Have die hard fans ever ruined a band/singer for you?

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Okay, this is going to sound a little werid. But everyone knows who die hard fans are. Okay, I suppose we could all call ourselves die hard Pearl Jam fans, seeing as we're posting on the message board. But I'm talking about the really obsessive ones. The ones who refuse to find any fault in the band. The ones who refuse to accept that any other band could be good enough.

I'm not talking about Pearl Jam fans - the majortiy are extremelly cool and laid back people who don't blindly follow Eddie Vedder and co like sheep (although there do seem to be some exceptions!). And of course, there's the other end of the spectrum, where you have a band the like Smashing Pumpkins who can never seem to please a select bunch of fans who do nothing but bitch and moan.

But I dunno, it's some fans who are completely obsessed with a band/singer that, for me, actually spoil the band itself. Chris Cornell is an example. He's one of my favourite singers but Carry On was pretty crap, IMO. And the reviews seemed to agree - yet on the message board, each negative review was greeted with "fucking stupid music reject" and "they just don't get it." The shit really hit the fan when somebody said that fans of Rage Against The Machine were "jealous" of Chris Cornell because of his looks (if I ever find that thread, I'll give you the link becuase it's quite scary, the length some people will go to defend a multi-millionaire rockstar who probably doesen't give a shit about them).

This incessant, 'holier-than-thou' attitude that some fans give off really does ruin a lot of bands for me. Bizzarely, there have been cases when I actually want an artists album to fail, regardless of quality or not, just to prove these die hard fans wrong, although this is very rare and ususally the album is shite anyway (e.g. Carry On). So I guess it's my own fault really, and I'm letting it get to me. But it is annoying.

I know fans tend to follow a band through thick and thin and support them no matter what. That's cool, I suppose bands thrive on that kind of support. But worshipping the bands feet and refusing to take an objective look at a band...it just annoys me, really!

Rant over.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    people have never put me off listening to what i wanna listen to...
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    "people have never put me off listening to what i wanna listen to..."

And that's a great attitude to have, one I wish I had.
  • MathMath Posts: 71
    muppet wrote:
    I know fans tend to follow a band through thick and thin and support them no matter what. That's cool, I suppose bands thrive on that kind of support.

Well, a band with a big ego trip would. Well that probably is the case for a lot of bands but quite frankly, I'm sure that some bands would rather have a smart fan base with objectivity and reason. After all, being loved by a girl/guy with a brain is much more flattering and rewarding.
    "Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends" - Woody ALLEN
  • The Spice Girls
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    metallica fans depress me.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Kann wrote:
    metallica fans depress me.

how come?
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    They're the first people to constantly use the sentence :
    "well a band that always makes the same albums sucks, they got to, you know, evolve man".
    that's not an excuse.
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    At the beginning i did not listen to Metallica because of the fans i knew. Same for Dream Theater, Slayer Ministry. But i never was into one of those bands.
  • Math wrote:
    Well, a band with a big ego trip would. Well that probably is the case for a lot of bands but quite frankly, I'm sure that some bands would rather have a smart fan base with objectivity and reason. After all, being loved by a girl/guy with a brain is much more flattering and rewarding.

I don’t' really know if I let any ‘fans’ ruin any experience for me. I was at the Camden NJ shows last years and some jerkoff was peeing in the stands and peed on my poster and on my girlfriend's shoes/pant leg. I almost went to jail that night I was so pissed off. HAHAHA

One band that I can't stand that I know a lot of people probably love is Dave Mathews Band. I know they are pretty good musicians, but to me they are just so damn annoying! It also seems like everybody loves the shit out of them which is also really annoying HAHA. I liked some of their earlier records, and think they have some alright songs.

But it's a free country and to each their own! :O)
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I never judge a band by their fanbase, but there are some real fucking annoying fans out there...

1. Metallica - think they're old school and that they're on top of the world.
    2. Tool - think they're more intelligent/better than everyone
    3. My Chemical Romance - whiny bitches
    4. Nirvana - some of the diehard fans are cool, but the 14 year olds I see wearing Nirvana shirts and only knowing Smells LIke Teen Spirit annoy the fuck out of me
    5. Other casual fans of really popular bands are ignorant and annoying too.

That being said, I think Metallica has some good stuff, I love Tool, hate MCR, Nirvana made some classic albums, and some of the popular bands I like include Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dave Matthews Band, and Green Day.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • MathMath Posts: 71
    Ricky Martin fans turn me on... But I'm a perv.
    "Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends" - Woody ALLEN
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    Tool fans are the absolute worst by far, and many of them worship Keenan. This is going by my interaction with them on the Tool Army website. However, some are very cool people. But in general, they're extremely snobby and think Tool is the greatest thing since the wheel.
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers fans think that the band can do no wrong. And I disagree regarding Metallica's later albums being crap, sure they're different but Load and Reload are great albums. Chris Cornell fans annoy the hell out of me. I love the man and I love Carry On but sometimes you have to accept that people can screw up. He IS NOT perfect.
  • pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    Math wrote:
    Ricky Martin fans turn me on... But I'm a perv.

LOL!!!!!!!!
  • jsasojsaso Posts: 179
    hmm...slayer fans...terrible
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I'm only in it for the music. I don't give a crap about other fans. I can't stand it when people associate a certain band with a certain lifestyle or clique, though. I can listen to the Grateful Dead without being a pothead and I can listen to classic Metallica (sorry, but Load onwards is crap - it's just generic as hell), without dressing in black and being angry at the world. It seems like a lot of people think you have to fit in to a certain group to like certain bands, and I just find that wrong.