Hold Steady - Stay Positive

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I know there was a thread recentelly, but I can't find it...

The album is out there, I think. I like the album, some really good songs, but it hasn't topped Boys and Girls In America yet. But this is worth it just to listen to "Lord I'm Discouraged" with an amazing guitar solo.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LivingBubbaLivingBubba Posts: 135
    Any chance I could catch the link from you? I was sent one previously but the rapidshare had been taken down already.....
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    It's out there. I don't have the link, but just do a search on 4chan for it.

It's awesome too!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    been listening on repeat for the past few days....

the opener and Sequestered in Memphis are classic. I WENT THERE ON BUSINESS!

some people on the wilco board are saying how much they hate One For the Cutters....it's different, has a cool lyrical story....I dig it.

Navy Sheets is the Same Kooks of this record

the standout for me is Lord, I'm Discouraged - that HAS to be Mascis playing that solo at the end. Probably the cleanest guitar sound I've ever heard him record.

the rest of the album is as anthemic as ever. totally killer.

"magazines ain't daddy issues, I know you're pretty pissed, I hope you still let me kiss you"
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    GREAT ASS album. I agree with those dudes as "One for the Cutters" is my least favorite song. Everything else is top-notch stuff.

I even really like One for the Cutters lyrically, but I think it's lackluster musically. It doesn't have a memorable sound.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
    I wonder why "Giver Her All Your Aderall" didn't make the cut. That song was great live.

I've only given the album 4 listens so I'm not ready to comment quite yet.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    Can someone help me out with a link!!!!!!!
  • Evensolo05Evensolo05 Posts: 118
    Given this a lot of spins lately. Cant understand all the hate for "One For The Cutters". One of my fav's from this amazing album.
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Can't wait for this one to come out, my most anticipated album of this so far disappointing year, hopefully it lives up to the expectations a great album like Boys & Girls in America builds.
  • I wonder why "Giver Her All Your Aderall" didn't make the cut. That song was great live.

I've only given the album 4 listens so I'm not ready to comment quite yet.

They are including it as bonus track on the CD release on 7/15.

This album rules, i had to stop listening as to not play it out. Not listening until again until the CD comes out. that is a sign of a good album!
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • one of my favorite released of the year, i'll be picking it up tuesday
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
    i cant stop listening to it i think it album of the year so far, Lord, I'm Discouraged, magazines, sequestered in memphis and yeah sapphire are all outstanding tracks, the only song i dont really like is navy sheets
    It came out in CD form today with 3 bonus tracks. The 3 bonus songs are all on the same track on the album(12 minute long track), which I like because it draws a clear line between the standard album and the bonus tracks. Just wanted to point that out.

The album is pretty good so far, I've only listened one and a half times. More of the same from them, a lot of storytelling on top of over-the-top rock music. Sounds similar to Boys & Girls but with enough new wrinkles to keep things interesting.
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Good album, was listening to a few tracks from it @ work today. My co-worker was impressed... and they usually listen to rap and country :(
    Good album, was listening to a few tracks from it @ work today. My co-worker was impressed... and they usually listen to rap and country :(
    If you can get over the talking-as-singing vocals of Finn then they are really a hugely accessible band. Their musical style is straight classic rock and everybody likes to rock out. The biggest hurdle for people I've played their stuff for is the vocal style.
  • celebrationcelebration Posts: 318
    i paid over $15 for my copy(price fixing, 1st day of sale-today)

it better be good
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Bought it after work today and I'm loving it. Great album!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • I've been listening to this all night... Fucking great. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    This is turning out to be a really good album. It's just different enough from Boys & Girls to not sound stale. Finn's "singing" has definitely improved. A lot of really good songs on this album.
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    this is a great record..the band has done it again...2008 is a good year musicwise!
  • clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    i paid over $15 for my copy(price fixing, 1st day of sale-today)

it better be good

did you order it online? i pre-ordered a copy when i bought tickets to their show last night and it has not arrived yet. i am super pissed off. they guaranteed it would be here. i could have bought it from target cheaper and faster. i only did it because i thought i was buying it direct from the band, but it actually came from front gate tickets :(

and i had to miss the show last night because of work. the world is conspiring against my love of the hold steady!
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
    clark_kent wrote:
    did you order it online? i pre-ordered a copy when i bought tickets to their show last night and it has not arrived yet. i am super pissed off. they guaranteed it would be here. i could have bought it from target cheaper and faster. i only did it because i thought i was buying it direct from the band, but it actually came from front gate tickets :(

and i had to miss the show last night because of work. the world is conspiring against my love of the hold steady!
    That sucks. I'm always up for buying directly from artists, but I'm always skeptical about new releases. Some bands will ship them out before the release date and they may show up a few days early, but I'm always worried I won't get it on the release date which would suck.
  • clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    CM1847 wrote:
    That sucks. I'm always up for buying directly from artists, but I'm always skeptical about new releases. Some bands will ship them out before the release date and they may show up a few days early, but I'm always worried I won't get it on the release date which would suck.

i finally got it today. if it had come directly from the artist, i wouldn't have cared much. but it was from front gate ticketing company and i couldnt care less about my money going to them vs target or wherever. ah well, it's here and it's fucking excellent. i'm bummed about missing the show last night, but i'm sure i'll catch them again soon!
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    I'm liking the new cd. Love the piano/keys UP front in the mix. I think it will probably be better seeing the songs live. Not as good as Boys&Girls but it would be hard to top that cd.
  • Saw them last night, unbelievable show as always. The new songs sound great.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV