really does have that jim james thing going on. and then i can hear CS&N in there as well. this is very good stuff. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I've been spinnin this a lot lately, but picked it up on vinyl last night and would highly recommend this to anyone who digs. The harmonies are absolutely stunning on record. Definitely the breakout band of the year imo.

I also picked up some tix to their Somerville, MA show coming up in October. I am so happy that they decided to come back to the Boston area after their sold-out show in Cambridge that I couldn't get tix to earlier on.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Picked this one up a couple of weeks ago and it really hasn't started clicking with me yet. The singer's vocals sound almost identical to Jim James, maybe it is going to take me a while to get used to that. They have a somewhat interesting sound, but I don't find them to be particularly memorable so far.
  • GhostBoyGhostBoy Posts: 113
    I've had this LP for quite some time now. Took a long time to grow on me, but it finally did a couple of weeks ago. Early on, only a couple of tracks stood out to me, now I'm digging the whole album.
    All Those Yesterdays: This Day In Pearl Jam History - Sharing show anniversaries, releases, appearances, and more.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    CM1847 wrote:
    Picked this one up a couple of weeks ago and it really hasn't started clicking with me yet. The singer's vocals sound almost identical to Jim James, maybe it is going to take me a while to get used to that. They have a somewhat interesting sound, but I don't find them to be particularly memorable so far.

yeah i had a friend freaked out about just that thing today. he compared it to scott stapp singing like edved, to which i freaked out, cause no one sings like ed and i doubt robin pecknold deliberately sets out to sound like JJ. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • CM1847 wrote:

Keep listening. They're pretty memorable to me. They have something folky going on that isn't quite MMJ.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    Although I think they have quite a few good songs, "He Doesn't Know Why" is the perfect pop song. It has one of the best melodies I've heard in years.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Keep listening. They're pretty memorable to me. They have something folky going on that isn't quite MMJ.
    Aside from the vocals I wouldn't really compare them to MMJ at all, but the vocals are the first thing that stands out when you hear the album.

It's starting to grow on me a bit, I've been listening to it daily and each time it seems like a new song or a new section of a song starts to stick out for me. Hopefully it keeps getting better.