Dropkick Murphys ( Against Me! and Deadly Sins as opener)

luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
edited April 2008 in Other Music
So yesterday was the first time I saw the Dropkick Murphys. We had a great time at the Atelier in Luxemburg. Powerfull show and really funny. The venue was sold out and the crowd was as good as the band.

The First opener was deadly sins, they were not bad but the second opener was Against Me! and they were brilliant. I didn't know them but from the first notes on they got me. WOW! That's the first time I saw a opener making such a great show.
Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I am so excited! The Dropkick Murphys are playing at a college in upstate NY tomorrow night, and its within driving distance and I'm going! Anyone else like them?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    JaneNY wrote:
    I am so excited! The Dropkick Murphys are playing at a college in upstate NY tomorrow night, and its within driving distance and I'm going! Anyone else like them?

use earplugs ! :D
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I've seen the Murphys 6 or 7 times, and they always put on a great show. I would KILL to see Against Me! I am quite envious lol. I'm surprised that they would open for the Murphy's.... they are a WAY better band IMO.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Thanks to this thread I just checked Murphys out on youtube... awesome. :cool:

edit: check this out. Insanely good performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S2rN17G_00
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    Brez wrote:
    I've seen the Murphys 6 or 7 times, and they always put on a great show. I would KILL to see Against Me! I am quite envious lol. I'm surprised that they would open for the Murphy's.... they are a WAY better band IMO.

yeah Against Me! was boombastic... it was the first time i've seen an opener being better than the main act.
    The day after I had to download new wave and I'm still angry that I didnt buy a shirt :D
    Thanks to this thread I just checked em out on youtube... awesome. :cool:

who?
    Murphys or against me! ?
  • luxpjamer wrote:
    who?
    Murphys or against me! ?

Sorry... Murphys ;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    Sorry... Murphys ;)

That was really good - thanks for the link.

Luxpjmr I will bring earplugs - I always do!
  • JaneNY wrote:

They're awesome live. Saw them St. Patty Day weekend in Dorchester, MA.....they were fucking raw, loud, and full of energy....esp. for the hometown crowd.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    luxpjamer wrote:
    yeah Against Me! was boombastic... it was the first time i've seen an opener being better than the main act.
    The day after I had to download new wave and I'm still angry that I didnt buy a shirt :D
    For godssake download Reinventing Axl Rose now. 10 times better than New Wave but then, I love their earlier stuff. It's a lot different and might not be to your taste but most Against Me! fans prefer the older stuff.

This song is amazing. They probably played it when you saw them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wkZGMktFCw
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    For godssake download Reinventing Axl Rose now. 10 times better than New Wave but then, I love their earlier stuff. It's a lot different and might not be to your taste but most Against Me! fans prefer the older stuff.

This song is amazing. They probably played it when you saw them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wkZGMktFCw

Absolutely right. Their live CD is amazing too. New Wave is SERIOUSLY lacking compared to everything before it.

Same with the Murphys. I stopped listening after they released "Tessie". Their old stuff is just SO much better it bothers me that they went in the direction that they did. Very mainstream, not for them I feel. Oh well, their choice.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
    What a great show! Since it was so close to where we live, not only did I go, my 2 daughters (13 and 18) went, and a bunch of my 18 year old's guy friends including her boyfriend went, and it was a blast. There was quite a pit going and I'm a little old to be in the fray so I stay on the periphery of it, but my kids dove right in. Good music. I like this style of music (like Flogging Molly) but had never really listened to the Murphys. Definitely a fan now. (And my daughter's friends all gratefully accepted the extra earplugs I'd brought along!)
    JaneNY wrote:
    (And my daughter's friends all gratefully accepted the extra earplugs I'd brought along!)

lol