Turntable lust.........

lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Anyone else wanna rush out and buy a turntable after hearing the start of Minutes to Midnight ??
Maybe I'm showing my aage, but that scratchy sound of needle on vinyl evokes such a strong nostalgia for my youth when everything was still on vinyl and cassettes. I was one of those who would buy the vinyl and make a tape for the car, it was on there as well.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, happy memories !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Music is not a competetion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    actually i do want to buy a turntable. but it's only cause i am hanging to play nebraska. ive not heard it since the early 90s(which was the last time i had a turntable) and i refuse to buy the CD.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Anyone else wanna rush out and buy a turntable after hearing the start of Minutes to Midnight ??
    Maybe I'm showing my aage, but that scratchy sound of needle on vinyl evokes such a strong nostalgia for my youth when everything was still on vinyl and cassettes. I was one of those who would buy the vinyl and make a tape for the car, it was on there as well.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, happy memories !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't hear many turntables on Minutes to Midnight. The turntable is great on 'Points of Authority' though. I actually have two turntables gathering dust in the garage. I used to DJ but it isn't my (papa'sgotabrandnew) bag anymore.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    what the hell is minutes to midnight?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • what the hell is minutes to midnight?

new Linkin Park
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • new Linkin Park

Fuck, that's enough to make me want to throw me fuckin' record player out the window.
  • Fuck, that's enough to make me want to throw me fuckin' record player out the window.

Awesome. LOL.
  • Everything I listen to sounds better on the black circle.

Just got a jap pressing of Alice & Chains S/T, sounds awesome, my wife has the CD but never was that compelled to listen.

I don't know how to explain it but if ain't on vinyl I'll very rarely listen to it.

Floyd in particular sound much better on Vinyl, Jap pressing of Meddle heaven
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Fuck, that's enough to make me want to throw me fuckin' record player out the window.

Thats what I am thinking.........Linkin Park is appalling no matter what format they are on
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Thats what I am thinking.........Linkin Park is appalling no matter what format they are on

how amusing to me that somemone who loves a band as vilified as oasis finds it necessary to vilify another band that polarises people in the same way. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    The albun "MInutes to Midnight" definitely opens to the sound of a gently rotatin black circle, not sure what the song is called, and I'm too lazy to look.

I had so much stuff on vinuyl, and it was all trashed by a psycho girlfriend.Fucking bitch !!!!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
    The albun "MInutes to Midnight" definitely opens to the sound of a gently rotatin black circle, not sure what the song is called, and I'm too lazy to look.

I had so much stuff on vinuyl, and it was all trashed by a psycho girlfriend.Fucking bitch !!!!!!!

indeed wake up does start with scratchy vinyl, not to be confused with scratching. which i think is where people misunderstood you luce.

and please tell me it's not just me that loves the start of given up with handclaps, jangling keys and fuckin' rocking guitar. and loving the bassline as well. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I had the best night a few months ago at my cousin's house after a family reunion just going through their awesome vinyl collection and listening to it on the "record player". :)

So much great old stuff to listen to and such a trip down memory lane. Dragged me right back into the 70s! It was brilliant! :)

There is so much more ambiance with records. I even love the little scratching and jumping noises. The joy of blowing the fluff of the needle, wiping the record and inspecting it for dust before you put it on the turntable and the accuracy required to find the track you want and gently put the needle down on it. Having to wipe the record and return it to it's plastic dust cover before returning it to the album cover. All the little rituals involved with records and tapes......aaah I miss that stuff. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    I had the best night a few months ago at my cousin's house after a family reunion just going through their awesome vinyl collection and listening to it on the "record player". :)

So much great old stuff to listen to and such a trip down memory lane. Dragged me right back into the 70s! It was brilliant! :)

There is so much more ambiance with records. I even love the little scratching and jumping noises. The joy of blowing the fluff of the needle, wiping the record and inspecting it for dust before you put it on the turntable and the accuracy required to find the track you want and gently put the needle down on it. Having to wipe the record and return it to it's plastic dust cover before returning it to the album cover. All the little rituals involved with records and tapes......aaah I miss that stuff. :)

Exactly the interacting element has died with CD & downloading, you have to really make an investment in listening to vinyl.

The payoff is the sound and embracing the sleeve, nothing like looking at the artwork and appreciating the detail with something like Darkside & Wish.

To truly appreciate Storm Thorgeson's brilliance it's gotta be vinyl, CD will never compete with that.
    Exactly the interacting element has died with CD & downloading, you have to really make an investment in listening to vinyl.

The payoff is the sound and embracing the sleeve, nothing like looking at the artwork and appreciating the detail with something like Darkside & Wish.

To truly appreciate Storm Thorgeson's brilliance it's gotta be vinyl, CD will never compete with that.

plus you can see the music. black truly is beautiful. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446

Oh I love pouring over the covering art. And reading everything and finding that little lyrics sheet inside so you could sing along if you wanted. And just lying back on the floor surrounded by records and enjoying the tunes.
    It's so much more interactive. I never do that anymore. It's not necessary with a cd. You just put it in and walk away. Used to be that sitting and listening to records you could spend a whole day immersed in the music, now not so much.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift