Reccomend me some "dark acoustic" stuff

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited June 2007 in Other Music
So yeah, nothing fits a dark night better with some minimalistic dark acoustic songs.

I'm looking for some good reccomendations, prefably in the vein of Springsteen's "Nebraska" album or some of Chris Cornell's early solo work like "Seasons."

Bit of an odd request but I'd like to see what you come up with.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    Alice In Chain's Unplugged and Jar of Flies EP
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • btb002 wrote:
    Alice In Chain's Unplugged and Jar of Flies EP

best acoustic albums ever, dark or not!
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Opeth's Damnation album.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I don't know where you're from, so I don't know if you ever heard of Damien Rice. If you aint, he's an Irish singer/song writer, who has released 2 of the most essential acoustic albums of the 21st century. It's the type of stuff you have to live with, not all immediate, most of it pretty simply about the 'boy/girl/relationship' struggle-but done so wonderfully idiosyncratically. It's the type of stuff that the more you listen to, the more words you understand...the more you relate...and the more you really 'understand'. 2 cd's, called 'O' and 9 Crimes, and a b-side collection. The first album was described as "the heart break album of the year", it's quality stuff-you should get 1 or both of them and live with them for a while, you'll hear a guy who does what his instinct tells him-and it's beautiful, sometimes tragically beautiful-'dark', if you like. JUK
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Get some Mark Lanegan solo stuff as quickly as possible, and just binge on it.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Matt LukinMatt Lukin Posts: 647
    The National Lights - The Dead Will Walk, Dear
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • What the fuck is dark acoustic?
  • no-brainer...

Alice In Chains - Sap Ep

Brother, Got Me Wrong, Right Turn & Am I Inside.

GREAT stuff...Am I Inside is like THE song of dark acoustic music.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Days of the New is what you are looking for...

the "Orange" album was pretty amazing.it had some singles in the late 90's that were in some rotation.. the second album was pretty good.. not sure about the 3rd album though.

get it now if dark acoustic is what you are craving
  • well you know someone's gonna mention it, nirvana unplugged. doesn't get any darker than that.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • What the fuck is dark acoustic?

LOL!
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    jamie uk wrote:
    I don't know where you're from, so I don't know if you ever heard of Damien Rice.

good one...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Piano is an acoustic insturment too..

Lots of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds will do you good.

About half of Murder Ballads (not that the other half isn't great), The Boatman's Call...

Neil Young.. god yes,..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Anthony and the Johnsons

Jose Gonzales

Damien Rice has already been said
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    joseph arthur
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Rodrigues - Cold Fact
    Music is not a competetion.
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    Jonas hellborg - octave of the holy ghost
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    What the fuck is dark acoustic?

Come on you plum, you're just trying to be awkward. Every fucker knows what he means by 'dark acoustic', behave yourself man! And get yourself some Damien Rice, lock yourself in a room with it and absorb it 'til you feel like crying everytime you hear him sing.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    the ultimate dark acoustic is Nick Drake. Three albums, but what a three they are! Pink Moon could be the ultimate meloncholy sad dark acoustic record. The song "Place to be" alone is worth a listen. Hell of a record.
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    Try Godsmack's The Other Side EP. The songs are dark and if you can't take it, you'll join the dark side.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    some elliot smith is pretty dark stuff imo

my first thought too. his first 2 albums have some of the most depressing and menacing acoustic songs i've ever heard. the song roman candle makes me feel like... i hate fight club but this reference is the only one that seems to appropriately capture the feeling: destroying something beautiful.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Get some Mark Lanegan solo stuff as quickly as possible, and just binge on it.

binging as we speak. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    The soundtrack to Harry Potter
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • binging as we speak. :)

Can't beat it, can you?:)

*Closes eyes and wishes for Gutter Twins CD*
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    jeffbr wrote:
    Opeth's Damnation album.

love that album.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    jamie uk wrote:
    I don't know where you're from, so I don't know if you ever heard of Damien Rice. If you aint, he's an Irish singer/song writer, who has released 2 of the most essential acoustic albums of the 21st century. It's the type of stuff you have to live with, not all immediate, most of it pretty simply about the 'boy/girl/relationship' struggle-but done so wonderfully idiosyncratically. It's the type of stuff that the more you listen to, the more words you understand...the more you relate...and the more you really 'understand'. 2 cd's, called 'O' and 9 Crimes, and a b-side collection. The first album was described as "the heart break album of the year", it's quality stuff-you should get 1 or both of them and live with them for a while, you'll hear a guy who does what his instinct tells him-and it's beautiful, sometimes tragically beautiful-'dark', if you like. JUK

I agree. Damien Rice is amazing!! =)
    My lips are shaking.......
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions people. I'll be checking a few of these out!
  • IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    the song "alone" by pearl jam and aic.
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    Ryan Adams has some great dark acoustic stuff.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Mark Lanegan's 'Bubblegum' and 'Whiskey for the Holy Ghost' albums are what you're looking for.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert