Covers of Pearl Jam

Androgynous MindAndrogynous Mind Posts: 520
edited November 2006 in Other Music
I was in the gym earlier today and I was wishing for Pearl Jam to play. Seconds later I heard the opening beat of Black, only it wasn't PJ. I soon relized that this Aaron Lewis and Staind did a cover of Black. I had never heard another mainstream band (obviously not like PJ) cover a PJ song before. That shows some real respect for PJ and what they have accomplished.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has heard any other covers of PJ by other bands (other than tribute bands).

Please elaborate
Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i have a bootleg of soundgarden tagging "alive" in a "slaves and bulldozers" jam.

i don't know man, i always thought covering any one of those four bands (nirvana, pearl jam, soundgarden, alice in chains) was a pretty lame thing - i can't think of any cool bands that have done cool covers of those guys.
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    seether does a decent version of immortality
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    OAR covers PJ frequently
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I've got a Tori Amos boot with a very good cover of Black.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Ben Harper covers Indifference live sometimes. Hasn't Dave Matthews covered Pearl Jam before? I'm not a huge Dave fan, but I'm pretty sure I heard about him doing some PJ songs live.
  • i have a bootleg of soundgarden tagging "alive" in a "slaves and bulldozers" jam.

i don't know man, i always thought covering any one of those four bands (nirvana, pearl jam, soundgarden, alice in chains) was a pretty lame thing - i can't think of any cool bands that have done cool covers of those guys.

There is no way that anyone could play Pj songs like PJ. Definately not any better. I just thought it showed a lot of respect.
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • robblerobble Posts: 63
    dave matthews covered superfreak, first time i heard it i cried with laughter, so unexpected
    Astoria 20-4-06, Dublin 23-8-06, London 18-06-07
    It's A Right Royal Cockney Barrel Of Monkeys
    All Monkfish Great And Small
  • There is no way that anyone could play Pj songs like PJ. Definately not any better. I just thought it showed a lot of respect.

no, i know dude. but it seems a little stupid for bands covering hit songs from like 5-10 years prior. it's cool when a band either digs up an unknown song (to show respect) or to play a hit from a long time ago.

it does show respect, but, i don't know, the bands "showing respect" aren't all that great. kinda like if george w bush told me i was an "awesome dude" i wouldn't feel all that great.
  • robble wrote:
    dave matthews covered superfreak, first time i heard it i cried with laughter, so unexpected

Lol, that's awesome. Wish I could've heard it.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."

I think it is cool if they are covered, I just think Black is a pretty lame choice.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • kinda like if george w bush told me i was an "awesome dude" i wouldn't feel all that great.

Hahahahahahha.:D
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • ya, OAR has covered:

black
    footsteps
    release

i can upload them if anyone wants them
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • actually ^^^^, here's a link for ya:

http://oarsa.org/features/songs.php?cat=covers&sort=

Just click on black, footsteps, and release and it will link you to a page to download them. I think OAR does the most respectable covers of PJ...especially on footsteps and release.
    Whats got the whole world faking?
  • I once saw an luxemburgish artist called claudine muno covering Jeremy, it wasn't as genius as the original one but I liked it...I was screaming hey that's pearl jam, it's a song from pearl jam and everybody was watching me.... that reminds me a day on a festival (bizzare in Weeze-Germany) the were playing Ten during the pause and I were singing along with some others....After 6 songs the band start playing and some spectators(including me ) were shouting"pearl jam,pearl jam,...." without success
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.