Coheed and Cambria

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I was reading about these guys and the sci-fi story that runs through their albums, and I was really interested.
Which album do I start with ?
Do I need to listen to them allin series, or can I just drop i anywhere?
Is there a "best" album ?
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My personal fave is still In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3

But they're all good, in my opinion...
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • I wouldn't get into them I if were you. Their lead singer looks like a gorilla and sounds like a little girl.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I wouldn't get into them I if were you. Their lead singer looks like a gorilla and sounds like a little girl.

ditto
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I wouldn't get into them I if were you. Their lead singer looks like a gorilla and sounds like a little girl.

Well, that's two reasons to ignore completely.
    Let's say that when a critic like yourself disses something, I'm immediately interested.

Ook ook ook ook !!!!!
  • Well, that's two reasons to ignore completely.
    Let's say that when a critic like yourself disses something, I'm immediately interested.

Ook ook ook ook !!!!!
    He is right about the hair and the high voice...but the music is friggin' amazing.

The lyrics are pretty deep too.
    He is right about the hair and the high voice...but the music is friggin' amazing.

The lyrics are pretty deep too.

Yo, see it's the music I'm interested in.
    RObert PLant had a bunch of hair and a high voice, and Bonzo definitely had a gorilla vibe going on.

TBH, I really couldn't give a flyer what they look like.
    GIve me a hint, is the music anything like Opeth for example ??
    Some of these bands get a lot of hype, but my only experience of Killswitch Engage was a cold shower.
  • Yo, see it's the music I'm interested in.
    RObert PLant had a bunch of hair and a high voice, and Bonzo definitely had a gorilla vibe going on.

TBH, I really couldn't give a flyer what they look like.
    GIve me a hint, is the music anything like Opeth for example ??
    Some of these bands get a lot of hype, but my only experience of Killswitch Engage was a cold shower.
    I don't know Opeth too well...

It's pretty unique...I don't really know what to compare it too. The singer sounds like the singer from Rush, and the music is kind of a Heavy Metal/Alt. Rock/Emo mixture...

Hope that helps...
  • eoboeobo Posts: 102
    i remember hearing their song "welcome home" and being like "holy crap that's awesome!" until the guy started singing. it ruins it for me and i honestly just can't get into them. plus, the music is never as good as it was in that glorious intro. ye0w!
    heh, keep her lit.

Dublin, 23/08/2006 = Lifechanging! X D

Katowice, 13/06/2007 = Phenomenal = )

London, 18/06/2007 = Pretty darn sweet = )

London Poster Wanted, PM if you have one for sale = )
    I don't know Opeth too well...

It's pretty unique...I don't really know what to compare it too. The singer sounds like the singer from Rush, and the music is kind of a Heavy Metal/Alt. Rock/Emo mixture...

Hope that helps...

Thanks, I figured it would be like that. I like that style a lot.
    I'll try and have a listen somewhere before I drop $30 on a CD. I've had a few dud buys over the last year, and I'm not keen on another.
  • Thanks, I figured it would be like that. I like that style a lot.
    I'll try and have a listen somewhere before I drop $30 on a CD. I've had a few dud buys over the last year, and I'm not keen on another.

Cool...let me know what you think of them where you hear them...I am interested in your reaction...
  • coheed are a pretty good band , they get alot of shit from this board tho.

i love their first two albums :

Second Stage Turbine Blade
    In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth

their last two- Good Apollo Im Burning Star and No World For Tommorrow are ok but not as goo, it seems like they have lost their touch

my favorite songs are the Crowing, Time Consumer, Delirium Trigger, 2113, and Three Evils
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I was reading about these guys and the sci-fi story that runs through their albums, and I was really interested.
    Which album do I start with ?
    Do I need to listen to them allin series, or can I just drop i anywhere?
    Is there a "best" album ?

I would recommend listening to some of their stuff on youtube first. I read something, possibly the same article as you, the whole story thing sounded interesting so I looked them up. I wasn't impressed, it just sounded like a lot of the typical pop/punk stuff that is played on rock radio these days. granted, I only listened to like 3 songs, but it wasn't for me. I think I'm getting too old for new bands I suppose.

ps. you mentioned something about Opeth, which I have a little familiarity with. no, they are nothing at all like Opeth. complete polar opposites, in fact.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I would recommend listening to some of their stuff on youtube first. I read something, possibly the same article as you, the whole story thing sounded interesting so I looked them up. I wasn't impressed, it just sounded like a lot of the typical pop/punk stuff that is played on rock radio these days. granted, I only listened to like 3 songs, but it wasn't for me. I think I'm getting too old for new bands I suppose.

ps. you mentioned something about Opeth, which I have a little familiarity with. no, they are nothing at all like Opeth. complete polar opposites, in fact.

OK, thanks, I didn't think of youtube. I have fast internet here at work where I spend most of my net time, but no speakers. I would nevere get any shit done if I had speakers.
    Never too old for new bands, or I'll wind up stuck in a time warp somewhere like dudes you see dressed intheir 70's denims with a Led Zep T-shirt on.
    I am a little wary of stuff not matching the hype. There have been a few bands here gegttin rave reviews, but when I see their stuff on MTV, I've been far from impressed. Gotta keep looking though.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    OK, thanks, I didn't think of youtube. I have fast internet here at work where I spend most of my net time, but no speakers. I would nevere get any shit done if I had speakers.
    Never too old for new bands, or I'll wind up stuck in a time warp somewhere like dudes you see dressed intheir 70's denims with a Led Zep T-shirt on.
    I am a little wary of stuff not matching the hype. There have been a few bands here gegttin rave reviews, but when I see their stuff on MTV, I've been far from impressed. Gotta keep looking though.

after I read your thread here, I went back to youtube and listened to 2 more songs of theirs. to give them credit, the 2 I listened to this time through was a little heavier and less 'poppy' than the 3 songs I had listened to previously, but still not my cup of tea. when I think of 'progressive', I think of stuff like Rush, or Dream Theater. or maybe even Tool or Opeth. but I guess, this is 'progressive' in a way since it progresses a story of some kind. but they don't remind me of any of those other bands.

but DEFINITELY don't make or break your decision on my opinion because I know there's a lot of people that love them.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    after I read your thread here, I went back to youtube and listened to 2 more songs of theirs. to give them credit, the 2 I listened to this time through was a little heavier and less 'poppy' than the 3 songs I had listened to previously, but still not my cup of tea. when I think of 'progressive', I think of stuff like Rush, or Dream Theater. or maybe even Tool or Opeth. but I guess, this is 'progressive' in a way since it progresses a story of some kind. but they don't remind me of any of those other bands.

but DEFINITELY don't make or break your decision on my opinion because I know there's a lot of people that love them.

Yes, prog means heavy and dense with lots of harmonies and a fair slash of complex musicianship to me. I guess that's what the Guitar World write-up was suggesting to me.
    Maybe I'll just buy some more Opeth, I only have Blackwater Park, but I really like it.
  • What kind of bands do they sound like? Cause I've never heard them but I want to buy their new album cause Taylor Hawkins (Who is my favourite musician ever) plays drums on it.
  • What kind of bands do they sound like? Cause I've never heard them but I want to buy their new album cause Taylor Hawkins (Who is my favourite musician ever) plays drums on it.
    They sound a lot like Coheed and Cambria... can't really be compared to other bands.

Just listen to these 3 songs from their latest album (No World For Tomorrow):
    No World For Tomorrow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEgDX4FsGvc
    Mother Superior - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWMXULTddX0
    The End Complete III - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90pvDAxietc
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009