Is "Zeitgeist" a good representation of the Smashing Pumpkins?

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I had the chance to listen to the Pumpkin's new album today. I'm not really a fan of them; never really listened to them, only their hits and the only one that really stood out for me was "1979" which I love. But I thought I'd try their new album because I need a new band to cling on to fill my Audioslave-less world.

And it was crap :(. It's a shame because I really wanted to like it. Anyway, what I'm asking is, if I don't like this new record, will I like some of their older stuff? They always seemed like a very interesting band and I'd like to listen to them a bit more.

Sorry if you're sick of reading threads on the Pumpkins :p
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I would probably start with Siamese Dream. If that record doesn't make you like SP than probably nothing will. Opinions I've read about Zeitgeist seem to be split pretty much down the middle.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    ^^^

Yeah start with Siamese Dream. Mellon Collie is damn good but it's a lot to take in for someone not really into them.

I love Adore, but that is a love/hate type album.

Zeitgeist I think is good, but the way they mixed Billy's voice is godawful in my opinion. The song Zeitgeist he sounds great so I know it's not Billy's voice specifically. I'd rank it under Gish, with that, Adore, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie above it.

I do think the tone of the music on Zeitgeist is very Pumpkins though. Not classic Pumpkins, but evolved Pumpkins.
  • culot4 wrote:
    I would probably start with Siamese Dream. If that record doesn't make you like SP than probably nothing will.
    Absolutely true.

It's not really a good representation of the Pumpkins.. It's missing the obscurity that marked all their records. It's pretty damn straitforward.

Though that's a noticable absence, I still think Zeitgeist is an excellent record.

Seriously though, get Siamese Dream and if you hate it just quit. :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • danny72688 wrote:
    ^^^

Yeah start with Siamese Dream. Mellon Collie is damn good but it's a lot to take in for someone not really into them.
    Yes.
    I love Adore, but that is a love/hate type album.
    Yes yes.
    Zeitgeist I think is good, but the way they mixed Billy's voice is godawful in my opinion. The song Zeitgeist he sounds great so I know it's not Billy's voice specifically.
    Yes yes yes. The songs actually sound better live than on record. Much better..

I do think the tone of the music on Zeitgeist is very Pumpkins though. Not classic Pumpkins, but evolved Pumpkins.
    God yes! Evolved is the right word to use.

I didn't really add anything to this post but I wanted to agree with it ;)

"Make our day"
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Go to http://www.archive.org and stream or download a couple of shows from different eras. There are some real nice audience recordings, some FM broadcasts, and an internet only released studio album.
  • The Vacant wrote:
    ... and an internet only released studio album.
    a.k.a. "Machina II". *nods*

Beware though: Pumpkins tended to be hit or miss live until about 1995 when they started to get their shit together.

"Make our day"
  • I dunno but I am going to purchase it as my first Pumpkins album on Tuesday. From Target too because Zeitgeist is a beautiful bonus track.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II