Soundgarden

marker_in_the_sandmarker_in_the_sand Posts: 272
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I posted a thread here a while ago about Soundgarden. I wrote I only owned Superunkown yet. Well I can happily tell you that I also own Down On The Upside and Badmotorfinger now. And especially Badmotorfinger blew me away. Tracks like Mind Riot, Jesus Christ Pose, Outshined, Slaves And Bulldozers and even Drawing Flies are totally amazing. I also discovered Down On The Upside is totally different than Badmotorfinger but still amazing. I love songs like Dusty, Blow Up The Outside World, Burden In My Hand and Boot Camp, but I personally hate Applebite. Soundgarden also became my second favourite band after Pearl Jam.

Now I'm going off to buy both Louder Than Love and Ultramega OK too.
Are they as great as Superunknown, Badmotorfinger and Down On The Upside?
I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    for me its all about badmotorfinger. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Great albums. Love the Soundgarden... I'm going through a huge Superunknown phase right now. Like Suicide kicks my ass every time I hear it.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I posted a thread here a while ago about Soundgarden. I wrote I only owned Superunkown yet. Well I can happily tell you that I also own Down On The Upside and Badmotorfinger now. And especially Badmotorfinger blew me away. Tracks like Mind Riot, Jesus Christ Pose, Outshined, Slaves And Bulldozers and even Drawing Flies are totally amazing. I also discovered Down On The Upside is totally different than Badmotorfinger but still amazing. I love songs like Dusty, Blow Up The Outside World, Burden In My Hand and Boot Camp, but I personally hate Applebite. Soundgarden also became my second favourite band after Pearl Jam.

Badmoterfinger is my favorite. Louder THen Love is very good but i put it below badmoterfinger and superunknown.

I am glad i own Ultramega Ok because it has Far Beyond the Wheel (one of my fav soundgarden songs EVER) and a couple other very good songs but i found the overall album to be weak.

After you digest those don't forget to find the Screaminglife/fopp album/ep combo. It is like Ultramega ok and has some good songs, but if you are a fan you'll want to hear them.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • nickcat0nickcat0 Posts: 75
    I'm glad you've discovered the joys of Soundgarden , marker . Along with PJ , they are the class of the Seattle sound era .
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    To me, I thought Soundgarden only got great when they released Badmotorfinger. They're previous records have some good songs but overall I think they're way too messy and 'sludgey' if you know what I mean.

I thought they peaked at Superunknown but DOTU is still a great record.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    for there "unknown" albums, i think Ultramega OK is awesome - BEYOND THE WHEEL IS ON IT! Louder than Love is real good but IMO Ultramega OK > Louder than Love
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    kinda off topic here, but could they headline Lollapalooza 2008? I think they are all still alive, do you think it could happen?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    thunderDAN wrote:
    kinda off topic here, but could they headline Lollapalooza 2008? I think they are all still alive, do you think it could happen?
    I would hate for pearl jam to loose matt cameron.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    intodeep wrote:

I'm not saying reunite forever, I'm saying like a one show only type deal.
  • GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    for me its all about badmotorfinger. :)

Amen to that!
  • I personally think Down on the Upside is the band's weakest album. I prefer both Louder than Love and Ultramega OK over it. I have a special place in my heart for Louder than Love.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I love Badmotorfinger now but Superunknown was my fav for a really long time. All the albums are great in their own way. They are all so different. Each album almost sounds like a different band.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    In my opinion Ultramega OK and Louder than Love are good albums, but don't compare to Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, and Down on the Upside. There are some good songs on U-OK and LTL, but not as great top to bottom.
  • nickcat0nickcat0 Posts: 75
    intodeep wrote:

Well he's been in the band for 10 years , if they're going to maintain their Spinal Tap credibility then then it's time for a new one .......

Spontaneous combustion anyone ?

LOL.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • muppet wrote:
    To me, I thought Soundgarden only got great when they released Badmotorfinger. They're previous records have some good songs but overall I think they're way too messy and 'sludgey' if you know what I mean.

I thought they peaked at Superunknown but DOTU is still a great record.
    I agree completely with you..

I'm a big superunknown fan personally..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • get all of em. they're all wonderful

I can never pick a favourite, same as I can't pick a fave pj album. It would be like choosing between children.
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Louder Than Love is great. Especially Hands All Over and Ulgy Truth but the whole thing is good. Also if you like DOTU a lot you should buy Into The Upside, it doesn't have any extra songs on it but I laugh every time I hear it.
  • I totally forgot about Screaming Life/Fopp
    I'm going to put that one on my "to buy list" too
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • Ahh! Love the Soundgarden!

There's nothing better than the opening of Badmotorfinger!

Rusty Cage > Outshined > Slaves & Bulldozers > Jesus Christ Pose = GOOD TIMES!!

Then Holy Water as the icing on the cake near the end! :D
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    intodeep wrote:

Soundgarden could do a reunion tour with Pearl Jam, then Cameron could play with both bands. NOw that would be wild!!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Oxxys wrote:
    Soundgarden could do a reunion tour with Pearl Jam, then Cameron could play with both bands. NOw that would be wild!!

*drooooools with hope*
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Badmotorfinger is my fav album, and JCP is my fav track in general. Rusty Cage is second fav. I think tracks like Face Pollution, Drawing Flies, Holy Water, Room A Thousand Years Wide, and New Damage are fucking awesome and don't get enough attention sadly.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038

commit this site to memory and do NOT miss your chance to see this tour!!

http://www.chriscornell.org.uk/tour.htm
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Louder Than Love is an incredible album. Nearly up there with Badmotorfinger et all. Ultramega OK has some great tracks too but the production isn't too hot. Screaming Life/Fopp is worth a listen to hear a different side to the band.
  • People often suggest that BMF was the creative peak of the band but that is kind of difficult to sustain given that many of the tracks sound the same and it is straight up metal. If it had just been the first 4 tracks it would have been the greatest EP ever no doubt.
    Creatively DOTU has the most diversity and I think is the most interesting of all their albums. It also really makes you wonder where they would be today if they were still together.
  • I posted a thread here a while ago about Soundgarden. I wrote I only owned Superunkown yet. Well I can happily tell you that I also own Down On The Upside and Badmotorfinger now. And especially Badmotorfinger blew me away. Tracks like Mind Riot, Jesus Christ Pose, Outshined, Slaves And Bulldozers and even Drawing Flies are totally amazing. I also discovered Down On The Upside is totally different than Badmotorfinger but still amazing. I love songs like Dusty, Blow Up The Outside World, Burden In My Hand and Boot Camp, but I personally hate Applebite. Soundgarden also became my second favourite band after Pearl Jam.

Well in my opinion out of those i like Superunkown and Down on the Upside is so different because they were pretty much saying good bye.

If you liked all those you should like Louder than Love and Ultamego OK they are both good but Superunkown is better, in my opinion. :D
    "You are a furry thing....you me me you its all related"
  • I didn't like Louder Than Love. It just wasn't my kind of thing but I might like it if I listened to it now.

Down On the Upside is a brilliant album.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I personally think Down on the Upside is the band's weakest album.
    Completely disagree!
    Down On the Upside is a brilliant album.
    YESSS!!!! :cool:
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Mind Riot has to be their most underrated song. the vocals are mindblowing and it's lyrically one of cornell's best.

"I'm tied within...
    I'm luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"