local bands in philadelphia

dirtyfrankdahmerdirtyfrankdahmer Posts: 136
edited October 2006 in Other Music
who was/is your favorite band from the area?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• john coltrane
    bill haley
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • The Roots is my favorite band from the area. Also, Mr. Heavyfoot, a band from Northeast Philly, is really good.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    I'm partial to Octane.. those guys fuckin rock
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • oppie1 wrote:
    i have never been a big octane fan. there are definately more creative and more interesting bands in the area.
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    oppie1 wrote:
    ive seen them a bunch of times in west chester...they arent bad but i just dont see the big deal
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • yeah, i think octane sucks.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    yeah, i think octane sucks.

they're much better then those hack shit bands like Crystal Roxx (who were good until Phil and AJ left.. now they're a joke), Emily's Toybox, The Interns, Lima Bean Riot, Steamroller Picnic, .. all those bands suck dick...
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

• Dr. Dog and The Teeth. Both very good and unique in their own ways. Dr. Dog is actually opening up for The Raconteurs. You can find them on myspace.
    "Alcoholism is a disease. But it's, like, the only disease you can get yelled at for havin'. Damnit, Otto! You're an alcoholic! Damnit, Otto, you have LUPUS!"
    Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    damn, the only bands I can recall from Phil are The Hooters, Dead Milkmen and Poison!
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    oppie1 wrote:
    they're much better then those hack shit bands like Crystal Roxx (who were good until Phil and AJ left.. now they're a joke), Emily's Toybox, The Interns, Lima Bean Riot, Steamroller Picnic, .. all those bands suck dick...
    LOL crystal roxx...those guys in that band are like 50 arent they?

i like the love puppies but i havent seen them in years so not sure if they still have that girl as their lead singer
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    damn, the only bands I can recall from Phil are The Hooters, Dead Milkmen and Poison!
    dead milkmen are cool.
  • A friend of mine is friends with the Capitol Years, so she lent me a few of their albums. They're not my favorite band in the world or anything, but I like listening to them every now and then. They usually get a really nice groove going in their songs.
    Spectrum 4/28/03
    State College 5/3/03
    Camden 7/5/03
    Camden 7/6/03

makes much more sense
    to live in the present tense
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Poison isnt from the Philly area.. they're more out towards York and Harrisburg

Bloodhound Gang
    God Lives Underwater
    CKY

are a few more local Philly bands who are good
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

thatgirl wrote:
    LOL crystal roxx...those guys in that band are like 50 arent they?

i like the love puppies but i havent seen them in years so not sure if they still have that girl as their lead singer

Anthony is still a great fucking drummer to watch.. Richie is a douchebag, and they got 2 new tools playing Bass and Guitar...
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    CKY, Backwoods Payback, Dysrhythmia, Pilot Round The Sun, Starkweather, the Hooters.
  • A friend of mine is friends with the Capitol Years, so she lent me a few of their albums.
    who's alblums?
  • lots of love for the hooters. kind of strange of you ask me.
  • Jerzdevil wrote:
    Also, Mr. Heavyfoot, a band from Northeast Philly, is really good.
    have to check them out!
  • another band to check out is a band called glare.
  • I think Espers and Bardo Pond are from there. They're very different, but both quite good.
  • Clifwith1f wrote:
    I think Espers and Bardo Pond are from there. They're very different, but both quite good.
    have to check them out
  • any philly (or national) band that had Jason Kourkonis as it's drummer would be one of my faves. the man rocks
  • How can you guys forget to mention Burning Brides. Both of their albums rock so hard its not even funny, plus the girl bassist is hot.
  • clayton12 wrote:
    How can you guys forget to mention Burning Brides. Both of their albums rock so hard its not even funny, plus the girl bassist is hot.
    +1
  • clayton12 wrote:
    How can you guys forget to mention Burning Brides. Both of their albums rock so hard its not even funny, plus the girl bassist is hot.

The Burning Brides are great! Their first drummer, Mike was a drummer in our band 5 years back or so. Jason is an amazing drummer, too.

Huffamoose was a great band. They melted down on their national tour, got back up and did a second CD that was great, then they melted down again. :(

The Roots are amazing. They moved out of town, now.

Stargazer Lily is great, too. they have a fun live show. They have another one of our ex drummers., Scooter. (Also the guy who books the Grape Street Pub.

If you want to quiet it down a bit, and see two of the great jazz guitarists in the world, they live right in Philly and you can see them in small clubs:
    Jimmy Bruno
    and Pat Martino.

The Philadelphia Orchestra is a pretty good band, too! :cool: None of their drummers ever played with us, though.

Then there was the best band ever in the history of the world:
    Life on Mars!!! :D
    We melted down right when Huffamoose did, too, but soon to rise again!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Next Sat night at the Khyber....be there.
  • Black Landlord (from Philly) is about to explode. Trust me with this one.
    They are comprised of memebers of too many Phily bands to list.

Next Sat night at the Khyber....be there.
    go ahead and list the bands. what is there.. 4 or 5 members?