Against Me!

luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Is there anybody out there who knows them and appreciate them?
I saw them yesterday as opener for Dropkick Murphys and they were brilliant.
So today I'm listening to New Wave their new album and I must say that it's one of the best I've heard a long time from a "punk" band. great.
Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Big fan of their earlier stuff. The later stuff is good too but not as much to my taste. Reinventing Axl Rose is their best album for me. I saw them live last year and they were great but I'd love to have seen them a few years ago. They've mellowed a bit too much for my tastes :p

one of the best songs ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wkZGMktFCw

"and just like james, i'll be drinking irish tonight
    and the memory of his last work week will be gone forever
    evelyn i'm not coming home tonight
    if we're never together
    if I'm never back again
    well I swear to god that I'll love you forever
    evelyn i'm not coming home tonight"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I know I'm in the minority, but I hate their old stuff. I just can't get into that punk stuff.

"New Wave" however is absoutely amazing and I love it.
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Big fan of their earlier stuff. The later stuff is good too but not as much to my taste. Reinventing Axl Rose is their best album for me. I saw them live last year and they were great but I'd love to have seen them a few years ago. They've mellowed a bit too much for my tastes :p

one of the best songs ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wkZGMktFCw

"and just like james, i'll be drinking irish tonight
    and the memory of his last work week will be gone forever
    evelyn i'm not coming home tonight
    if we're never together
    if I'm never back again
    well I swear to god that I'll love you forever
    evelyn i'm not coming home tonight"

I read that they have several influences in Folk, Blues and country and New Wave has nothin of these. But now I understand why they wre the opener for the Murphys :D
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    muppet wrote:
    I know I'm in the minority, but I hate their old stuff. I just can't get into that punk stuff.

"New Wave" however is absoutely amazing and I love it.
    :eek:

well I am a massive punk fan so I can't get my head round that but I guess it's all a matter of taste :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Yeah, as I said I'm probably in the minority :p. It's just not my thing.
  • mikesbrimikesbri Posts: 965
    Im a newbie to Against Me, and I have to say the New Wave is an incredible album. First 7 songs are solid!!
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    have liked them for like 5 or 6 years but as the eternal cowboy is my favorite of theirs. off of new wave i like the ocean & americans abroad the most still
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep