anyone else thinking Nevermind is Nirvana's weakest album?

marker_in_the_sandmarker_in_the_sand Posts: 272
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Well I do, everybody's always saying it is their best. I like In Utero most! Then Incesticide, then Bleach.
I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I like In Utero most!.

Me too. Not a fan of Bleach though.

Unplugged is their most emotional
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Me too. Not a fan of Bleach though.

Unplugged is their most emotional

yeah I didn't included live albums, If that was the case, I'd say Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah :cool:
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    i liked nerermind before (when I was a teen, in the mid 90s). I recently tried to lsiten to this album and I didn't enjoy it. In Utero and incesticide are good albums. darker.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    In Utero is by far my fav, but i do enjoy the second half of Nevermind alot, starting with Terrotorial Pissings :)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • I think Nevermind has probably aged the most... Bleach is my fav... Incesticide has to be one of the best flowing compilation albums ever, and IN Utreo pushed the genre quite a lot...
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i think Nevermind is the weakest 'produced'.. if it was produced in the same vein as "In Utero" then it would sound fucking brilliant... but it sounds so clinical and over-produced in comparison to the others... the others sound raw... but Nevermind's actual songs are brilliant.. if you hear them live on the dvd's or live albums then they sound truer to the bands vision methinks.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    dunkman wrote:
    i think Nevermind is the weakest 'produced'.. if it was produced in the same vein as "In Utero" then it would sound fucking brilliant... but it sounds so clinical and over-produced in comparison to the others... the others sound raw... but Nevermind's actual songs are brilliant.. if you hear them live on the dvd's or live albums then they sound truer to the bands vision methinks.
    that's not false. Nevermind is too clean
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Depends what you think the Nirvana "vision" was. I see it in two distinct units Bleach/Incesticide and Nevermind/In Utreo. I prefer bleach/incesticide, but obviously I prefer them because of what Nevermind/In utero did to the music climate today. If it wasn't for Nevermind/In utero then bleach/incesticde would just be some damn fine albums by some independent band that fell by the wayside.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    i'm going to pretend very hard that i didn't see your thread
  • genie wrote:
    i'm going to pretend very hard that i didn't see your thread

For what reason? Let's have some decent debate!
    Depends what you think the Nirvana "vision" was.

ok vision was a poor word choice there... i mean Nevermind was not really the sound they band had in mind (as Kurt acknowledged retrospectively)

i meant 'vision' in the sound sense rather than globally selling sense... i think Geffen pressure on them meant they acquiesced a little on the 'sound' they were truly after... and they tried to regain that sound with In Utero.. which sounds like Bleach in terms of its muddy rawness.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I think the difference between Nevermind and In Utero is in some instances due to Dave Grohls influence. He was essentially just playing the durm parts of CHad Channing as far as I understand for the Nevermind sessions. In Utero has much more Bonhamesque drum sound.
    I think the difference between Nevermind and In Utero is in some instances due to Dave Grohls influence. He was essentially just playing the durm parts of CHad Channing as far as I understand for the Nevermind sessions. In Utero has much more Bonhamesque drum sound.

true... also put on In Utero loud.. not just loud but LOUD and you'll hear hisses and overdrives and muddy string twangs... now put on Nevermind at same volume and it just sounds less visceral... it sounds like Mr Sheen produced it ;)

every cymbal comes through.. its just far too trebley.. although when i heard it first time i loved it but then i went back to Bleach and thought.. "if only NM was filthier in its overall sound"
  • wikipedia wrote:
    Cobain would later criticize Vig for the album's slickness, although this might be due to Andy Wallace's mixing of the album. {Berkenstadt, J. (1998). Nevermind Nirvana at pg. 96. New York: Schirmer Books. ISBN 0-02-864775-0} Cobain said that "Butch Vig...recorded the album perfectly," in a 1993 MTV interview.

I don't have any problem with Butch Vig's work on Gish or siamses dream... maybe Nevermind is due a remix. I'm sure Courtney could have it in the shops for Xmas... oh wait, we've already got the Unplugged DVD... better use this for next Xmas...
  • Jack endino did smell the magic by L7(An album I like) in 1990, then Butch Vig did their followup Bricks are Heavy(An album I don't know) in 92.... a comparison could raise a few answers..
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    No.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Good god no! Nevermind is their best. In Utero is a close second. Bleach only has about 3 good songs. Same goes for Incesticide.
    I have gone off them in recent years, but this has always been my position on Nirvana.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    In Utero is without a doubt my favourite, but i wouldn't say nevermind is the weakest. for me, it is definitely a stronger record than both bleach & incesticide. They don't even come close.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • If by weakest you mean second best, absolutely!

Here's a better question: What's the weakest track on Nevermind?
    (please don't all say Stay Away or I'll rephrase it to "second weakest track" ;))
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    danny72688 wrote:
    If by weakest you mean second best, absolutely!

(please don't all say Stay Away or I'll rephrase it to "second weakest track" ;))
    teen spirit is the only one i skip so by that logic, TEEN SPIRIT :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    In Utero wasn't produced at all....it was recorded and mixed. and there were different recording tricks that were used like mic placement, etc. but as far as actual production, there was none, it came out the way it was recorded.

now that's fine and dandy. but I think it's safe to say that if Nevermind had been released that way, most of us never would've heard of Nirvana because they never would've got played on the radio or Mtv in those days.

they are 2 albums that stand apart, but I like them both. I like Nevermind better because I think the songs as a whole are better. the high spots on In Utero are just as good as the high spots on Nevermind, but there is more filler on In Utero. I don't mind the production of Nevermind or the anti-production of In Utero. I think they both work just fine.

as for Bleach, there's some good songs, but it's a shitty production. there was the same kind of "raw" vibe on a lot of Dinosaur Jr's early albums, but it worked a lot better for Dinosaur Jr. for Bleach, it just sounds to me like a band that's never been in a studio and a producer that isn't adept at working the equipment.

as for Incesticide, geez it's a freaking b-side/rarities compilation. I take it as a joke that people would say that's a better "album" than the album that actually propelled them into the mainstream. that's like saying "Ten pales in comparison to the 1994-1997 Christmas Singles"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    not weakest. just most shiny.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    It's not weak, it has it's moments to shine, but the hype surrounding it actually got me bored of it). I listened to it way too much growing up when it was popular.

Bleach is my favorite, almost like a punk record or very punk influenced (being the fact Kurt attended a Melvins show, that started his fuel for rock and roll). I love the raw crunchy riffs of such simple music arrangements, but songs like school and Negative creep still get me dancing around my room like a crazy ass mofo.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    danny72688 wrote:
    If by weakest you mean second best, absolutely!

Stay Away is one of the best tracks.

I'd say On A Plain, but that's just me. I mean... it's good, but you could probably delete it and have it not be missed... It's too bad they never recorded Sappy to their satisfaction.
  • Well I do, everybody's always saying it is their best. I like In Utero most! Then Incesticide, then Bleach.

Anyone else think you are a fucking tard?

ME!!!!
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    no way. bleach is the weakest by a country mile. in utero is their best, then nevermind just a shade above incesticide. nevermind is a classic for a reason. not a single weak track on there.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i don't know, i never think about Nirvana
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    Anyone else think you are a fucking tard?

ME!!!!

calm down oh internet hero... its his fucking opinion..

why do people need to do this? fucking kids :rolleyes:
  • dunkman wrote:
    calm down oh internet hero... its his fucking opinion..

why do people need to do this? fucking kids :rolleyes:

Fuckin Scotty :)
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Although I dont really listen to it much anymore, I think its crazy to say that it is their weakest album. Every single song on it is quality, not even an average song in my opinion. Bleach is probably their weakest album, that being said, Bleach is still better than the best by most other bands out there.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson