Chris Cornell Goes Hip-hop????

LukinTimerLukinTimer Posts: 538
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Not sure if anyone has posted anything about this... but I thought the article below was interesting. Love Cornell, but I'm not sure about this particular collaboration. Hoping it's great.

Timbaland Calls Collaboration with Chris Cornell His 'Best Work'
Originally posted Thursday March 27, 2008 11:15 AM EDT

In-demand hip-hop producer Timbaland is making a rock and roll crossover. On Ryan Seacrest's "On Air" radio show Thursday, it was announced that he is producing Chris Cornell's third solo album.

"This is the best work I've done in my career," Timbaland told Seacrest. And Cornell – a former member of Audioslave and, most famously, Soundgarden – was equally enthusiastic about the collaboration. Said Cornell: "This is the most excited I've been about an album in years. The music is natural, not self-conscious ... open."

Predicting Cornell will be the "first rock star in the club", Timbaland says he's currently mixing the album, and hopes to release it within a month. No title or released date has been confirmed.

In February, guests at PEOPLE's pre-Grammy party at the Avalon in Los Angeles got an early taste of Cornell's new music – as the rocker performed a song at the bash, which featured Timbaland and a fleet of his former collaborators including Missy Elliott. Timbaland has also famously worked with Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado on their recent projects.
"Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    LukinTimer wrote:
    Said Cornell: "This is the most excited I've been about an album in years. The music is natural, not self-conscious ... open."

Predicting Cornell will be the "first rock star in the club", Timbaland says he's currently mixing the album,
    May I say that these 2 sentences floor and frighten me at the same time?

I don't know about Cornell being the first rock star in the club (The Clash's beats were club hopping back in the 80's quite nicely) but I'm looking forward to the sound. Bring. It. On.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • New Cornell - I'm fucking pumped. A quick release - I'm fucking pumped. Timbaland is the best at what he does. I think this will be good. I don't think it will sound like Nelly Furtado or Justin Timberlake, but if Timbaland says its his best work it will definately be good. Don't expect it to sound like BMF either, people. Can't wait for more news.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I think it will be a huge step up from the last one. He's toured for over a year as a solo artist now with the same band, as opposed to the hired hands who played on Carry On. And wow, out in a month?! That's fucking bad-ass!
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Looking forward to hearing this....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • PiCTuReKePTPiCTuReKePT Posts: 311
    i wouldn't be surprised.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I think its gonna be lame. I'll listen to it as soon as it's leaked and give it a chance, but something tells me this is going to be more ultra-accessible shit for the masses, just in a different style.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • RICK RUBIN STARTED AS A HIP HOP PRODUCER

Everyone else want to keep that in mind? kthnxbai.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    I'll keep an open mind. I thought the band CC toured with had some good players, esp Pete the guitar player.
  • butterfly1 wrote:
    I'll keep an open mind. I thought the band CC toured with had some good players, esp Pete the guitar player.

Yogi is from Buckcherry and The Wallflowers

Chris had an EXCELLENT backing band. None of them hired guns, actually all professional musicians from other big-ish bands.

Once i saw who they all were, and went and saw him, all doubt about him touring solo was gone.
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    Cornell has earned thr right to do whatever and work with whomever he wants. I'm interested to hear anything and everything he comes up with, so I'm looking forward to hearing it.

plus it cant be worse than Carry On.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Agreed.

Carry On is pretty bad.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    vomits...
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Pete is Peter Thorn, a hot shot studio guy and good people.
    Plus the James Bond theme You Know My Name has some awesome CC howling at the end...You know my naaaaammeee!!!
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I just can't seem to quit Cornell. Just listened to Carry On after not listening since right after it came out, and it is still a big pile of shit.

And yet, I would get his next album without thinking twice.

I guess I just love Euphoria Morning that much.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    mulva9 wrote:
    I just can't seem to quit Cornell.
    Oh my.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    mulva9 wrote:
    I just can't seem to quit Cornell. Just listened to Carry On after not listening since right after it came out, and it is still a big pile of shit.

And yet, I would get his next album without thinking twice.

I guess I just love Euphoria Morning that much.

It's weird cause if I listen to individual tracks from Carry On, I do like some of them, yet if I try to listen to it all the way through it's not so good. I just think it was way too many half baked ideas stuffed on to one album.
  • To be fair, didn't Pearl Jam do a song with Cypress Hill? But still, blech, I think I'll give it a miss. :)
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Could be interesting or could be absolute shit...I'm guessing it will be the latter. It'll probably be very top 40 type stuff, as most of Timbaland's stuff is. Chris Cornell is quickly becoming the new Phil Collins anyways.
  • It's weird cause if I listen to individual tracks from Carry On, I do like some of them, yet if I try to listen to it all the way through it's not so good. I just think it was way too many half baked ideas stuffed on to one album.

I find the same thing. In that the songs are much better individually. I think this album seems to have some potential. I think it may be better than Carry On and be a interesting album for his catolog.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Any word of a duet with JT? ....maybe they could do a video together was some neat dance routines!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    rick rubin has been able to do both hiphop and rock... no reason timbaland cant do the same... definitely the most talented producer out there right now... cant wait to see what hes able to do with chris... and to get a new CC album so soon after his last would be AMAZING! hopefully not as soft and cheesy
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Any word of a duet with JT? ....maybe they could do a video together was some neat dance routines!

I spit up all over my keyboard. :D
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Hawkshore wrote:
    my dick in a rusty cage?

this is gonna be junk, I can feel it.
    I'm still intrigued tho.
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    It's hard to think Cornell was the same guy who sang Beyond The Wheel, Soundgarden was just so badass, and now Cornell is calling up American Idol radio shows and having Timbaland produce his album. I'll give it a listen since I like Cornell, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's not all bad though, new album means a tour.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • I couldn't be more excited about this album. The fact that Timbaland will be producing in no way implies that CC has gone "hip-hop". I acn't wait to see what they produce together. I hope that new songs surface as he continues to tour Europe; though the interview implied a release soon.

...and Carry On is not that bad. About half the tracks are really solid songs that make an excellent addition to the CC catalog.

Three crooked hearts, swirls all around

You can't spell Gossard without G-O-D
  • I couldn't be more excited about this album. The fact that Timbaland will be producing in no way implies that CC has gone "hip-hop". I acn't wait to see what they produce together. I hope that new songs surface as he continues to tour Europe; though the interview implied a release soon.

...and Carry On is not that bad. About half the tracks are really solid songs that make an excellent addition to the CC catalog.

Thank You! I was getting pissed reading this thread then I read your post, the last one, thank god someone else knows whats up...Carry On is a solid album, all the hate is totally without merit.

And of COURSE Timbaland producing doesnt mean Cornell is going hip hop...cmon thats silly people.
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    RICK RUBIN STARTED AS A HIP HOP PRODUCER

Everyone else want to keep that in mind? kthnxbai.

You read my mind.
    "It's all happening"
  • ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    Hawkshore wrote:

ha :D
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Them-Bones wrote:
    It's hard to think Cornell was the same guy who sang Beyond The Wheel, Soundgarden was just so badass, and now Cornell is calling up American Idol radio shows and having Timbaland produce his album. I'll give it a listen since I like Cornell, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's not all bad though, new album means a tour.

Beyond the Wheel sucks, I have no idea why people sight this as an example of CC's greatness. I would much rather listen to a mediocre song from Revelations than that stupid cheesy metal dreck.