Arctic monkeys

luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
edited September 2006 in Other Music
"What ever people say I am i'm not"
take it play it and enjoyyyyyyyyyyy it!!!!!!
They are really rocking. It's the best Rock band who came up the last years

"The only reason that you came
So what you scared for?
don't you always do the same
It's what you there for, don't you know "

And the fantastic "Fake tales from San Francisco". I've seen them on T.V. and they seem to have 17 years and I was happy 'cause they can bring out great music for the next 50 years............

"Have you been drinking, son
You don't look old enough to me
I'm sorry, officer
Is there a certain age you're supposed to be
Cause nobody told me"
Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• They're not bad.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Better than not bad. They're one of the bands that I frequently listen to; in other words, a day rarely goes by when I don't play something of theirs. Also, I like how they do business and I really hope they're around for a very long time.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • They are normal. I don't think they're great, like the "everyone" is saying.

Arcade Fire are much better.
    Hey I, ooooooohhh, I'm still ALIIIIIVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Arcade Fire are much better.

Fuck yeah, they are in a different league completley, I would say the AM are average at best compared to the Arcade Fire, also check out the danish band Mew fucking good stuff they have two albums out And the Glass Handed Kites and Frengers both of them are classic I'm pretty sure you'll like them if you like the AF.:)
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Hmm comparing the Arctic Monkeys to Arcane Fire is like Comparing Britney Spears to Kate Bush.

I think the Arctic Monkeys are very poor, and i'm from Sheffield!
  • I love 'em, but I don't think they'll stay around much
  • floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    I thought they were done already.
  • Saw them in Pukkelpop in Belgium this year, i think they are overrated. That's my opinion!!!!
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I think they are a brillant band. Love the way they right their lyrics. There new single "Leave before the light comes on" has an amazing cover of "Baby I'm Yours".Not such a buzz about a band since Oasis.
  • A few months back I saw a thread titled "Arctic Monkeys Overrated" or "Arctic Monkeys Suck". It seemed alot of people hated them because there was so much hype about them. The fact that so many people on this board disliked them is what inspired me to purchase tickets to their sold out show in Toronto. They fucking rocked. Straight up Punk Rock and I like it.

And comparing AM to AF is like comparing The Clash to The Culture Club! AM is punk rock AF is not. I like AF but it's not even rock and roll. It's more like the new New Wave.

q
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i listened to their cd not long ago. it wasnt bad. it wasnt brilliant either. they're a solid band, but im not sure i see the hype. kinda like the strokes... solid band with good tunes, but the hype surrounding them is a little overblown. they're not the second coming.

i am pretty curious about the new batch of britpop bands though. editors, bloc party, libertines, artic monkeys... there's some promising talent there. im kinda waiting to see who will last and who is going to burn out. it's the only downside of the britpop scene for me... they tend to rise fast and then implode. im more into longevity in my music... pearl jam, wilco, oasis, etc. as opposed to, say, the stone roses.
  • A few months back I saw a thread titled "Arctic Monkeys Overrated" or "Arctic Monkeys Suck". It seemed alot of people hated them because there was so much hype about them. The fact that so many people on this board disliked them is what inspired me to purchase tickets to their sold out show in Toronto. They fucking rocked. Straight up Punk Rock and I like it.

And comparing AM to AF is like comparing The Clash to The Culture Club! AM is punk rock AF is not. I like AF but it's not even rock and roll. It's more like the new New Wave.

q

Arctic Monkeys are about as punk as Britney Spears.
  • They produce interesting songs, and the words aren't quite what you've heard before. The band has a good sense of taking the piss out of dramatic build ups in a song, without ruining the more humane moments in the song. I'll tell you, if I could have written a song like those fellas, when I was their age, I'd have been happy. Not because they're "successful", but because they've shown a perceptiveness I wish I'd had. Fair play to them. Who cares how long they last as a band? Quality is opinion, and quantity/longevity is fact. I love the subjectivity of enjoying quality, as I hear it according to my own, cranky, criteria.
  • There has yet to be a band that's come close to the greatness that was The Libertines
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • There has yet to be a band that's come close to the greatness that was The Libertines

I thought they were a pile of shite, though!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    personally, i like the arctic monkeys. they are fun and fairly inoffensive. sometimes i don't like to think when i listen to music. the monkeys give me that. besides they said i looked good on the dance floor. :p

i saw the libertines a bit back and i thought something was missing. turns out it was that train wreck of a man - pete doherty.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    i listened to their cd not long ago. it wasnt bad. it wasnt brilliant either. they're a solid band, but im not sure i see the hype. kinda like the strokes... solid band with good tunes, but the hype surrounding them is a little overblown. they're not the second coming.

i am pretty curious about the new batch of britpop bands though. editors, bloc party, libertines, artic monkeys... there's some promising talent there. im kinda waiting to see who will last and who is going to burn out. it's the only downside of the britpop scene for me... they tend to rise fast and then implode. im more into longevity in my music... pearl jam, wilco, oasis, etc. as opposed to, say, the stone roses.
    Now this is closest to how I feel. I don't feel the greatness of Arctic Monkeys that everyone else does. They're okay. But then so are a lot of other bands, Brit pop and otherwise.

I'm also waiting for Bloc Party and Editors to follow through. I find them much more interesting and with long term potential than AM.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace

They'll be considered even better when Doherty dies, much like Nirvana

But back on topic, I fuckin love me some Monkeys. Saw them live in Auckland a month or so ago and they fuckin rocked the house. Their drummer is insane, Alex is a brilliant frontman and I cant wait for the next release. View From The Afternoon, Fake Tales, Still Take You Home, You Couldnt See For The Lights, When The Sun Goes Down, and Who the Fuck are all epic tracks.
    Its been 8 years, but I still believe...PJ in NZ 06!

"No matter how cold the winter, theres a springtime ahead'
  • I thought they were a pile of shite, though!

I also thought they were a pile of shite, prefer Arctic Monkeys any day.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Saw The Arctic Monkeys at leeds festival, they were totally and utterly blown away by the first 10 seconds of the band that followed them (and headlined).

Yup 10 seconds of Knights of Cydonia and i'd all but forgotten about the somewhat average Monkeys.

Muse for the win.
  • i dig on some arctic monkeys...fun to dance around to :) i really like the editors cd....and someone mentioned the new mew cd, which is fantastic! i'm sadly burnt out on bloc party...i feel as though i've been listening to it non-stop for 3 years now at work. over it!!!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Met them in Osaka a couple weeks ago

The lead singer was hitting on my girlfriend at the time (japanese girl) and she turned to me and said, "I didn't understand a single word he said"

The bass player's not a bad guy though, personally after listening to one album, they don't do it for me

http://www.senseandsenseibility.blogspot.com - I wrote about the incident in question, but you'll need a lot of patience the entry is around 4,300 words
  • iamsampj wrote:
    and someone mentioned the new mew cd, which is fantastic!

That was me, I cant decide which one I like more Frengers or And The Glass Handled Kites, they are both awesome!:)
  • Arctic Monkeys are highly over-rated
    die on a hilltop.. eyeing the crows,
    waiting for your lids to close..
    but you want to watch as they peck your flesh..
    Ironic that they go for the eyes first
  • That was me, I cant decide which one I like more Frengers or And The Glass Handled Kites, they are both awesome!:)

i've only listened to "and the glass handled kites"...i'll have to check out the other. i'll report back with which is better :D
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.