Soundgarden - Reading Festival

Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Not really a general thread on the band. This wouldn't go in the PJ Live Forum, so I just posted it here. I figured since this is one of the most active Seattle band forums, and PJ were close with SG, it would be a good place to ask.

Soundgarden played Reading back in '95, I've seen some pics, and I know there is an audio copy in circulation...but was this show professionally shot?

Nirvana's shows were both professionally recorded, PJ's 2006 show was obviously professionally recorded.

What about Soundgarden's set? By '95, they were huge, you'd think with such smash hits like "Black Hole Sun" and "Spoonman" on the airwaves, that the folks at Reading would film their set.

Did they?

It's not too easy finding Soundgarden shows, it's even harder finding DVD's, and it's even harder finding DVD's for ProShot shows.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    I have a friend who have this on DVD.
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    There's a DVD circulating, but it's not pro-shot
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    There's a DVD circulating, but it's not pro-shot
    I see you have plenty of shows.

Maybe you can send a link my way?
    Duder5k wrote:
    I see you have plenty of shows.

Maybe you can send a link my way?

I don't have the Reading DVD...

What link do you want?
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Wooo I was there!!!!

To be fair they were pretty bad, Cornell sounded pretty rough and acted like he didn't want to be there, and they played pretty sloppy. But still I can say I saw Soundgarden!!
    I don't have the Reading DVD...

What link do you want?
    Well it was pretty obvious I was referring to a link to a tracker or some place that would have such a show.
    Duder5k wrote:
    Well it was pretty obvious I was referring to a link to a tracker or some place that would have such a show.

not Reading, but lots of Soundgarden here:
    http://www.dimeadozen.org
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Regged months ago.

Guess I'm just gonna have to wait for someone to upload it out of their own leisure or something...

@ face pollution:

Could you describe the show more? Like did they play 4th Of July or Fresh Tendrils? Any other info?
  • I was not there, but i enjoy the bootleg i have of the show(aud. recording, would kill to get my hands on a sbd recording). Not the most inspired, but still all the power of SG. Setlist:searching with my good eye closed, let me drown, spoonman, my wave, drawing flies, ty cobb, fell on black days, mailman, head down, superunknown, rusty cage, waiting for the sun, black hole sun, christi(ONLY TIME EVER PERFORMED OR RECORDED), hands all over, 4th of july, kickstand, i want you(shes so heavy). Great setlist, good performance.
  • Duder5k wrote:
    Regged months ago.

Guess I'm just gonna have to wait for someone to upload it out of their own leisure or something...

@ face pollution:

Could you describe the show more? Like did they play 4th Of July or Fresh Tendrils? Any other info?

Bloody hell, you're talking 12 years ago when I just turned 13 - my memory aint that great!!! Actually I was going through loads of my old stuff and I found a clipping I kept from kerrang magazine about their performance, it really slagged them off. I Know I kept the clipping, it named some of the songs they played, I'll have a look....

*Update*

Here is what Kerrang had to say:

Soundgarden are a great band. 'Superunknown' is a fantastic record. Matt Cameron and Ben Shepherd are the official Greatest Rhythm section in Rock.

But none of these facts apply in connection with the band's set tonight. Here, we were left to reflect on how the terrifyingly intense beast that toured 'Badmotorfinger' into the ground could have become so boring. As the sun sets and the wind begins to chill, several things become apparent. The sound is atrocious. Chris Cornell's voice is worryingly ragged. Things must surely get better...

Only they don't. True they momentarily perk up when the reliably daft Shepherd drop-kicks his mike stand and pulls his serial killer facial expressions. But they're quickly propelled downwards again when 'Let Me Drown' is dispatched as a half-paced drone and 'Spoonman' collapses into a shambles. Gone are Cornell's mad lunges and guitarist Kim Thayil's bug-eyed fretboard shrieks, replaced by a more static, sombre approach. Fine for the elegant likes of 'Fell On Black Days', seemingly ill-suited to the primeval juggernaut that is 'Drawing Flies'. It is a mystery how something as mighty as 'Rusty Cage' can be tossed away in a thick soup of sub-Metal goo.

Cornell's agonised grimaces on the big screens are the mirror of those faces in the crowd who haven't wandered off or sat down. Soundgarden are infinitely better than this sad, sullen spectacle.

Most rocking moment: sadly the description doesn't apply.

Least rocking moment: could be found by sticking a pin anywhere on the set-list.

Verdict: not so much a 'Rusty Cage' as a hollow shell.

All I can remember really is that they weren't the most 'entertaining' band on the planet! They kind of came on, did their thing and went. Cornell stayed bolted to the spot for most of the show, and if my memory serves me correctly I don't think his voice was up to much. I think it was this memory that stuck with me before I saw Audioslave for the first time back in early 2003, and how shocked I was by the difference in his performance, it was like a completely different person.