Old timers syndrome

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Is anyone sick of people saying that 'music isn't as good as it was?' I mean, sure there is a lot of crap. But there's a lot of great stuff too. It seems some people can't get out of the past - and seem to forget that 'legendary' bands such as Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd weren't the critical darlings back in the day like they are now. Heck, even Pearl Jam was dismissed as a second rate cash cow, but now I'd say they're fairly well respected in the music industry.

It's funny how people just remember the good things. People rave on about how the 60s was the golden age of music, but there was a lot of shite in that as well. There is good music coming out these days, and IMO there always will be.

Although I personally dislike them, I wouldn't be surprised if a band like My Chemical Romance would become a 'classic' band in about 10 years time. Sounds a bit ridclious now, because they have a lot of haters. But so did Pearl Jam.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    today's music may be good and if people like it, great.....but most of the music today just doesn't hit me....i read all these discussions about the latest bands and then i listen to them and...nothing....this is a cliche but it all sounds the same to me more or less.....maybe i'm getting old but i still think that if a band connects with me it shouldn't matter how old i am...:)
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    cutback wrote:
    today's music may be good and if people like it, great.....but most of the music today just doesn't hit me....i read all these discussions about the latest bands and then i listen to them and...nothing....this is a cliche but it all sounds the same to me more or less.....maybe i'm getting old but i still think that if a band connects with me it shouldn't matter how old i am...:)

Yeah exactly, age shouldn't really enter into it. I'd like to think I can appreciate music despite what generation it's from, and ignore if it's deemed 'good or bad' by the critics. It just irks me when a lot of people dismiss modern music by lumping it into the same catergory, and not really giving it a chance.

I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me but I think bands like Kings of Leon, The Killers and White Stripes are some of the most exciting bands and don't deserved to be brushed under the carpet in favour of the so called 'legends.' Not to say bands like The Beatles or Rolling Stones are bad, I love them. But some people elevate them to god-like status and basically say that no other bands will ever come close.

I need to 'stop' posting things in 'inverted commas.'
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    I'm tired of hearing people say that. There is so much amazing new music out there. I once read a study that found that most people stop being really open to new music when they are in their early 20s. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but it seems to be a pretty accurate assessment. For example, consider the age of people that say, that the nineties gave us so much better music than this decade has.

I think it's the nostalgia factor. People get attached to the music they were digging during those "coming of age"/early adulthood years.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    "Parents are always talking about the system, and the sixties and how cool it was. Well look at where the sixties got them hey! Come on people now, smile on your brother everybody get together, try and love one another right now!!! Now that was the sixties, this is a song from the nineties from
    my buddies the Descendents.....

...welcome to der weinerschnitzel, may i take your order please? yeah i want: two large cokes, two large fries chili-cheese dog, large doctor pepper super deluxe, with cheese and tomato you want bill sperm with that? no!"

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    muppet wrote:
    I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me but I think bands like Kings of Leon, The Killers and White Stripes are some of the most exciting bands and don't deserved to be brushed under the carpet in favour of the so called 'legends.' Not to say bands like The Beatles or Rolling Stones are bad, I love them. But some people elevate them to god-like status and basically say that no other bands will ever come close.

see there are 3 bands that get a lot of attention so i've listened to them and although i liked white elephant i'm not clamoring to listen to icky thump.....and kol and the killers i've heard various songs and nothing clicks with me.....and it sucks cuz i'd love to hear new music but i'm not gonna force myself to like it.....:o
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I'm about to turn 29. I was raised on classic rock and, in my opinion, rock was perfected by Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. I love early 90's rock, such as PJ, Soundgarden, RHCP, etc. I definitely feel their isn't as much great rock music being made now as there was in the late 60's/early70's and early 90's. Bands that have made a name for themselves since 2000 that I really like and think have a place among great bands of the past include the Mars Volta, the White Stripes, My Morning Jacket, the Black Keys, and maybe the Hold Steady. Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many other "new" bands that have really blown me away. There are a few other bands that are still more "underground" that I enjoy like Comets On Fire, but I don't think too many people have heard of them. I find most current indie rock boring, and most stuff on mainstream rock radio completely soulless.

I don't believe rock is dead or anything like that, I just think most of the good stuff is being played in a garage somewhere waiting to be discovered, but, because of how most record companies operate these days, these bands aren't as likely to be discovered as they might have been once.

I also want to be clear that I'm only talking about rock music in this post. I also listen to lots of blues, jazz, reggae, funk, and hip-hop. Of course, I don't think there's been much exciting new music in any of those genres recently, either.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I'm tired of hearing people say that. There is so much amazing new music out there. I once read a study that found that most people stop being really open to new music when they are in their early 20s. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but it seems to be a pretty accurate assessment. For example, consider the age of people that say, that the nineties gave us so much better music than this decade has.

I think it's the nostalgia factor. People get attached to the music they were digging during those "coming of age"/early adulthood years.

i think you're right. these people should dig up the charts from those years that were so awesome. for every beatles hit, there were 2 from the monkees and a dozen other crappy groups. things are no different now than then. you have to dig to find the good stuff and time will reveal it.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I just saw Metric and The White Stripes in the same week.

Music will be fine.

That's a SMALL SMALL SMALL example, but I hadn't heard any Metric, and they absoutley rocked the place. One of the top 10 shows I've ever seen. Everyone, do yourselves a favour and check these guys (and girl) out.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I think it's the nostalgia factor. People get attached to the music they were digging during those "coming of age"/early adulthood years.
    We have a winner!

Of course some people later dislike the same music they were listening to during this time period of life if they look back on that time with a negative perception. But yeah, this usually holds true.

The sixties and seventies remain popular because of the sheer size of the baby boomer generation. They're all grown up now and play that music to death. The same thing is starting to happen with nineties alternative.
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    Yeah, you'll always get this with older people. True artists are only concerned with the future of their medium, not with the present (which is really the past when you think about it). They create art (music, whatever) that speaks to the future, not the present. Older people just don't usually connect with the future as well as younger people can.

It takes effort and attention to keep in touch with the future and keep your mind open. Most people who say they're open-minded really aren't...at least not enough.

I think it's best to connect with something then let it go and find something new to connect with as soon as possible. Don't sit around listening to 90's grunge bands all day ;)
    Saturnal wrote:
    It takes effort and attention to keep in touch with the future and keep your mind open. Most people who say they're open-minded really aren't...at least not enough.

as i said earlier i would really like to like some of the new music today.......but it's yet to capture me......does that even make sense?......maybe one day it will....i hope....:o :)
    cutback wrote:
    as i said earlier i would really like to like some of the new music today.......but it's yet to capture me......does that even make sense?......maybe one day it will....i hope....:o :)
    Yea I understand that. I just don't think music captures you...I think YOU stumble onto something new in life...a feeling, an experience, whatever...once that happens, then your mind is open to accept new inspiration and you capture the music presented to you.

It's like if nothing significant has rattled you for a while (in a good or bad way), then it's unlikely you'll be inspired by something different in the artistic world...you'll keep going back to the same stuff over and over.
    Saturnal wrote:
    Yea I understand that. I just don't think music captures you...I think YOU stumble onto something new in life...a feeling, an experience, whatever...once that happens, then your mind is open to accept new inspiration and you capture the music presented to you.

It's like if nothing significant has rattled you for a while (in a good or bad way), then it's unlikely you'll be inspired by something different in the artistic world...you'll keep going back to the same stuff over and over.

yes and no......a couple years ago i discovered atl country or americana or whatever you call it......so i'm pretty open.......you're right though....perhaps an experience or event will help....it's happened before with me....:)
    cutback wrote:
    yes and no......a couple years ago i discovered atl country or americana or whatever you call it......so i'm pretty open.......you're right though....perhaps an experience or event will help....it's happened before with me....:)
    Cool. A couple years ago isn't that long either...you may be due soon so watch out!
    Saturnal wrote:
    Cool. A couple years ago isn't that long either...you may be due soon so watch out!

exactly....bring it on music.....:D
    Check out Metric, I saw them and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    i'm 41 and there are always new bands appearing that i like. and i am always looking for great new bands to listen to. there is certainly some good music from the past but i'm not one of those who thinks music died when the beatles split, syd barrent went doollally or bonzo died!
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    OK, peeps love the music they listened to in their rooting years, end of story, you all will too, for good reason.

Peeps stop listening to music when they get kids, cos there is so much cacophany and racket in their lives, peace and quiet becomes valuable.

That said, I'm 43 and I listen to new stuff regularly. I even buy shit I don't like and force myself to listen to it, cos I'm really slow to "get" new stuff. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't. I tried to like metalcore but I could not get it. The "goblin in the throat" singing is just shite. I prefer My Chemical Romance, sure it's over-produced and theatrical, but so was Meatloaf, and that stuff rocked. Entertaining and fun, and I can understand the fucking words.

Currently I have Arctic MOnleys new one in the car. It got good reviews. It's OK, a cross between punk and ska, like Madness a lot. Some funny lyrics, but I'm not sure it has any longevity. It's got another few spins to prove itself.
    I love a lot of old stuff, but I loathe the standard covers list with a passion, with a few exceptions like Sweet Home Alabama, cos that song cannot be destroyed with overplauying, it's just too good !!! BUT, that does not mean I won't listen to new stuff. I got into PJ when someone at work was slagging it, saying they just loved their old stuff, not this new PJ shite. I said, bring it in , I'll have a go, I don't want to listen to the same stuff forever.

Some stuff is timeless. I'll always listen to Zep and Floyd.
    As for White STripes, well they get plenty of admiration form everybody. I don't know a guitar player that does not like them. I need to get that White Elephant album though, thanx for the heads up cutback !!! LOL !!!!!!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Arctangent wrote:
    i'm 41 and there are always new bands appearing that i like. and i am always looking for great new bands to listen to. there is certainly some good music from the past but i'm not one of those who thinks music died when the beatles split, syd barrent went doollally or bonzo died!

Oh fuck no man, is Bonzo dead ?????????????
    Music is not a competetion.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    Oh fuck no man, is Bonzo dead ?????????????

'fraid so. that's why the dog doo dah band split!
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    muppet wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised if a band like My Chemical Romance would become a 'classic' band in about 10 years time. Sounds a bit ridclious now, because they have a lot of haters. But so did Pearl Jam.

don't want to nit-pick because i agreed with everything you just said but this is a little false. i actually will admit i haven't heard all of mcr's music but i do own their last album the black parade and i think it was pretty descent. nothing really special but okay. the reason however they will never become classic is because they aren't a very good band. yes they can create a descent album in the studio but have you ever heard these guys live? absolute garbage. singer can't sing, and the band can't hardly play.................anyway my opinion on this matter.............yeah it's really annoying how people act like there is no good music around, and that it was way better back in the day. when older people say this i think it's because this is the music they grew up on, and they either can't get into newer artists like they did when they were younger, or they just don't feel like trying to look for new music anymore. younger people make the statement because they weren't even around back in the 60's, 70's etc. and all they hear are the classics. the reason they think all the music was great back then is because it's only the great ones that have stood the test of time. this will most likely be the case of this generation......and bands that are great now, (that for the most part only real music lovers are getting to hear because most of them aren't promoted that well), will probably be the ones that we are still listening to in 30 years.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I only listen to Pearl Jam, and only on Tuesdays. Everything else sucks.

And keep those damn kids off my lawn!

- Old Timer
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    "don't want to nit-pick because i agreed with everything you just said but this is a little false. i actually will admit i haven't heard all of mcr's music but i do own their last album the black parade and i think it was pretty descent. nothing really special but okay. the reason however they will never become classic is because they aren't a very good band. yes they can create a descent album in the studio but have you ever heard these guys live? absolute garbage. singer can't sing, and the band can't hardly play................."

Ah right, well I've never seen them in live. I was just using them as an example because I think they're the biggest band around at the moment. But good point though.
    muppet wrote:
    "don't want to nit-pick because i agreed with everything you just said but this is a little false. i actually will admit i haven't heard all of mcr's music but i do own their last album the black parade and i think it was pretty descent. nothing really special but okay. the reason however they will never become classic is because they aren't a very good band. yes they can create a descent album in the studio but have you ever heard these guys live? absolute garbage. singer can't sing, and the band can't hardly play................."

Ah right, well I've never seen them in live. I was just using them as an example because I think they're the biggest band around at the moment. But good point though.

I'd say the biggest nonscreamo newish bands at my school are:
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Foo Fighters
    Green Day

And yes I'm aware all these bands have been around at least 10 years.

I know I keep raving about them, but I still think Metric is gonna be big in the next couple years at least here, every year in Ottawa they're playing to bigger and bigger crowds at the Bluesfest (1000 the first year, 2,500 last year, and 5,000 this year).